Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 : control arm disengaging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody have the torque specs for suspension bolts?
Here you go!

1666282163698.png

You should consider a Toyota Camry or Nissan Sentra.
1)the model 3’s battery doesn’t cost $16k. He’ll even a ms 85 pack isn’t that much. The 3 only has a 60kw pack.

2)I own a Toyota. For my model S it cost me $528 for two control arms including labor. I also had to replace the control arms on my Toyota (shocking I know. Other types of cars also need to have this type of work done) and it cost $987 for two control arms. I had to replace a door handle on my tesla $310 similar component on my Toyota and it was $632. Just because you think it’s cheaper. It’s not cheaper. At the end of the day my Toyota (which is 2 years newer) has cost me way more out of warranty that my tesla has. Just some food for thought.

• Informative
Reactions: DocHolliday
1)the model 3’s battery doesn’t cost $16k. He’ll even a ms 85 pack isn’t that much. The 3 only has a 60kw pack.

I am not sure what you mean by this, but:

1. The model 3 battery has had an install cost quoted to people of around that much
2.The model 3 standard range battery is 60kW. The AWD / Performance trim has an 82kW pack so I am not sure what you mean by "the 3 only has a 60kw pack".

Reactions: tm1v2
Thanks. Checked it and it was ~1/4 turn away from the torque spec. Had a slight suspension noise that I though was an upper ball joint, but noise is, so far, gone; only took it around the block but it usually made noise pulling out of my driveway. Might be a good idea for people to check the torque just in case.
how did you reach both bolts? i can see just one when lying on the ground next to the car but not the other?

one would hope crawling under your car and checking torque specs for absolutely crucial bolts on a 3 yr old vehicle isn't what's needed....

Reactions: pnwadventures
how did you reach both bolts? i can see just one when lying on the ground next to the car but not the other?

one would hope crawling under your car and checking torque specs for absolutely crucial bolts on a 3 yr old vehicle isn't what's needed....
I have long ramps to work on cars. Drove the Tesla up and removed these 5 bolts (below). The cover flexes enough to get to the control arm bolts.

Screen Shot 2022-10-21 at 8.32.45 AM.png

@Alysashley79 No a new Model S 85 pack isn't cheaper. A new replacement pack for your S 85 would be about $19k-$23k installed. You are probably thinking about the cost of another crappy old used, chargedgated pack, which will run about $11k installed from Tesla.

The new pack will give you much faster Supercharging speeds, a bit more capacity, and likely much better reliability / expected life...but does cost twice as much, quite possibly the entire value of the car in working condition.

So $16k for Model 3 SR+ or MR pack replacement with a brand new one sounds about right to me, depending on its exact size. From what I understand there's significantly more labor involved to replace the pack on a Model 3 than on an early Model S which was designed for fast battery swap. (Though I haven't come across an actual service invoice from an out-of-warranty Model 3 pack replacement yet so I'm kind of speculating on the labor being higher.)

And like @jjrandorin said, many of us have Model 3's with 79-82 kWh packs. The 82 kWh pack in my Model 3 is not going to be much cheaper than an 85-90 kWh S pack (the size range Tesla would install in an S 85 - they won't put 100 kWh packs in the RWD cars).

I have an early Model S P85, which already had one pack replacement under warranty, and I'm well out of warranty now. So I've been familiarizing myself with the options. For used packs there are a few 3rd parties that have more appealing options and pricing than Tesla, but availability is limited.

Reactions: XPsionic
I have long ramps to work on cars. Drove the Tesla up and removed these 5 bolts (below). The cover flexes enough to get to the control arm bolts.

View attachment 866145
thank you! this is what i suspected... impossible to check unless you can lift the car or have a ramp. hoping for Tesla that this doesn't become more of an issue or fatal accidents... because it clearly is NOT an item the customer can readily check or reasonably should be required to check...

Reactions: XPsionic
@Alysashley79 No a new Model S 85 pack isn't cheaper. A new replacement pack for your S 85 would be about $19k-$23k installed. You are probably thinking about the cost of another crappy old used, chargedgated pack, which will run about $11k installed from Tesla.

The new pack will give you much faster Supercharging speeds, a bit more capacity, and likely much better reliability / expected life...but does cost twice as much, quite possibly the entire value of the car in working condition.

