Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 cracked glass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a lot of conflicting information on what, exactly, the orange tint is from but it has been confirmed that all glass has the UV and IR blocking whether or not it has that tinge. When you get it replaced, there is a very good chance the replacement will not have that characteristic - it seems to be on the way out.

Recently got my Model 3 a few weeks back and I've got a stress crack on my rear window out of nowhere as well.. Sounds like a serious issue and Tesla needs to look into it. Especially after their consumer reports recommendation
was removed because of this.

@Syltann, I hope you have already filed a "problem" complaint through NHTSA.org, as I had. I've already filed it after in contact at all levels but Tesla still refused to accept responsibility to fix it on my Model 3. I personally think we are as conscious consumer have to make our voice heard in order for them to think twice. :)

I have the same problem. Find the crack on the same day after I drive it off the delivery lot. Based on my research, the cracks will eventually developed into a Tesla logo shape.

Oh no...another cracked glass. Would you post some pictures so other have a better idea? Your case definitely is a "stress related defect" and so was mine. I look forward to how they will handle yours?

Oh no...another cracked glass. Would you post some pictures so other have a better idea? Your case definitely is a "stress related defect" and so was mine. I look forward to how they will handle yours?
IMG_20190401_180423.jpg

The crack was on the middle of the car to the passenger side. It is perpendicular to the windshield and roof glass. Right now it is about 4-5 inch, but I am sure it will grow.
IMG_20190401_181446.jpg

I also have a driver door rubber sealant that is not tugged into the frame. But the delivery person just keep telling me it is ok and ask me not to worry about it. I am not sure if I need to be worried. The build quality of model 3 was really below my expectation.

I found the following crack yesterday, although I don't know how long it has been there. Lower left side of rear window. Will take into Tesla to see about repair.View attachment 402156 View attachment 402157

Oh no, another "cracked glass" customer...bummer. I look forward to see how Telsa "tech" would analyze to determine the caused of the crack. I still have not got my replace yet...

I ordered my performance M3 a couple weeks ago and it arrived this Saturday at the service center in Kansas City, Missouri. I was scheduled to accept delivery on Monday at 10am. However, I received a call on Saturday with some news that I don't know what to make of it. They told me while inspecting the car upon arrival, they noticed a crack in the roof glass. They are unable to give it to me until that is fixed. I asked how long it will take and they told me a few hours if they have the parts to replace in. If not, they will have to order from another location and could take up to 4 weeks. I'm expecting a call from them tomorrow morning to see if they can fix it, but I feel really sh!tty about spending 70,000 on a car that has already been serviced. They told me the best thing they can do is pay for my Uber when the car is fixed so I don't have to worry about arranging another driver to come with me. Why couldn't this just be perfect?!

I ordered my performance M3 a couple weeks ago and it arrived this Saturday at the service center in Kansas City, Missouri. I was scheduled to accept delivery on Monday at 10am. However, I received a call on Saturday with some news that I don't know what to make of it. They told me while inspecting the car upon arrival, they noticed a crack in the roof glass. They are unable to give it to me until that is fixed. I asked how long it will take and they told me a few hours if they have the parts to replace in. If not, they will have to order from another location and could take up to 4 weeks. I'm expecting a call from them tomorrow morning to see if they can fix it, but I feel really sh!tty about spending 70,000 on a car that has already been serviced. They told me the best thing they can do is pay for my Uber when the car is fixed so I don't have to worry about arranging another driver to come with me. Why couldn't this just be perfect?!
A regular car dealer would have replaced it, and you would never know. Feel good that they inspected it and caught the problem before handing it over.

Reactions: C141medic
If you can, try another service center. Some are so much better than others. There is obviously a problem with the glass or installs. Ask them how many they have in stock. None because lot of folks have cracks and they ran out.

A regular car dealer would have replaced it, and you would never know. Feel good that they inspected it and caught the problem before handing it over.
Exactly. I wish they would’ve checked mine prior to delivery and fixed the issues prior. As it was, didn’t have the car for at least 3 weeks due to body shop repairs immediately after delivery. The final result was that everything was taken care of and I love my Model 3.

My front roof glass cracked yesterday. I coincidentally had a service center appointment on the same day (A/C problems). They didn't try to blame me for the crack at all and it seemed like they were fully aware that it is a common problem. My only hang up was that I had the glass roof tinted and now I'm out of pocket the cost of getting it redone. This is the 4th time my M3 has been in the service center and as much as I love the car, the inconvenience is wearing on me.

I found the following crack yesterday, although I don't know how long it has been there. Lower left side of rear window. Will take into Tesla to see about repair.View attachment 402156 View attachment 402157
Hi, what happened with your crack? I have the same exact crack. There was no accident or any rock .. it just appeared suddenly the exact same place lower left side rear window.

Attachments

• 20190816_193021.jpg
    20190816_193021.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 111
Good news! Went to the service center around mid July and they agreed the crack was a warranty issue. Replacement glass was not in stock. Made another appointment for ~3 weeks later and they did the replacement. Car was in at 8am, out by 4pm after the glue set.

They said it is a warranty issue if the crack is on the inside of the glass and appears to be stress-related.

Hi Everyone, Just wanted to give an update. After few texts with the Tesla service center they said it is stress crack. Scheduled appointment. Dropped car at 815am they gave me a replacement car. Called me at 930am that the car is ready.

On another glass issue. I had a rock chip on my front glass, so I called my insurance Ameriprise and they covered it with no deductible. JN Philips did the replacement with original tesla glass. Invoice was $850 compared to what I saw online forums ($1300). Did not need to do any recaliberation for autopilot. Happy ending.. thanks for everyone for their responses.