Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Cockpit Similar to LeEco LeSee

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I neither want nor need door handles, doors, or steering wheels to "auto-present." This is supposed to be a car. Not an SNL skit. No cool points awarded for auto-presenting steering wheels.
And remember the NASA adage: "All complex systems operate in the failure mode."
Robin

Would we all be here if Tesla didn't took some risks in their lifetime? I highly doubt it.

The FWD are an hate or love affair, but it's what truly defines the Model X. Compare the ratio of photographs of a static Model X with or without the FWD open. It's his (and not "it") personality. And I, for instance, love Tesla because they can think outside the box like no other car manufacture. Even if the final product has flaws. I love them.

No, the M3 is being designed and built as a more affordable, mass market, car that will help drive the world to more sustainable transportation. In order to do that the car has to appeal to a wide range of buyers. Adding things like self presenting steering wheels while cool to some, would be very unappealing to others and would end up relegating the car to the "it's for tech geeks" pile where regular users would not be interested in buying it.
I do agree with what you are saying here. But one thing that jdevon said:

I do think the Model 3 steering wheel will fold or move out of the way in some sort.
This (except the "fold" part) is something that is here already. The steering wheel on a lot of cars (including Model S+X if I have not misunderstood?) can move a bit forward and upward for easy access when entering or leaving the car. With the small/low dashboard of the Model 3 it should be possible to make it move even more up and forward. And therefor be "the Model 3 steering wheel will move out of the way in some sort".

image.jpeg

Tesla has changed the way we think about electric cars by doing what no other company has done, or even believed possible. But adding gadgets for gadget's sake that compromise reliability seems like a costly distraction, even though the drama of doors that open for you, or open in unexpected ways, is a draw for some. To me, it's Suess-ian. And, as the good doctor says, you have to know how.
Robin

View attachment 191067
Tesla has changed the way we think about electric cars by doing what no other company has done, or even believed possible. But adding gadgets for gadget's sake that compromise reliability seems like a costly distraction, even though the drama of doors that open for you, or open in unexpected ways, is a draw for some. To me, it's Suess-ian. And, as the good doctor says, you have to know how.
Robin
Dr. Seuss... that could totally be the title of a sex ed book. Maybe I just have a dirty mind....

Your statements contradict themselves unfortunately. The added features caused production delays hence ****ing themselves (Elon admitted it himself, but not in those words). Tesla/Elon vowed not to do with the Model 3.

That said, I'm not sure how the airbags would work with an auto presenting steering wheel...
Perhaps they can invent an auto presenting airbag? Teeheehee

• Funny
Reactions: JeffK
Would we all be here if Tesla didn't took some risks in their lifetime? I highly doubt it.

The FWD are an hate or love affair, but it's what truly defines the Model X. Compare the ratio of photographs of a static Model X with or without the FWD open. It's his (and not "it") personality. And I, for instance, love Tesla because they can think outside the box like no other car manufacture. Even if the final product has flaws. I love them.
There are so many grammatical errors in this post but your passion for Tesla outweighs them all ;)

There are so many grammatical errors in this post but your passion for Tesla outweighs them all ;)

Oh my... That is me trying to do a lot at once. English suffered a little (ok... a lot) but I'm glad the message and feeling went through. :)

Considering that English is likely not the poster's native language, I think he did a pretty good job expressing himself. Much better than I would have done in Portuguese. ;)

Well... you'll never know until you try it. You guys are most welcomed in Portugal, although you wont be seeing any SC any time soon, I suspect. ;)

Oh my... That is me trying to do a lot at once. English suffered a little (ok... a lot) but I'm glad the message and feeling went through. :)

Well... you'll never know until you try it. You guys are most welcomed in Portugal, although you wont be seeing any SC any time soon, I suspect. ;)
Me being too lazy to look and see where you were from = being embarrassed that I mentioned it. My apologies!

No, the M3 is being designed and built as a more affordable, mass market, car that will help drive the world to more sustainable transportation. In order to do that the car has to appeal to a wide range of buyers. Adding things like self presenting steering wheels while cool to some, would be very unappealing to others and would end up relegating the car to the "it's for tech geeks" pile where regular users would not be interested in buying it.

Well if the Model 3 was only being built with affordability in mind there would have been a conventional instrument cluster like the Model S. There isn't, and that is because Tesla has something else in mind. Something new and therefore likely more complicated than existing instrument clusters. Elon clearly stated that he wants to make vehicles that can be used autonomously as Uber like vehicles. If that is truly the case then a steering wheel that moves out of the way somehow makes complete sense.