So $16k for Model 3 SR+ or MR pack replacement with a brand new one sounds about right to me, depending on its exact size. From what I understand there's significantly more labor involved to replace the pack on a Model 3 than on an early Model S which was designed for fast battery swap. (Though I haven't come across an actual service invoice from an out-of-warranty Model 3 pack replacement yet so I'm kind of speculating on the labor being higher.)

And like @jjrandorin said, many of us have Model 3's with 79-82 kWh packs. The 82 kWh pack in my Model 3 is not going to be much cheaper than an 85-90 kWh S pack (the size range Tesla would install in an S 85 - they won't put 100 kWh packs in the RWD cars).

I have an early Model S P85, which already had one pack replacement under warranty, and I'm well out of warranty now. So I've been familiarizing myself with the options. For used packs there are a few 3rd parties that have more appealing options and pricing than Tesla, but availability is limited.
Just out of curiosity. Where are you getting your info on a “new” 85 pack for ms? You are aware that tesla hasn’t actually made an 85 pack for several years. They put 90 packs into the old 85 packs. And then software limit the cars to 85kw.

I had a 90 pack out into my ms in July. It charges fast and slams into max charge at high soc because it’s limited. It was around 55kw when it was done. That was quoted install and battery at $11k which included a new 12v and some links that had to be replaced because a bigger battery. The quote was an accident because it was under warranty but they confirmed that would be my cost.

In the event of the 3 they handle it the same way. Reman packs. If you’re outside of warranty and paying. It’s a reman pack.

Just out of curiosity. Where are you getting your info on a “new” 85 pack for ms? You are aware that tesla hasn’t actually made an 85 pack for several years. They put 90 packs into the old 85 packs. And then software limit the cars to 85kw.

I had a 90 pack out into my ms in July. It charges fast and slams into max charge at high soc because it’s limited. It was around 55kw when it was done. That was quoted install and battery at $11k which included a new 12v and some links that had to be replaced because a bigger battery. The quote was an accident because it was under warranty but they confirmed that would be my cost.

In the event of the 3 they handle it the same way. Reman packs. If you’re outside of warranty and paying. It’s a reman pack.
I'm guessing that accidental quote was for a refurb, if it was for $11k. I've been following some of the replacement pack stories on these forums and $11k is very typical for a refurb. I haven't seen any reports of a new pack being offered for that cheap.

If you buy a new pack the usable size should not be software limited. If it is it's a mistake, get Tesla to fix it, they surely billed you for the full pack.

Your warranty replacement new pack is a different situation. For that, software limiting to the size of your original pack is typical.

You're lucky to have received a new, faster charging pack under warranty! I believe old refurbished packs are more common.

I'm guessing that accidental quote was for a refurb, if it was for $11k. I've been following some of the replacement pack stories on these forums and $11k is very typical for a refurb. I haven't seen any reports of a new pack being offered for that cheap.

If you buy a new pack the usable size should not be software limited. If it is it's a mistake, get Tesla to fix it, they surely billed you for the full pack.

Your warranty replacement new pack is a different situation. For that, software limiting to the size of your original pack is typical.

You're lucky to have received a new, faster charging pack under warranty! I believe old refurbished packs are more common.
Again I’ll ask where you’re getting your info that tesla is offering “new” replacement batteries. They don’t. Call them and ask. They don’t. They’re all reman

Again I’ll ask where you’re getting your info that tesla is offering “new” replacement batteries. They don’t. Call them and ask. They don’t. They’re all reman
@Alysashley79 Here's two examples. There's more, just search to find them, I would use Google search with "site:teslamotorsclub.com" over the builtin forum search for this.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/service-says-22k-for-new-battery-on-2012-model-s.221438/
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/2013-tesla-model-s-p85-battery-failed.279554/

@Alysashley79 Here's two examples. There's more, just search to find them, I would use Google search with "site:teslamotorsclub.com" over the builtin forum search for this.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/service-says-22k-for-new-battery-on-2012-model-s.221438/
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/2013-tesla-model-s-p85-battery-failed.279554/
I know it seems like “new” but they haven’t made any 90 packs in years. They’re just putting reman packs on. My invoice doesn’t say one way or the other but I was told they’re ALL reman.