TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 console wrap

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Austindude, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Austindude

Austindude Member

I decided to try installing a brushed titanium center console wrap from RPM Tesla. (I'm sure the wrap from Evannex would have worked equally as well.) Anyway I watched the install video a number of times until I was brave enough to make an attempt at install. I did use a slightly different technique than what they showed because I had wrapped my laptop previously and it worked well for me (no bubbles or wrinkles). In my case I didn't peel off any more of the backing paper than I needed to as I started the install, I just folded the paper back underneath and released more vinyl as I went along. as you can see from the photo's I didn't do the greatest install job but I'm sufficiently pleased not to try again.

Attached Files:

• Like x 12
  2. MosquitoFloss

MosquitoFloss Member

Looks great. Did you find that the cut was sufficient to cover all of the area? I saw in another thread that someone thought RPM's cuts were coming up short.
    Waiting for my car, but I have the wrap here ready to do!

3. Austindude

Austindude Member

MosquitoFloss, no I didn't find the cut coming up short but working around the cup holders was somewhat difficult. I messed up and in one section I didn't quite cover one edge of the cup holder. This mistake however was my fault however and not due to the cut of the vinyl. From the video's it looks like the Evannex wrap has a slightly different and longer cut with tabs so maybe that is what some others are referring to?

4. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

I think you did a better job than the guy in their video.

I'm waiting on evannex to post theirs so I can see the price difference. If they are comparable, I'll likely go with evannex because I do want sidewall coverage for the pieces that move.

5. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

I did a pretty crappy job with the black brushed metal console wrap from RPM. I’ve never worked with vinyl before so I accidentally stretched the part around the cup holders when I was trying to realign things. I can clearly see myself where I screwed up but it’s fine for now. At a quick glance is still looks pretty good. The main goal was to stop all of those damn fingerprints so at least I accomplished that. I may redo it again at some point and be more careful the second time around.

C67DB183-6EE3-4F28-91B4-1B90D54A8F16.jpeg

• Like x 8
  6. Bad Horse

Bad Horse Member

Those installs both look great, hard to really see bad flaws. Can't wait to install brushed titanium into mine, when I get it.

7. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

I'm torn between brushed titanium and brushed black metal....any thoughts?

8. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

Thanks for mentioning them. I hadn't run across them yet, and am really digging the Nebula Charge Port Skinz (I work in the space industry).

• Like x 2
  9. Bad Horse

Bad Horse Member

The reason I am getting brushed titanium is because it matches the air vent near the top (there is a rpm tesla vid showing this) and the entire interior is already black, it would be nice to break it up, subtly of course

• Like x 2
  10. SoCalMom

SoCalMom Member

I posted pics of my brushed titanium install in the other thread: Covering gloss black console with satin SunTek film.

If I had to do it again, I would get the brushed black metal. We ordered the titanium before we got the car, the vinyl arrived about a week after took delivery. I got used to the gloss black and I love how dark everything is at night. I also think the brushed black metal would make the very very small misaligned gap even less obvious since it's black on black, instead of silvery metal on black. However, I still really really like the brushed titanium too. It looks great.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  11. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

I'm really torn. I initially though the brushed titanium would be the best choice because it matches the dash strip...But, then I read @SoCalMom thoughts and that is the input I'm looking for. Tesla could have installed any color they wanted and chose black. Granted the piano glossy black isn't practical at all. I think a texture vs glossy or satin is possibly cool....but black or titanium? I'm sort of leaning brushed black based off @SoCalMom's experience.....

12. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Tezler Guru

Did anyone of you who installed this, install the matching door switch pieces as well?

13. scrapps

scrapps Member

Thanks for posting this Austindude. I'm going to go through this process with the same wrap when I get the car on Saturday. Looks great!

14. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

Not yet but I’m planning on doing it sometime soon.

Damn it, why did you have to post this? Now I want the lightning one...

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  15. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

Thanks, had been debating which color as well. I tracked that down to this video, which shows the different wraps - brushed titanium is from 0:45 to 1:45.

• Informative x 1
  16. run-the-joules

run-the-joules Active Member

I did, and STRONGLY recommend against them, at least in the brushed titanium. They're not a particularly great fit and the edges of the material don't look very good in context because of the design of the switches themselves. I removed them as soon as I was done installing. If someone does full replacements it'd be one thing but the spaces between the buttons/switches and their surrounding flat surfaces make the fact that it's just a sticker stand out, a lot.

Maybe in the matte black or black metal looks they look better, though.

• Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 2
  17. UZJedi

UZJedi Member

That looks great. How much were the materials?

18. SoCalMom

SoCalMom Member

I was thinking about this yesterday. My original thought was that the titanium would break up the black. But I was wondering why I feel differently now. Our other car is a Prius with a dark grey or black interior. There is SO much dark plastic in there, it envelops you. The dash is high and comes out so far, that thing in the middle is so big and takes up so much room. When I drop something on the ground, even in daylight, it's so hard to find since it's so dark in there. But in the 3, it's so airy and open and simple. The dashboard sits lower and is so streamlined. When I'm sitting in the passenger seat, I almost feel naked...I'm not used to seeing so much of my legs/feet in front of me when I'm sitting in a car. The large windows and glass roof let in plenty of light (haven't felt much heat...yet) and so even though it's all black inside, it doesn't feel too dark. I can easily find anything that drops on the ground. So I guess now, all that black feels harmonious and the titanium sort of breaks up that feeling just a little.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  19. troyhouse

troyhouse Member

I would like to find a good installer in Chicagoland area. I will buy the kit from RPM but will need someone to install it. Can someone suggest?

20. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Tezler Guru

Huh, that's interesting. I was looking at possibly getting the black brushed metal after I got my car. I was on the fence with the door switches. I had watched the installation videos from RPM Tesla and it didn't look so bad, I'm assuming yours did not look anything like that?

How do you like the colour difference from the center console area to everything else that's piano black in the car? Thank you for your insight.