Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 console wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two of the three glossy parts are easy to remove. You just pry off the soft touch side panels (about 6-7 clips, and it pulls right off), them remove the aluminum side rails that are attached with half a dozen sxrews. Removing the phone door is harder, the hinge has a screw on each side, then there is a third screw on the left side that you have to hold the door in a certain position to reach. Be careful not to drop the screws into the console! The cup holder also pops off, but it took a scary amount of force. That tiny area has about seven clips holding it in place, plus you have to be careful not to rip the wiring harness for the key reader. I think removing the storage door (the middle of the three pieces) would require disassembling most of the center console, which I wasn't able to do.

It looks amazing, and was worth the effort.
Did you by any chance take photos, with the cup holder piece removed?

Reactions: drewbaumann
It'll be competitive :) I'm not trying to be evasive, I can't quite finalize the price until the end of the week; there's no customs charges for once as it's all done in-house, but the main recurring cost are the materials, and I'm trying to optimize that as best we can, but the approach we've taken to how it's all laid out means there's more waste than is ideal (but makes for a simpler install).
Just a followup, all the options are live on our site now, and having fitted and removed ~30+ of them, I'm kind of an expert now :)

Awesome! Thanks Pete! I received mine yesterday. (With the screen protector). Everything was packed very securely. Can't wait to find a bit of time to install.
Ok, to all those on the fence, install was easy. The transfer film over the cupholders was a great idea! I'm certain I would have screwed it up without that.
This material is very forgiving, I did pull up a corner or two a couple of times to get the alignment right. No issues pulling it up and putting it back down.

Instead of getting the kit and then installing it. I just got the XPEL transparent film installed on the console, door jams. It’s transperent so looks same as factory but provides good experience.
I would, but mine already had too many surface scratches upon delivery (and now, after 3 weeks of going back and forth from the service center to the body shop twice), I prefer something that will conceal the glossy surface.

Reactions: troyhouse
A couple of images of the Abstract Ocean brushed steel wrap. The cupholder cutout was absolutely perfect!
IMG_20180517_080104586.jpgIMG_20180517_080119003.jpg

A couple of images of the Abstract Ocean brushed steel wrap. The cupholder cutout was absolutely perfect!
View attachment 301845View attachment 301846

Looks more precise than the RPM Tesla cutouts, which are clearly done by hand. Interesting AO decided to go with a vertical grain pattern on the brushed metals. Something seems off about the way it looks to me and I think I prefer the grain running horizontally to match the same direction as the prominent lines of the dash. That said, it looks like you did a great job getting it on there.

• Informative
Reactions: sskj and Craig-Tx
IMG_1861.JPG
IMG_1862 2.JPG
I was at RPM Tesla yesterday getting a bra installed and got to see the new Gen 2 console wraps. I had previously done the clear 3M wrap but decided I didn't like it as it still shows finger prints and oil from hands so I am getting the new Get 2 Titanium brushed metal wraps. I can tell you that they don't hand cut these. They are done on a large plotter as I got to watch some being done. Mark showed me his latest installation video on the new Gen 2 wraps and they appear to be much easier to install than the first ones. I will report back once I have received and installed them. In the meantime, here is a link to the new installation procedure:

By the way the front bra wrap is fantastic. They did a great job on it. A couple of quick photos above. It sure does take some worry about flying rocks and road debris off my mind.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: pmich80
I wathed some of the video and this guy gives some not so good advises like clean with windex - no, you don't want to use windex or any ammonia based product. 70% isopropyl alcohol is all you need. In the cupholder cutout - you don't want to start from the middle of the arch and make your way to the corners. You do the oposite - start from corners and go toward the arch/ straight part in between the cup holders. Doing this you spread the tension from the corner where is likely to form wrinkle to the oval part. You don't want to go all the way from the first pass, you have to do it in couple of passes /like first half the way and the second all the way/. Doing this you avoid wrincles and spread the tension evenly. You don't want tension at thr edges.

Also, dont chase the bubbles, this tretches the material, if you have trapped air don't get it to one small bubble but leave it wide and pres straight from the top with palm or finger, slowly and let the air to find it's way out trough the air release channels of the material.

Remember - when you have corners always start from there /hard part first/.

I still believe thet people should get proper training and experience before teaching others

View attachment 302151 View attachment 302153 I was at RPM Tesla yesterday getting a bra installed and got to see the new Gen 2 console wraps. I had previously done the clear 3M wrap but decided I didn't like it as it still shows finger prints and oil from hands so I am getting the new Get 2 Titanium brushed metal wraps. I can tell you that they don't hand cut these. They are done on a large plotter as I got to watch some being done. Mark showed me his latest installation video on the new Gen 2 wraps and they appear to be much easier to install than the first ones. I will report back once I have received and installed them. In the meantime, here is a link to the new installation procedure:

By the way the front bra wrap is fantastic. They did a great job on it. A couple of quick photos above. It sure does take some worry about flying rocks and road debris off my mind.
Sigh, my Tesla experience just keeps getting better. I just received gen 1 center console today from an order on 4-30. I hope I'm eligible for the updated version.

I believe Mark said in the video that he would update anyone that requested it. He really does work to try and please his customers. You should see all of the Teslas that show up at his shop and some of the beautiful work they do. I was there for a whole day while they did my wrap so I go to see first hand while I waited. I also got to talk to a lot of his employees and they are a very dedicated group working hard and often late into the evening and on weekends. Gus, is Mark's manager and he has been with RPM and Mark for 20 years. You couldn't ask for a nicer guy to work with.

I can only report what I saw and what Mark said to me. He is very sensitive to problems a customer may encounter with a product and is constantly striving to make the products easier for an inexperienced DIYer to install and/or use his products. The Gen 1 product worked just fine, I know I installed one on my 3. I since realized that my idea of preserving the OEM appearance was not the best idea as finger prints are an issue with a clear material so I am changing to the metallic finish. It was my first attempt at trying to do something like this and I have to admit that it wasn't easy and it took me a while to do my install and it wasn't perfect. I am hoping my second attempt will be better and easier with Gen 2 and will report back once I get it and install it. I'll include pictures.

As for stealing ideas, I can't say but this is pretty common in many businesses that are selling the same or similar products. Each will borrow ideas from the other and all are too small to go to the expense to protect their intellectual property, especially when the products may have a limited life.

I can only report what I saw and what Mark said to me. He is very sensitive to problems a customer may encounter with a product and is constantly striving to make the products easier for an inexperienced DIYer to install and/or use his products. The Gen 1 product worked just fine, I know I installed one on my 3. I since realized that my idea of preserving the OEM appearance was not the best idea as finger prints are an issue with a clear material so I am changing to the metallic finish. It was my first attempt at trying to do something like this and I have to admit that it wasn't easy and it took me a while to do my install and it wasn't perfect. I am hoping my second attempt will be better and easier with Gen 2 and will report back once I get it and install it. I'll include pictures.

As for stealing ideas, I can't say but this is pretty common in many businesses that are selling the same or similar products. Each will borrow ideas from the other and all are too small to go to the expense to protect their intellectual property, especially when the products may have a limited life.

I agree, you should always update, improve and iterate. I do believe RPM wants to do right by their customers, but the public outbursts that they've had against their competitors and customers needs to stop if they want to continue growing their business. I know for me, it's made me hesitant to spend more money with them. They could really benefits from hiring someone with customer service or a PR background. Not sure how feasible that is for a a small company though

The place is pretty hectic due to people like me that live in the area (me 40 miles away) coming during the day and they don't have a retail store front or retail sales staff. Mark told me he is hiring a full time customer service person starting on Monday. Of course, it will take a little time for the new person to come up to speed. :)

I agree, you should always update, improve and iterate. I do believe RPM wants to do right by their customers, but the public outbursts that they've had against their competitors and customers needs to stop if they want to continue growing their business. I know for me, it's made me hesitant to spend more money with them. They could really benefits from hiring someone with customer service or a PR background. Not sure how feasible that is for a a small company though
I’ve given up on RPM. Their post-sales support is totally hit or miss (sometimes they email back, often they don’t, and even when they do, they don’t always follow through on their promises).

AO, on the other hand, has been flawless in their communication and delivery.

That said, I do prefer the east-west orientation of the grain.

Thanks @fseir We could do the east-west grain run if there's demand. The reason for our north-south is that we cut each piece from a continuous run of vinyl rather than separate pieces, to ensure everything lines up and there's no color variations. Right now we're trying to limit the number of options on the website as many customers just don't really understand the different in the run of the grain, and we want to ensure we can turn orders quickly, but as we build up inventory we can look at other options. I've also been messing around with embedding the ≡ logo in the film (flushed in, not stuck on top of the vinyl), but again, I need to focus on inventory and process before getting creative! Creative is fun though ;)