Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Collision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey there.

Earlier today I was involved in a collision in my model 3 (let’s not mention only 100 miles on it and just picked up from delivery) I’m fine but the girl who hit the right front did so pretty fast exposing the metal. I’ve attached the photos but I’m thinking it will be deemed totaled because of the metal frame. Anyone else been through this process.

Attachments

• 56459325-D191-473D-8C8A-495989B2AF43.jpeg
    56459325-D191-473D-8C8A-495989B2AF43.jpeg
    701.8 KB · Views: 226
  • 223BB68A-A0DE-44B8-973C-461B6B3D01E1.jpeg
    223BB68A-A0DE-44B8-973C-461B6B3D01E1.jpeg
    497 KB · Views: 153
  • 7713F3DD-FB18-4862-BFB6-79832409C462.jpeg
    7713F3DD-FB18-4862-BFB6-79832409C462.jpeg
    573.5 KB · Views: 149
  • 14E47C6C-6310-4BB9-8D5F-8F1E37ECD80B.jpeg
    14E47C6C-6310-4BB9-8D5F-8F1E37ECD80B.jpeg
    479.3 KB · Views: 157
  • C2023E36-FF73-485B-A8C2-CCC1153D6F2C.jpeg
    C2023E36-FF73-485B-A8C2-CCC1153D6F2C.jpeg
    516 KB · Views: 147
The total loss is determined by your insurance company and they all tend to have differing standards. Body damage is not too bad, if the power train was damaged then more likely for total loss.
What version of the Model 3 do you have?

So sorry for your loss! It’s a gut punch when you should be enjoying your new car. Like h2oAok said, it depends upon your insurance company’s policy for loss declaration. But from what I see that should be recoverable.

My heart goes out to you, especially being so new although any first time hurts. Let us know how things work out for you. Did the other driver have insurance? Did you have a USB drive in for TeslaCam and get video?

Only somewhat positive would be that with stay-in-place, the repair shops are still deemed essential and hopefully any repair time wouldn't be long with fewer cars out there in accidents.

Hey there.

Earlier today I was involved in a collision in my model 3 (let’s not mention only 100 miles on it and just picked up from delivery) I’m fine but the girl who hit the right front did so pretty fast exposing the metal. I’ve attached the photos but I’m thinking it will be deemed totaled because of the metal frame. Anyone else been through this process.

The metal you see bent in the pictures is the left side of the crash bar (otherwise known as a ‘front energy absorber) and is designed to bend in an accident. That is not a hard item to replace.

Assuming no air bags deployed, it may not be a total loss, but it might to be pricey. This is what I see so far:
Front bumper cover
Left headlight
Left front fender
Crash bar
Front undercover
?driver’s door dented
?hood damage

Let us know what the body shop and your insurance company says. They should provide you with an itemized repair estimate.

The metal you see bent in the pictures is the left side of the crash bar (otherwise known as a ‘front energy absorber) and is designed to bend in an accident. That is not a hard item to replace.

Assuming no air bags deployed, it may not be a total loss, but it might to be pricey. This is what I see so far:
Front bumper cover
Left headlight
Left front fender
Crash bar
Front undercover
?driver’s door dented
?hood damage

Let us know what the body shop and your insurance company says. They should provide you with an itemized repair estimate.

Also, crumple zone at front of left front side rail appears intact. Assuming air bags did not deploy you should be good to go and will be good as new. Just take it to a well-regarded shop. If your insurance must respond, don't try to work a deal with the shop to save your deductible. That gives them a blank check to short-cut the repair. I offer this from my many years in the auto repair business. Heart breaking for sure, but this is why you pay insurance premiums. Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Absolutely not a total loss. There's maybe $5k-$6k in damage.

That's probably what it should be, but watch when you take it to a body shop they'll find a way to make it a $10-20K repair.

This is really the worst kind of accident from a repair perspective. It's definitely not enough to total the car, but now you have a car with 100 miles that will have had a lot of paint work, and there's a good chance it won't match well, and a good chance they won't align everything well. Sucks to start your ownership getting to barely enjoy the car as a new car before it has to go in for major body work. Now it's just an accident car.

It's always better to have your car totalled if its a commodity car like the Model 3 because getting good repair work is a gamble.

Last edited:
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Hey there.

any update? Curious to see what your repair estimate is, and what parts they are saying need to be replace.