Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 crash @ +100MPH

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This "rate of speed" debate reminds me of the equally cringe worthy "focused like a laser". Lasers emit a beam of parallel photons that do not come to a point or focus. If you want something to come to a point (focus), you need a lens. Drives me crazy, like I want to pop the car into plaid and take out the nearest small forest doing well over a buck twenty.

Btw. In an un-scientific poll, asked my physic teacher wife what "rate of speed" was, without looking up from her iPad in that patronizing teacher tone she said "acceleration".

tell your wife she is wrong so we can know your rate of speed.

This "rate of speed" debate reminds me of the equally cringe worthy "focused like a laser". Lasers emit a beam of parallel photons that do not come to a point or focus. If you want something to come to a point (focus), you need a lens. Drives me crazy, like I want to pop the car into plaid and take out the nearest small forest doing well over a buck twenty.

Btw. In an un-scientific poll, asked my physic teacher wife what "rate of speed" was, without looking up from her iPad in that patronizing teacher tone she said "acceleration".

also,

Focusing Your Laser 101 with J Tech Photonics, Inc.

If you actually read it, they are talking about adjusting the lens put in front of the laser to bring the parallel beam from the laser to a sharp focus. Without that lens it will never come to a focus. You always need a lens to focus a laser.

Reading between the lines, that diode laser is far from ideal and leaves the front surface of the diode in an expanding cone (again never coming to focus) similar to how light exits a fiber optic with a f1.8 cone (standard dispersion cone for a fiber optic without a lens or collimator on the end).

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar