Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Coming to Boylston St Showroom (Boston)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You beat me to the post!

I am planning on being there in the AM before they open. I actually saw a Model 3 in Dedham today, they have a few awaiting delivery on the lot :).

Now I'm too excited to sit inside one!

Anyone else going to be there early tomorrow?

Got invited to a pre-reveal tonight...I think because of referrals (4 for me).
Guys, the car feels...right!

WP_20180118_18_18_19_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: EdA and Bokonon
Got invited to a pre-reveal tonight...I think because of referrals (4 for me).
Guys, the car feels...right!
View attachment 274280

Wow, congrats on the invite! I logged on here to post Jon McNeill's picture from Twitter, but yours are much, much better!

I attended You You Xue's event at Dedham earlier this month, so I've sat (and ridden) in a Model 3, and I share your impression that the car just "feels right".

Hoping to drop by the store sometime this weekend, perhaps with my wife and son, who I'm sure are sick of listening to me babble about this car, so maybe they should just see it for themselves. :)

So last night (Tues 1/23/18), I met up with a friend of mine who's up in Boston from NJ. We were just going to go out to eat, when I asked him if he had seen a Model 3 in person yet. He hadn't, so when I told him there was one at the Boston store, he was all up for going. He's also a reservation holder (non-owner, non-employee, like me), having made his reservation about 1 1/2 months after the initial reveal.

We got to the store around 7:45pm, and besides 2 employees, there was maybe about 1/2 dozen people checking out the car. I again agree with everyone that it's MUCH more beautiful in person than any pictures. The Red looks incredible. And it was nice to finally see one in person 1) without being exceptionally dirty from thousands of miles of driving (You You's car), and 2) without sitting in sub-zero weather outside.

VIN on this car is: #vinbot 3560

We had full and unlimited access to all areas of the car. It was nice not to be pressured for time. So my buddy and I, being the seekers of any gaps/panel fitments/issues got to spend a lot of time checking things out. My thoughts:

The car is put together very very well. There were so many areas of concern about body panel fitment issues, especially around the trunk ,C-pillar and taillight areas when the RC's were out and about. In this example these areas looked perfect. Doors open and close solidly and have a great quality feel for them. The chrome trim around the doors lined up nicely. Hood also lined up really nicely too. Where I did see an issue, which is an areas others have pointed out is where the front fender, bottom of the A-pillar, and the front door meet up. There's a horizontal character line. That line was slightly higher on the fenders than on the door, almost indicating that the door should be re-hung about 1/6" higher. I know that's not much difference, and without looking at it super close, you probably wouldn't notice, but it was noticeable. Also, where the fender meets the bottom of the A-pillar wasn't flush on the vertical plane. Not sure if that's intentional or not. But where others posted pictures of bad alignments with the A-pillar and fenders, this one looked fine.

Wheels looked great and the rest of the exterior looked awesome.

Moving onto the interior....first off...the trunk. Much larger than I expected. It's great that there's no goosenecks from the trunk impeding into the trunk space. Made the trunk look really clean and large. I did notice that the trunk carpeting was starting to get a bit pulled up. Meaning the fibers were a lot higher than the rest of the carpet pile height. I quickly found the reason for this: the UMC cable kit bag that's included has a velcro backing on the back. When we were there, it was stored in the lower/hidden part of the trunk. However, it looks like it was previously velcro'd to the regular trunk carpeting. And after repeated pulling and tearing off this carpet, it made that area of the carpeting more "worn". Not sure I like this as far as durability of the carpeting is concerned. I also noticed this on the bottom of the frunk carpeting. The frunk has a strip of velcro on the top horizontal area of the plastic tub that makes up the frunk. And if you look at the underside of the frunk carpeting that grabs this velcro, you can see that the underside is doing the same thing (the velcro is pulling at the carpet fibers).

Frunk looked great..a bit bigger than I was expecting. There's some black plastic trim that lines the area around the frunk. And I noticed that where this trim meets the edge of the fender, there's significantly more of a gap than I think there should be. They could have lined the black trim edge with rubber and that way, it'd make a better seal with the fender edge. But again...my buddy and I were really really looking for anything to "pick at".

I was especially impressed with the interior, now that I got to spend a lot more time in it, versus the 2 mins I had at night in You You's car a few weeks back. This one had that "other" headliner. Glad I got to finally see this new material in person. And I was happy to see that it felt and looked better than what I was expecting. But I still definitely prefer the alcantara-type lining they had previously. It feels very much like what I have in my current car (2005 Mercedes C230 Sport Sedan), but the A-pillars and B-pillars have next to nothing in terms of padding material beneath them on the 3. On my car, if I press my finger on the A-pillar material, it leaves a decent indentation because it's much more padded on my car. No other issues with the fitment of the headliner anywhere inside.

Other areas that really impressed me was how comfortable and soft the seats and seating material were. Really top notch vegan leather they used here. I was also impressed with the screen and how bright, sharp and responsive it was. I got to spend a good 7-10 minutes sitting in the driver's seat, so I adjusted it to exactly how I'd have it set. The driving position was awesome, I liked the smaller steering wheel, and I had no issues reaching anywhere on the screen. In my current car, to reach the radio buttons is a decent stretch for me. Not in the 3 by any means. I thought I'd need some time getting used to looking to the slight right to see the information. But not at all. It actually felt "natural" to me. And other than the occasional rental car in Europe that has a center dashboard, I've never owned a car with a central "dash". I think I'll have no problem at all adjusting to this car.

When everything was said and done, I came away very impressed, and now I'm even more impatient in waiting for my car. I did have some concerns about the wear and tear I noticed on the carpeting materials, as well as some fitment issues, but putting these aside, Tesla should be proud for what they accomplished. A job well done!!

I am waiting for the SR battery and the white interior, but now, even though I want the car asap, I'm nearly certain I'm going to wait for the AWD model.

Here are some not so great pics I took last night....

0123182034.jpg
0123182012a.jpg
0123182029.jpg
0123182011a.jpg
0123182012.jpg
0123181951.jpg
0123181953.jpg
0123182011.jpg

--Cintoman

Reactions: Bokonon and Nikxice