Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Comparison to BMW 3 Series Pricing...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cab

Sep 5, 2013
Grapevine, TX
Since Tesla has indicated the Model 3 will compete with cars like the BMW 3 series and Audi A4 series and since it looks like there will be RWD, AWD, performance, etc. version of the Model 3 (just like the BMW and Audis), here is a picture of what BMW's pricing looks like:

Model-----------Base Price-----Loaded Price
320i-------------------$33,150-----------$47,970
320ixDrive---------$35,150
328i-------------------$38,350
328i xDrive--------$40,350
328d------------------$39,850
328d xDrive-------$41,850
330e------------------$43,700
340i-------------------$45,800
340i xDrive---------$47,800------------$63,145

328i xDrive Wagon----$42,650
328d xDrive Wagon---$44,150
328i xDrive GT---------$43,000
335i xDrive GT---------$49,200

M3--------------------$63,500--------------$77,995

Apologies for the formatting, but you get the idea. I would not be at all surprised to see Tesla's pricing range be very similar. Man though, BMW has a ton of friggin' variations on the three series!

This is why I think quite a few reservations will not get filled: After people realize the affordable Model 3 is not as affordable as they thought. A lease for a $42k car is approximately $500/month.

And if you want an entry level luxury car then buy a CPO BMW 328i for $25k. The 328 gets 40 mpg and you'll save $20k buying a used car.

This is why I think quite a few reservations will not get filled: After people realize the affordable Model 3 is not as affordable as they thought. A lease for a $42k car is approximately $500/month.

And if you want an entry level luxury car then buy a CPO BMW 328i for $25k. The 328 gets 40 mpg and you'll save $20k buying a used car.
No one wants a used 328i. That's like the car rich parents get their high school age girls.

That's a possibility of course, especially if the federal credits dry up before some of the folks who are stretching to get the Model 3's orders are filled. However, I'd consider it fair to factor in gas savings into the monthly budget. In my case, the car will be for my fiancee, who burns at least $150/mo in gasoline, at present prices. That savings can be immediately applied to the costs of the Tesla, making it much more reasonable, once again.

Meh, I'm replacing a 325ci and (after test driving a P70) I'd never replace it with another 3-series. I don't know if the Model 3 I'll get will accelerate like a P70... but it will accelerate like a Tesla electric car and that's all I need to know.

At the revel (10:13 mark) and on the Tesla site, Elon stated that the base Model 3 (RWD) will go 0-60 in less than 6 Secs. If we look at the base 70 (RWD) is states on the Tesla site that it does 0-60 in 5.5 Sec, and 5.2 Sec for AWD. You can make a general assumption that the Model 3 will do the same or better.

Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 12.33.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 12.33.16 PM.png

The base 2016 328i also costs $39k, according to car and driver. An awd Model 3 will be priced similarly. Still feeling lucky?
as EM tweeted that the D option would be <5K and the performance is better than RWD, I think that would be a pretty safe bet.
After all, it's only .8 second - Tesla can do that with an OTA software update :)

I will add that BMWs dont have the best reputation for out of warranty issues, so that could be factored into the cost. Parts and maintenance is expensive for them, so while the car is under warranty BMW handles that stuff without issues, but once that is over with, watchout! Its a common thing to hear people say "dont buy an out of warranty BMW" and anecdotally, its been true in my experiences so far.

While I agree that cancellations are always a concern, I think you're forgetting: as time goes on and we get closer to the reveal, I expect gas prices to go up again. People will start doing the math and realize you can save $$$$/year on gas.

5.8 according to the bmwusa site, or 5.7 with xDrive. Right in line with the base Model 3. I'm guessing when they called out the under 4 top line performance they had BMW M3 in mind.

If the M3 can't do better than my car, there will be some reconsidering. Theoretically they're attacking the number one enemy - weight.

I will add that BMWs dont have the best reputation for out of warranty issues, so that could be factored into the cost. Parts and maintenance is expensive for them, so while the car is under warranty BMW handles that stuff without issues, but once that is over with, watchout! Its a common thing to hear people say "dont buy an out of warranty BMW" and anecdotally, its been true in my experiences so far.

that's what extended warranties are for. a good extended will cost 3-4 k but give an owner coverage for an additional 4-5 years.

German cars are shop queens after about 60k miles.

Reactions: raysspl