Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 connected to wi-fi but doesn't recognize it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Hello everyone,
My Model 3 was in the shop for a month. I just got it back home. There are new updates available but my car, even though it says it is connected to the wi-fi, says it will not download the update because it isn't connected to wi-fi. Has anyone else had this issue and how did you resolve it?

Thanks ahead of time.

I just had this happen and tried all the reboots to no avail. I finally opened a service request for software through the app and they resent the update to me over 4g and it installed fine. No service or mobile visit required. I would just get the ball rolling on that if I were you as it takes them a few days to get back to you via text.

Reactions: Grendal and ilyak
I just had this happen and tried all the reboots to no avail. I finally opened a service request for software through the app and they resent the update to me over 4g and it installed fine. No service or mobile visit required. I would just get the ball rolling on that if I were you as it takes them a few days to get back to you via text.

This is the right answer. Sometimes updates get “stuck” and Tesla has to be contacted to re-push. An appointment made through the app with the “software update” category should do the trick.

Reactions: Grendal
Hello everyone,
My Model 3 was in the shop for a month. I just got it back home. There are new updates available but my car, even though it says it is connected to the wi-fi, says it will not download the update because it isn't connected to wi-fi. Has anyone else had this issue and how did you resolve it?

Thanks ahead of time.
First try changing the wifi channel, and if that doesn't work, setup a service appt for software.

This is the right answer. Sometimes updates get “stuck” and Tesla has to be contacted to re-push. An appointment made through the app with the “software update” category should do the trick.

I believe that your advice may be for updates from last year and before. Now since the car can check for an update, and that the app can as well, you know when it is waiting.
I had a similar issue recently, it just needed a better WifI connection.

I believe that your advice may be for updates from last year and before. Now since the car can check for an update, and that the app can as well, you know when it is waiting.
I had a similar issue recently, it just needed a better WifI connection.

My advice is for situations when the car has been marked for an update but the download process gets stuck on "connect to wifi to download" or "downloading update". So far, stuck downloads have been reported here for pretty much every major version.