Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 collision in autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We three in the car are fine, we were just shocked. I guess we depends on Autopilot too much.

I think this driver’s misfortune reminds us that we should not “rely on” autopilot at all.

Tesla makes that really clear on the screen when we activate beta features. I know the issue in this thread is not autosteer, but here is the example from autosteer, (because I have it handy), but the text is similar for other features.

“Autosteer is a driver assistance feature and does not make your vehicle autonomous. Please use it only if you will pay attention to the road, keep your hands on the steering wheel, and be prepared to take over at any time.”

“Autosteer is currently in Beta, which we say to encourage a higher level of vigilance.”

Reactions: Kmartyn
...I know the issue in this thread is not autosteer...

@xieshuai2011 indicated that the Autopilot was on so both the Autosteer and Traffic Aware Cruise Control were on.

The manual also said:

"Note: Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is a BETA feature."

I love Autopilot since I first bought in 2017 but of course, I have manually intervened quite a few times such as the scenario below that Autopilot was not braking fast enough for the certain change in traffic flow from 61MPH to a complete stop:

I appreciate the meaning of "beta" so my "Cruise Follow Distance" has always been at maximum 7 so I can have more time to react in case the system wouldn't timely.

Nevertheless, I still think I am much safer with Autopilot as long as I am willing to babysit the system.

We set up for 2 car distance. We are in the middle from traffic jam to normal traffic, I believe someone merged in our lane caused this hard brake in front us.
I feel like you left out something in your story. It seems like you probably weren't paying much attention to what was going on, on your second day of driving your car? Damn man.

Hope you have replacement insurance my friend.

It actually the second day we were driving, we didn't plug in the usb drive.
And we found later we don't have FSD installed on the first day!
I was thinking about a real dashcam. The TeslaCam is not yet a product.
You need to have front and rear recording in a wide angle and HD quality.
And also recording GPS speed, sound recording and x-y-z acceleration and deceleration
could be useful. (I have a BlackVue 900)

I have been in a similar situation to what you just experienced recently.
I had to do an emergency braking. There was no collision but it was close.

Note: I was wondering what really happened so I watched my video recording.
What I discovered from the rear camera recording was that two cars,
a Toyota Corolla and a BMW Serie 3, were chasing each other by doing a succession of zig-zag.

The two cars passed me on the left and the right at the same time, and
after passing me, the two cars almost collided side by side in front of me
while they were merging into my lane to pass other cars.

Honestly everything went very fast. And If there would have been a collision,
without the help of a video recording it would have been impossible to know what occurred.
I would have certainly been made responsible for rear ending the car in front of me.

Sorry about your loss and glad no one was hurt.

My nervousness level increases with decreasing following distance.

I just wish we had an option to vaporize tailgaters. Seriously, what is accomplished by following so close? TACC will not go faster because you're up Tesla's rear end :D

Hey iMoe,

Ever since moving from Vancouver to Toronto, the aggressiveness on the freeways here is night and day compared to BC in terms of tailgating. I was thinking, maybe having a reverse high beam would back the f*ck off people who don't respect physics. =p

Hey xieshuai2011,

Sorry to hear about your collision. I almost got into your same situation when my autopilot failed to slam on the brakes when the Rav4 in front of me couldn't stop in time and he swerved over to the shoulder lane to avoid hitting the suddenly stopped Prius in front of him.

Good thing I was paying attention and slammed on my brakes and skidded a few feet.....and since that incident, I now know that autopilot does NOT slam on brakes when following too close (1 car distance) and the car in front slams on brakes without warning.

Autopilot does decelerate rather quickly if the car in front is also rapidly decelerating....but after my near miss, I'm on pin and needles when wondering if autopilot will rapidly decelerate in time (a few times I just took over and braked myself).

Living with software is like a relationship, you have to get to know it over time and then you'll know the limits/bugs so that you can both compliment each other and take it to the next level. =p

Good luck with your repairs!

Reactions: SmartElectric
Dude, that seriously sucks. Glad you all came out ok.

That’s really strange to me though. I have my spacing set to 1 on my X, and I’m still a good few car lengths back from everything. I’ve never had my X fail to decelerate, often before the car in front of me has reacted. Really weird. I wonder if your AP wasn’t completely calibrated yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
Really weird. I wonder if your AP wasn’t completely calibrated yet.

Most of the time, Autopilot can brake for obstacles but in some scenarios, there have been reports of crashes, injuries and at least 3 confirmed deaths (the other additional unconfirmed fatal autopilot accident in China is still unconfirmed because the family does not trust Tesla to access the car's log).

The risk of failure to brake is increased if your Autopilot travels above 50MPH and encounters a complete stopped obstacle in front.

F87Tywd.jpg

That's the nature of current beta Autopilot: crashes, injuries, and deaths still can happen if the system is not supervised by a competent driver.

Last edited:
We had a collision with our new Model 3 last week, the car hit another car in front with autopilot turned on. Sadly, the autopilot didn't brake in time for the hard brake from the car in front us.

We had large damage and sent to Pfaff Autoworks in Vaughan for estimate with Insurance Appraiser. Is this correct option for me now? And do you think would this be a write off?
Is Pfaff Tesla certified? Tesla sent me to Excellence Auto in Vaughan, as their supposedly only certified shop in the Area. There were a few other Teslas in the shop, but mostly BMWs. They had published Tesla rates. The hourly charge doubles when they are working on aluminum.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Is Pfaff Tesla certified? Tesla sent me to Excellence Auto in Vaughan, as their supposedly only certified shop in the Area. There were a few other Teslas in the shop, but mostly BMWs. They had published Tesla rates. The hourly charge doubles when they are working on aluminum.

Pfaff Autoworks in the Tesla's website, we called Excellence Auto Vaughan, but they don't accept our towing car from accident.

It's tough enough for Autopilot to deal with events happening in its own lane.

Merging competency / cutting off scenario are advanced problems that might take a long time to solve.

AP sometimes misses the obvious cases to slow down when something is merging in. I've experienced this a few times lately with someone merging in without checking/assuming I'll let them in and the car keeps going forward (bumper to bumper hit like in the video). I took over and honked the driver ahead to pay attention.

You'd think the Ultrasonics should slow the car in that instance but somehow, the front camera + radar has precedence. I assume the car coming in at that angle is in the blind spot of the front camera/radar.

I think in this case.... The other guy was at fault.

What did insurance company said? I'm curious.

100% agree. Merging vehicle has to ensure the lane is clear before entering. I bet they didn't even look at their blind spot and assumed people would let them in. AP often keeps 1.5 car lengths from the car ahead, but if it misses the merging car like it did in the video, *sugar* happens.

I've over written similar situations quite a few times lately after 20.x.x

Reactions: shellderp
I had a near miss with AP on.. almost rear ended a car in front of me. I thought ap would stop for it and when it didn’t slow enough I realized I was feathering the go pedal. AP warns it will not break when you are in the other pedal. I managed to brake in time. Watch out for that go pedal while on AP!

Reactions: Vawlkus