Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 crash with police cruiser, who's at fault?

Who was at fault?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Impossible to tell who was at fault in this one right now, not enough information. Hopefully both the cruiser and the M3 had their dashcams running.

Main questions that must be answered:

1. Who had the red light?
2. Did the cruiser have emergency lights/sirens activated? (even if it did, the officer driving the car still has the responsibility to ensure the intersection is clear if he/she was going through it on a red light)
3. Was speed a factor for either or both vehicles?

Impossible to tell who was at fault in this one right now, not enough information. Hopefully both the cruiser and the M3 had their dashcams running.

Main questions that must be answered:

1. Who had the red light?
2. Did the cruiser have emergency lights/sirens activated? (even if it did, the officer driving the car still has the responsibility to ensure the intersection is clear if he/she was going through it on a red light)
3. Was speed a factor for either or both vehicles?
Here's some more info. Green is the police cruiser direction. Red arrow is Tesla direction.
tesla crash 2.JPG

More info here: SIU investigating Downsview crash involving cruiser that left three people injured

Can you remove the poll? It serves no purpose, and really undermines this thread. There's no way we (a bunch of strangers on the internet) can pass any kind of judgement on this with out a TON of more information, and even then, we shouldn't - leave it to the proper authorities.

That's what TMC is all about, pages of speculation:)

I give 95% odds that the police is at fault

Without any actual data, my odds go to the Tesla driver being at fault.

The reason being is that the police are trained to ensure the safety of others and themselves so compared to any other regular driver, I'd expect them to be a few levels more careful. Also, the tesla driver, well, there's a high chance he was enjoying being driven by the autopilot and didn't pay that much attention to the possible dangers ahead.

I give 95% odds that the police is at fault. I see police doing asinine things all the time. Judging by the distance each vehicle was displaced by the other, the police vehicle was traveling much faster than the Tesla, unless the police vehicle drove off the road after the fact just to clear the street.

9/10 times when you smash the front of your car on the street, you need to change your driving methods. If it were the cop with the smashed front, I'd say the same thing. You drove into an accident, so you chose to participate in it.

You learn this very quickly on a motorcycle, or you die. It doesn't matter who has the right of way if you end up dead. Assume all drivers are blind and you will drive much safer.

Judging by the distance each vehicle was displaced by the other, the police vehicle was traveling much faster than the Tesla, unless the police vehicle drove off the road after the fact just to clear the street.

I am not so sure about that. The Tesla was pretty much stopped when it head straight into the side of the Police cruiser. The Police got hit from the side and only after impact, the driver would apply the brake, so that's why it travels much further. It is possible that the Police cruiser was faster but not just from the distance away from impact point alone.

Unfortunately, there is not enough info!

We would need to know if the police vehicle was running code (lights and siren)! If he was, the obviously the Tesla is at fault!

It would also help to know what color the signal lights were at the time!
Not here, the police is still responsible to make sure intersection is clear before entering. Light and siren don't matter.

There was another thread yesterday, and I think the same as yesterday. The Tesla looks to have t-boned the cruiser. However, we don't know the full circumstances, but in general, it would appear that the Tesla is at fault presuming the cruiser was running with its lights flashing and siren going.

Having said that, I could also see how a vehicle positioned to the left of the Tesla, like the panel truck in the image below, right before entering the intersection, could have blocked the driver's view of the onrushing cruiser, green arrow, and made the source of the siren hard to figure out, leading to the collision. How many times have we seen an accident because the driver's view was blocked by another vehicle to his left.
tesla-crash-2-jpg.532231

When a vehicle in your neighboring lane slows in a way that seems nonsensical, it could be something is crossing out of your view, like a person or animal, or a car turning, or crossing. Always slow to be sure.
{edit}
The more I look at the image, the more likely I think that is what happened. The panel truck was in the left lane, while the Tesla was in the right, red arrow. The panel truck blocked the view of the Tesla while entering the intersection. Of course, the cruiser's view of the Tesla was also blocked by the panel truck, so when the truck slowed to a stop, the Tesla didn't react in time and hit the cruiser.

Seeing as the panel truck is now stopped across the intersection, implies that the cruiser may have been going really fast, and surprised the crossing traffic. You'd think the panel truck driver would have had a good view of the intersection and the cruiser, if its lights were on and siren was sounding. The panel truck should have been able to stop much earlier, unless it was surprised, so I'd wager the cruiser was either driving really fast, or perhaps its lights and siren weren't on when it crossed the intersection. The panel truck shouldn't have stopped so far in the intersection otherwise.

{edit}
Just noticed there's another car stopped behind the panel truck. Even if a heavy panel truck needs more distance to slow and stop, the car behind should have been able to stop with plenty of room, so that kind of implies that the cruiser surprised everyone, so that no one was prepared to slow and stop. I really wonder if the lights and siren were on?

Last edited: