Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 color and tire combos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of variability on installation cost depending on the extent of the work needing done. What does the quote all include? Will make big difference if just need a short run and add plug versus having to trench a new line and add a new panel, etc..

Zaphod,
Here are the details I obtained from the Tesla recommended guy, I explicitly asked him the gauge of wire, extra cost (if any) for an outlet a bit futher away from my panel (my panel is in the attached garage and is very close to where I will park the M3, the other M3 will be next to this one, I measured about 8.5 ft away, but that's along the ground distance, so will likely need 10 ft counting the sag from the M3 charger location down to the ground and back up to the HPWC/14-50 outlet)

$650 for 14-50 outlet:
using #8 for live and #6 gauge wire for ground
within 5 feet of panel
on 60 amps circuit on the panel
$800 for HPWC:
using #4 gauge for live and #6 for ground
within 5 ft of panel
on 90 amps circuit on the panel

Extra $/ft above 5 ft = $7.5/ft
He said it will take 4-6 hours for install and next day testing. I think he said they will do load calculation as well.

I didn't ask the other electrician (from Angies list) on gauge etc, his quote was $450 for HPWC hard wired in and $475 for 14-50 outlet.
It didn't sound like he would do load calc, but I did ask him if I can assume that if there are empty breaker slots in the panel that there is capacity? My panel pic attached.

KG

Attachments

• IMG_20170807_163533 - Edited.jpg
    IMG_20170807_163533 - Edited.jpg
    573.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20170807_163526.jpg
    IMG_20170807_163526.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 58
Man the more I look the more I like the midnight silver or the black with the aeros.

I thought I was done with this debate but I just keep looking at this post and realize .... like Jon Snow....I know nothing.

Red is a difficult color for wheels...could you please try a white car with white wheels? This is a very old photo, but just note how the white color seems less odd on the wheels....thanks!
View attachment 240564
The monochromatic look is very dated in my opinion. Something from the late 80's or early 90's, exactly like your picture of early 90's Eagle Premier. Haven't seen or even thought of one of those in many many years. :p

I'm totally confused by what color to pick. It would really help if I could see these things in person. I have a couple Q's for anyone who's seen these Tesla paint colors:
  • Does midnight silver show dust? I *HATE* black because I don't wash my car every hour. Or every day. Or even every week, so I must be practical to a color that looks good several days after being washed.... Is the midnight silver not too dark like black and can hide some dust? If you've owned a black car, you know what I'm saying
  • Same question about blue as 1st Q. Is the blue not too dark and reasonably hide dirt/dust?
  • Is the red bright or darker? I've seen photos of it where it looks "Pontiac" bright and others where it's richer, a little dark. Which is it?
Any insight appreciated. I will keep looking at Teslas that drive by...

I'm totally confused by what color to pick. It would really help if I could see these things in person. I have a couple Q's for anyone who's seen these Tesla paint colors:
  • Does midnight silver show dust? I *HATE* black because I don't wash my car every hour. Or every day. Or even every week, so I must be practical to a color that looks good several days after being washed.... Is the midnight silver not too dark like black and can hide some dust? If you've owned a black car, you know what I'm saying
  • Same question about blue as 1st Q. Is the blue not too dark and reasonably hide dirt/dust?
  • Is the red bright or darker? I've seen photos of it where it looks "Pontiac" bright and others where it's richer, a little dark. Which is it?
You can always get the car coated so the dust doesn't stick as well and can be easily rinsed off. It's at least an option.

White Wheels.PNG
The monochromatic look is very dated in my opinion. Something from the late 80's or early 90's, exactly like your picture of early 90's Eagle Premier. Haven't seen or even thought of one of those in many many years. :p
Fashion comes and goes...width of ties, lapels, hem lines all swing like a pendulum. Here's something more recent.....and BTW, lots of black wheels around, including on black cars which would still be monochromatic...just a different color. Anyway, this is just me grasping at some solution to the eye-pain I experience from the Aero wheels. Maybe I will just need to buy new 18" wheels.

View attachment 240817
Fashion comes and goes...width of ties, lapels, hem lines all swing like a pendulum. Here's something more recent.....and BTW, lots of black wheels around, including on black cars which would still be monochromatic...just a different color. Anyway, this is just me grasping at some solution to the eye-pain I experience from the Aero wheels. Maybe I will just need to buy new 18" wheels.
As we all know, opinions and what people like are all different. While I can appreciate the look, it just reminds me of Miami Vice days. The black wheel craze was cool (in my opinion) for a while, but I am so tired of seeing it now. Way too overdone. But like I said, to each their own.

Thanks 355rockit, I did get another quote from a regular electrician off of Angies List and he quoted $450 for HPWC hard wired into the panel and $475 for 14-50 outlet.
Will keep getting some more quotes.

Those are good quotes. Who provided them? I have heard good things on this forum about Benchmark and Bolen. I used Smart Charge Residential and they did good work but were pretty expensive -- around $700.

Not quite same as looking at complete car, but the showrooms have color samples you can look at. Or just look and S and X as they are the same colors.

As far as midnight silver, I think it would hide dust fairly well. It has a pretty good metallic flake which probably will hide some dust. I don't think it is too dark, but it will look much darker in low light. In bright sunlight, it is a nice rich gray color.

Blue shouldn't be too bad as well. I currently have a blue car in pretty similar shade and it inst too bad.

I think the red is fairly bright. I think the Pontiac color you mention was not a metallic, just solid color. The Tesla red is a multi-coat and has good metallic look to it. But with most color, depending on the lighting it can have varying look.

I am the same way, having hard time deciding on color. I never like red cars and I think the 3 pulls it off quite well.