Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 clicking sound near the rear wheel area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got mine fixed yesterday in San Francisco. Took them 4 hrs. Back to new and they also applied the dual motor badge. Covered under warranty. From the receipt:

Concern: Faint clicking noise from the rear when accelerating or decelerating. Heard when the windows are down.
technician lubricated both rear axles and bearing mating surfaces, replaced and torqued axle nuts, performed road test
and verified noise no longer present
Correction: General Diagnosis
Correction: Halfshaft - Rear Drive Unit - RH​
Is your car lowered?

Happy to report back that mobile service re-torqued my left rear axle nut and the sound disappeared. Reading from what other owners have reported on this thread, the problem seems to be the axle nut. The mobile service tech did mention that if it happens again, when I book an appointment, just mention Axle Click sound and service centre will know what you're talking about. Hope that helps

The Santa Clara SC removed my "wheels and cleaned the hubs". Click is gone. It seems like one of those maintenance issues they should advise customers and tire centers about since I was told this is a known issue that is easily avoided during tire rotations.

I'm just wondering how serious the issue is. Do I need to schedule a SC appointment immediately, or is this the kind of issue that can wait a few months?

If I only need to "remove the wheels and clean the hubs", like mmccking mentioned, I can do that myself. I'm really curious if this is specific to a certain set of wheels/rims. I have a P3D-, so I'm running 18" Aeros. Hubcaps left on (for now). Is everyone else who is experiencing this "click" on the 18's as well?

I'm just wondering how serious the issue is. Do I need to schedule a SC appointment immediately, or is this the kind of issue that can wait a few months?

If I only need to "remove the wheels and clean the hubs", like mmccking mentioned, I can do that myself. I'm really curious if this is specific to a certain set of wheels/rims. I have a P3D-, so I'm running 18" Aeros. Hubcaps left on (for now). Is everyone else who is experiencing this "click" on the 18's as well?
The mobile service tech mentioned to me that it does not pose a safety concern so you should be already. I'm on 18" Aero

Update: I now hear a different noise, a light thump when decell and accell, predominately from the rear driver side, and sometimes both rear sides. This have always been there, and masked by the louder click(s). We may have multiple problems at hand.

I had a clicking sound appear, from the left front wheel area, last week as I was backing my car out. The brakes also squealed, for the first time, as I was backing out. The clicking noise disappeared after about a half mile of driving. I have about 2K miles.

VIN 5XXX LR RWD 18k miles.
Clicking noise noticed last week.
Portland service lubed and replaced (single-use) rear axle nuts. Sound is gone now.

Was told that it will likely come back at some point. Warranty fix. Out of warranty cost will be about $60-$70. 1/2 hour labor and $10 parts.

No damage is being caused by the clicking, they said.

Reactions: enigmata
I was finally able to take my car into the SC for this issue. They gave me a loaner and said it may take a few days. It was ready within 24 hours. The sound is gone, so whatever they did worked. However, now I'm starting to hear the click on the other side! (rear passenger side). I hope I'm not going to have to take the car in every year to re-fix this issue.

I'm on a P3D-. I'm wondering if the parts on the Perf without PUP are weaker and less able to take the massive torque I put on them on a daily basis. The PUP included upgraded suspension, I wonder if the normal AWD suspension just can't take the pressure of a perf motor and a spirited driver.

So question for all experiencing this 'click': Are you on a P3D- as well? (i.e. 2018 perf without PUP)

I was finally able to take my car into the SC for this issue. They gave me a loaner and said it may take a few days. It was ready within 24 hours. The sound is gone, so whatever they did worked. However, now I'm starting to hear the click on the other side! (rear passenger side). I hope I'm not going to have to take the car in every year to re-fix this issue.

I'm on a P3D-. I'm wondering if the parts on the Perf without PUP are weaker and less able to take the massive torque I put on them on a daily basis. The PUP included upgraded suspension, I wonder if the normal AWD suspension just can't take the pressure of a perf motor and a spirited driver.

So question for all experiencing this 'click': Are you on a P3D- as well? (i.e. 2018 perf without PUP)

AWD and have the clicking as well. Same thing, took into service in May, was okay for couple days and clicking came back. This time it's the passenger side. Mobile tech coming out in July to lube the passenger rear axle.

I too now are experiencing the clicking noise from the driver side rear... been hearing it for a couple weeks now. Going to make an appointment to bring it in. Hopefully they know what to do. Thanks for the info you guys post here, I’ll fill them in if they play dumb, and tell me it’s within spec.

18 LR RWD w/ stock suspension.

Probably unrelated, but I have been hearing a clicking sound from the front left wheel at low speeds when making a right turn. I noticed this while exiting my work parking garage. I had an appt with Tesla but they sent me a Service Estimate that had a $97.50 charge for labor (diagnostics). I cancelled the appt for now since they couldn't tell me if/when that fee would be waived.

The car is going to a local shop for an annual state inspection so I may ask them to give it a quick look. I did a visual check and cannot see anything that might be loose or rubbing that would be causing the sound.