TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 crash with surprising results

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Austindude, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Austindude

Austindude Member

Lots of negative news out there lately about Tesla vehicles and the fitness of Elon and the company but occasionally we are reminded of how good these cars really are (and how good and forward thinking Tesla is as a company). After watching this video last night my faith is renewed!

This is a rather long video but towards the later part of it they get to the accident and what happened afterwards. The title is:

Someone Killed my Model 3 - but we're uninjured!

• Like x 3
  2. pub cheese

pub cheese Member

I happened to catch this last night and thought the same thing - If they really got hit from behind at 40-50 mph while they were at a dead stop, it's amazing how they just shook it off, no problem.

However, the damage to the car seemed very slight, like a minor fender-bender. Made me wonder why the whole car shut down and became non-operational. A little worrisome about not getting Tow Mode to work, too.

3. Johann Koeber

Johann Koeber Active Member

Thanks for publishing this video.

Glad you were in a Tesla.

• Like x 1
  4. Austindude

Austindude Member

Yeah obviously we don't know how fast the vehicle was traveling that hit the Model 3 was and how much of the collision impact was elastic and inelastic (the car in front of the model 3 looks like it was impacted and sent into the next lane. This means the Model 3 was moved forward by the impact). I would guess this must have been a major impact however because Tesla home base was contacted by the car and that would likely only happen if the accelerometers registered a substantial impact. As far as the tow issue, well unfortunate but I'm guessing the car has been totaled by damage that is not visible so that might not matter. It would be interesting to here from the owner on about all this.

5. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

Does the video actually show daytime footage of the 3?

6. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

That’s like a 10mph impact! How the hell did it disable the car? Also you’re lucky you couldn’t enable the tow mode as I’m pretty sure it could damage the car if you tow it on the rear wheels.
    Here’s what a 50mph rear impact looks like:

• Like x 1
  7. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

I'm hoping that the M3 does better than a Camry.

• Like x 1
  8. Daniel in SD

The Camry is a IIHS top safety pick+. I expect the Model 3 will be too. There’s a common misconception that a car “holding up well” in a crash is a good thing. Obviously you don’t want intrusion in to the passenger compartment but deformation of the crumple zone reduces the impact on the passengers.
    Somehow nearly every accident picture posted on an automotive forum lists the speed as at least double what the visual evidence suggests.

• Like x 1
  9. woodisgood

woodisgood It's walnut, beech

It's hard for me to believe the car that impacted them from behind was traveling at 45-50 mph - just too little damage to the M3's rear.

• Like x 4
  10. Vitold

Vitold Active Member

No crumple zones needed in the back to protect its occupants. The priority would be to minimize intrusion and protect the battery. Which is exactly what happened.

• Disagree x 1
  11. sperkin

sperkin Member

Do you have pictures of the other car? Hard to judge the impact if there's only 1 data point. It'll look amazing when you had little damage and the other cars engine is laying on the ground.

12. adaptabl

adaptabl Member

Not true. You do want all that energy transferred to the occupants. The crumple zones are to absorb the energy in a crash. It has to go somewhere.

I call BS on the speed.

• Disagree x 1
  13. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

That looks like too little impact for a 40 50 mph hit.

14. Austindude

Austindude Member

I don't know if the person that made this video has other pictures of the accident that might show the pick up truck that hit him. I think this happened and was posted recently so maybe he will do a follow up? I also would like to know more details but I thought it was interesting that Tesla called him within minutes after impact which is good to know.

15. Vitold

Vitold Active Member

Due to Model 3 high inertia impact force was absorbed by the car that hit Tesla. OP said that offending car looked much worse.

• Like x 1
  16. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

Sometimes hard to tell... 50MPH is indeed a serious amount of inertia. But then again, look at the comparative damage when a semi hit a Model S:

While the damage looks substantially more severe, that was a 40 ton semi, and it went over the tesla bumper. The entire bottom of the semi was ripped out as a result.

I can't find the previous account of a semi rear-ending a Model S from a few years back, but the Model S owner drove off the road and the semi had to be towed...

17. felialcho

felialcho Member

what's the brand of the rear car? Model 3 seems to be much harder than it. A Camry?

• Disagree x 1
  18. Daniel in SD

19. felialcho

felialcho Member

It hit a concrete divider, so the real impact speed is around 65mph. OP was in full stop facing forward, so the real impact speed is half of 40mph, if the mass and rigidity are the same as the rear car, which I don't think so. Assuming Model 3 is 50% stronger and heavier, the real impact speed could be just 10mph, like backing up at the speed to a concrete wall. OP picture seems reasonable.

20. Daniel in SD

I'm pretty sure it got rear ended before it hit the concrete divider. The damage to the rear of car is from the rear end impact. Also presumably it was traveling 65mph in the direction of traffic so it did not hit the concrete divider at 65mph (+whatever the rear end collision accelerated it to).
    Sure, if the car that hit OP weighed only 1000 pounds that might explain the lack of damage.