Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Comfortable for Someone 5′ 2″?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5'1" driver here.

I sit "lounge" style in my M3 (low and stretched).

Seat : My seat is at the bottomost setting. The seat position has a wide range of ajustment and you can drive comfortably in any "style" at that height.

Mirrors : easily ajustable to proper "blindspot" mode to "i need to see the side of my car" mode

Rear visibility : I will echo other poster in saying that rearview is not the best /easiest on account of the slightly raised trunk. I see the following car's windshield and up, sometimes part of the top of the hood. However, I think visibility will go *up* if I raised the seat. Also, you can use the rearview camera to see behind. Honest review : you get used to it and it's a tiny speck vs what the car offers...

@buttershrimp : I call your MIL and raise you a nephew in the trunk

View attachment 337886

I'm just as "tall" as you are. This is the best car I've ever driven and part of that is due to the low dash in front, which means i can adjust my seat like a normal person! In every other car I've driven, I instinctively move the seat to the highest position possible as soon as i get into the car. I tried to do the same to the Model 3 when I first sat in it. I quickly realized adjusting to the highest position was waaaay to tall. Over the course of the next week, I kept adjusting my seat lower and lower. It is so easy to see over the dash. When I switch to other cars, I realize how much I'm constantly straining to see over the dash. Since I can now sit at a reasonable height, I can also move my seat a little further back than usual, which is the way I prefer it (gives me more room to stretch out my long legs ;)).

Rear visibility...eh...it is what it is. Not the best, but you learn to adjust to it. I don't think it's height related, I think everyone has the same not so great visibility out the back. I drove in a loaner S and I thought the rear visibility was so much worse .

5’2.5” here (gotta claim that extra .5!). At night you can’t see the headlights of cars close behind, and because it is dark it can be difficult to see their roof. The rear camera helps in those situations. Because the rear view ain’t great and is partially blocked by the rear headrests, I recommend learning to properly adjust your side mirrors for the blind spots. How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots

As far as seat adjustments, it has been fine for me, although the seatbelt shoulder adjustment could go lower IMHO.

The car is MUCH friendlier for short people than the S. I felt like I needed pedal extensions for my S to be far enough from the airbag and I had to keep one of those stupid seat belt pads on the belt to keep it from cutting into my neck.

Thank you for sharing your experiences!

Reactions: longshot49
I think most cars last a long time nowadays, even American ones. And the Japanese brands are no longer as rock solid as they used to be. I drove a Lexus IS250 that ended up having to have its engine taken apart for a piston ring issue at 70k miles. And I sold it just before the catalytic converter crapped out at just over 100k miles (it smelled like sulfur). We had a 2004 Honda Accord whose transmission disintegrated at about 75k miles on the freeway. That was fun. Took it to Honda and they said, "yeah, happens at about that many miles on most of those year Accords".

So I took a chance with my Volt, and have been very happy. Lexus and Honda had let us down on prior cars, so why not? Besides, we also own an Audi now so I figure the Volt will be the more reliable vehicle by a long shot. :p

Oh, and if you are expecting the Tesla to be the most reliable vehicle you have ever owned, you might be disappointed. They tend to use the first production cars sold as beta tests, so it will take a while to iron out the kinks.

Hi Az_Rael. I was doing a forum search for "Honda Accord" and saw your old post. I will be coming from a 2003 Accord, and I have been a 5000 miles a year driver so... I think I am around 75k miles now.

Has your Model 3 met your reliability expectations? ;)

Make an appointment to test drive. See if they’ll come to you. This is an expensive purchase to guess at, though, granted, many of us did, lol.

I requested a test drive on the website, the automated response said that test rides were not yet available for my area and that they would update me when they are. Haven't been contacted yet. I didn't call and talk to anyone, not sure who I would call!

Hi Az_Rael. I was doing a forum search for "Honda Accord" and saw your old post. I will be coming from a 2003 Accord, and I have been a 5000 miles a year driver so... I think I am around 75k miles now.

LOL, it has fully met my expectations. I tell people it is the most unreliable car I have ever loved anyway.

Reactions: Redding#2
That's a good suggestion. I don't expect special accommodations though, as they don't have a demand problem!
They will gladly test drive a car but since they have been busy they won’t reach out to you - so call again or just show up if close by. Car has rear view camera if you are worried about tailgaters - I never use mine - just move over and let those kind of people speed to their next stop in their stressed life. I feel so relaxed driving an EV that I have evolved into a calm driver (or just aging) ;). I still get to the destination first. My 2nd gen Volt was a constant din on rear visibility too and my MS75D has small rear window. Neither have been an issue and I have full range of rear vision with side mirrors properly set out. I know you will be fine. Good luck.

You'll be fine. Mt GF is also 5'2" and came from a honda accord! The M3 is her daily driver and it's great that the seats adjust and the steering wheel can adjust as well. If you are concerned with rear visibility you can always drive with the rear camera on. You get a pretty good view of what's behind you. But seriously you'll be fine. I will say I'm 5'8 and I still have trouble with the blindspots. They are really bad in the M3 IMO. So it's not just short people.

Just go for it! You won't regret it