Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 cracked glass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys!
I am wondering you or anyone you know owns a M3 and having cracked-glass (top) dilemma. I've just got my M3 in Jan 2019, and now have a crack starting on the edge, right in the middle of the glass-top. I brought it 2 days ago and an "advisor" who saw it and couldn't determined, therefore, had another shop guy came out to see it. The guy ran a pen over the crack (after I drove it 3 days later - of course the crack has to open up) to make the decision that it "was outside influence, the term they coiled up" so they are NOT responsible and tell me to CLAIM my insurance. I went on multiple forums and found out this problem seems to happened to quite a few owners...from X, S, 3..:(

Attachments

• IMG_01.JPG
    IMG_01.JPG
    229.3 KB · Views: 1,939
  • IMG_02.JPG
    IMG_02.JPG
    271.9 KB · Views: 1,087
  • member sajakh M3 cracked glass-top on edge too 1.jpg
    member sajakh M3 cracked glass-top on edge too 1.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 1,105
  • member sajakh M3 cracked glass-top on edge too 2.jpg
    member sajakh M3 cracked glass-top on edge too 2.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 1,059
  • Informative
Reactions: Cowby
That’s an interesting branching of the crack. Is there a chip in the glass at the edge of the glass roof panel?

I don’t know what others might suggest in how to handle but I think I would either talk to my insurance and let their glass experts evaluate it and fight Tesla to repair if determined to be a glass defect or I would take the car to a windshield glass company to evaluate. I wouldn’t solely rely on guys at your local SvC to determine the cause in your case. Here in SFBay the service centers don’t do windshields, they send you to a 3rd party glass shop to replace (part comes from Tesla though); not sure about the roof portion.

Reactions: Tozz
That’s an interesting branching of the crack. Is there a chip in the glass at the edge of the glass roof panel?

I don’t know what others might suggest in how to handle but I think I would either talk to my insurance and let their glass experts evaluate it and fight Tesla to repair if determined to be a glass defect or I would take the car to a windshield glass company to evaluate. I wouldn’t solely rely on guys at your local SvC to determine the cause in your case. Here in SFBay the service centers don’t do windshields, they send you to a 3rd party glass shop to replace (part comes from Tesla though); not sure about the roof portion.

Actually, mine are the first 2 pix. The others were some other owner just for review/ref. There is not even1 scratch or chip at the edge or anywhere along the crack as an indicator. After having a long talk with the "services mgr", he didn't budge but went along with the first advisor's words.

I have not contact my insurance about it but now wondering they insure glass-top...windshield, yes.

...wondering...

Me too. That's a problem of not being a glass expert. Tesla can say it's not manufacturing defect so how can a consumer dispute that?

I can't see where the cracks are in the 2nd picture looking up toward the building.

But for the first 1, would you please label them:

A: Windshield or Rear Window glass Panel?

B: Is this the glass roof above the front seats?

C: Is this the crack that runs from the front to the back or from the back to the front depending on where left and righ are front or back?

D: Are these 2 cracks also?

iQ4E8Iq.jpg

That definitely looks like a stress fracture.... not a crack caused by an impact.

Agree. Stress fracture's can be identified because the initial rupture/tear will be at an exact 90 degree angle.
"C" definity is exactly that.

If it was due to impact I would also expect some kind of "crater" (from whatever hit the window) at the start of the crack

I believe "D" is the lamination coming off the glass.

• Informative
Reactions: GoCartz
Me too. That's a problem of not being a glass expert. Tesla can say it's not manufacturing defect so how can a consumer dispute that?

I can't see where the cracks are in the 2nd picture looking up toward the building.

But for the first 1, would you please label them:

A: Windshield or Rear Window glass Panel?
Answer: A is the windshield.
B: Is this the glass roof above the front seats?
Answer: Yes, "B" is the glass roof-top.
C: Is this the crack that runs from the front to the back or from the back to the front depending on where left and righ are front or back?
Answer: The crack started from the front-edge (next to the windshield) to the back. It was about 3" straight and 4 days later it turned into an L shape.
D: Are these 2 cracks also?
Answer: No, "D" is not a crack but I think they are air-pockets built up from the adhesive plastic.

iQ4E8Iq.jpg

They know your insurance will likely pay for it with zero out-of-pocket for you. That said, this to me looks like a glass defect.

For one, I am not a glass expert and have not consult with one, but most members think it was due to stress/body flex/defect. So if any one of those reason applies, this will eventually affect many more owners. But if I go through my insurance and don't know if they will take on, I have to pay out-of-pocket $1000 as my deductible.

Reactions: NeverFollow
For one, I am not a glass expert and have not consult with one, but most members think it was due to stress/body flex/defect. So if any one of those reason applies, this will eventually affect many more owners. But if I go through my insurance and don't know if they will take on, I have to pay out-of-pocket $1000 as my deductible.
Hopefully tesla will cover it and you should add glass coverage to your insurance(my deductable is also $1000, but for glass it's about $100). Model 3 has ALLOT of glass.

If it was me I’d take it to a reputable glass repair shop for an estimate and ask them to include in the estimate the possible cause of the crack. If they’re certain it’s a stress fracture I’d take the estimate to the SC to help your case. You shouldn’t have to bear the cost of repair for a defect.

Among the reasons from Consumer Reports to withdraw their recommendation is glass defect!

Tesla Model 3 Loses CR Recommendation Over Reliability Issues

"Some owners also complained about glass defects, including cracks in the rear window, in their survey responses.

In fact, CR experienced similar problems with its own Model 3. Earlier this year, our test vehicle developed a large crack in its massive rear window during a cold spell when it was parked outside."

I had this same crack in my Model 3 that I picked up 11 months ago. It happened about 4 months ago. They were originally going to bill me for it but asked them to look at the shape and they instantly concluded that it was a defect. If there is any sign of a chip on it they will reject it though.

Reactions: Tam
Hopefully tesla will cover it and you should add glass coverage to your insurance(my deductable is also $1000, but for glass it's about $100). Model 3 has ALLOT of glass.

Just because you have a zero deductible does not mean your insurance company won't hike your premiums when you make an expensive glass claim.

Also worth noting, some insurers don't offer zero deductible glass coverage.

• Helpful
Reactions: TNTWYNN M3
My 2017 Model X and 2018 Model 3 roof glasses do turn to multicolor or orange-when-wet too.

Do you mean Tesla has discontinued that feature?
@TNTWYNN M3 , Is your glass the older orange-when-wet glass like the reference images (pics 3&4) you provided? Just curious if these defects could be why they moved away from that.

Yes, it does turn color...orange when wet. Is that the UV protection color layer?