Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 completely dead this morning. What an experience. [dead 12v]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well my issue seems to be worse than what I imagined. I selected roadside assistance from the app and selected ‘car won’t start’. A tow came 45 min later and jumped the frunk open, but couldn’t jump the main 12v battery after trying for 30 minutes. Next, Tesla mobile came by and put in a new 12v and still the car wouldn’t start up. Finally, another tow arrived and it was towed on rails just this evening. No idea what’s going on, but a new battery wasn’t able to wake up the car… I hope to hear more once the service center takes a look tomorrow AM. The car had 0 issues before this so this seems so strange and random.

Posted in another related thread, had same ordeal this past Friday, Tesla replaced the 12vbattery but it says that did not fix all issues so now waiting on further diagnostics.
Omg same thing just happened to my 2018 LR Model 3 on Friday - 2 wks after my warranty expired! Was charging my car overnight, when in the morning I got a bunch of back to back alerts saying my parking brake functions were degrading, my electrical system power was reduced & vehicle was shutting down, schedule service to replace my lv battery, and vehicle may not restart! So I immediately scheduled service for that morning and then went out to the car only to find it completely dead. I called roadside assistance and they were able to jump start the car and drive my car down my driveway to street level, load it to the truck and haul it to the service center. They replaced the battery but says that didn’t fix all the issues so further diagnostics are needed. I am wondering if the latest software update that was just installed a few days before the incident is what caused these problems? If so then Tesla should be fixing them on their dime! So far the estimate is only for the replacement of the battery at $130 but Im nervous waiting & dreading on what the final bill might be!!

Last edited:
Interesting enough, I told my co-worker (who also bought a 2018 M3 one month after me) about my 12V warning and replacement. He said "OMG, I just did mine last week!" Maybe they improved the software update and now give a much earlier warning messages to owner to replace 12v?

my boss' 1 month old M3LR 12V died this morning. it was plugged in overnight. they jumped the tow hole wire to release the charging plug, and towed it to a service center.
I guess this is a disadvantage of the new lithium batteries? Before, you could just disconnect the 12V, start the car up with external 12V, and just drive around with the 12V disconnected, as I understand it.

Is it easy to disconnect the 12V lithium with a standard 10mm (?, IIRC) wrench?

I guess this is a disadvantage of the new lithium batteries? Before, you could just disconnect the 12V, start the car up with external 12V, and just drive around with the 12V disconnected, as I understand it.

Is it easy to disconnect the 12V lithium with a standard 10mm (?, IIRC) wrench?
Not sure about M3, but on my model Y lithium battery negative is a ring connector held down by 10mm bolt. A little hard to access though, likely need to take out HEPA filter unless you have some long wrench. Positive pole is much easier to reach but I don't remember whether it's easy to disconnect.

Any update your Tesla?
Finally got my car back today. They had to replace the HV pack in addition to the 12v. This was the diagnosis and fix per the invoice:
4912B0C7-B963-4BF9-8EB3-8D9B272F3E76.png

The tech who worked on the car had already gone home so I didn’t get a detailed explanation as to what happened and why the HV battery failed after only 4 years and less than 20,000 miles on it. In any event hoping this fixed the issues.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
What a nightmare! Sounds like a lot of guessing going around.. Get a Bluetooth module and attach it to whatever battery you're using and document the history of whats going on with the 12V battery. You'll see a record of the charging, discharging, etc. This should help with the diagnoses.
I think you can get one here: lithiummoto.com/tesla-12v-battery