Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Crashed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys!

Sad news today. My Model 3 (vin 14###) was wrecked yesterday (happy Fourth everyone!).

Here are some pictures/video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Sbne4ATVZgD74Hon7

The damage will buff out right?? /s

Here's what we found out happened after talking to the police for a few minutes:

A man carjacked a sedan from a nearby Safeway parking lot and drove off. He sped through an intersection and ran the red light. He slammed (and I mean slammed. The horn was stuck on until it died a few minutes later) into a Model S 85 and then swerved into a few more cars. The car then popped up onto two wheels (sideways, not front to back) and the bottom of the car slammed into/onto mine and lost a wheel. The car finally came to rest off the road on the opposite side of the park way.

After checking my passengers I quickly hopped out to see if the crashed car occupants were OK when a man hopped out and started yelling things like, "I am a man of God", "I love you all", and "People are after me, please believe me". I started to back away because the guy clearly wasn't in a good place mentally.

He proceeded to run (sprint) away from the accident down the road (I have a live/motion photo of that, pretty odd) and the rest of us (probably around 8 cars in total were stopped) started to talk to each other, call 911, and make sure everyone was OK. The car jacker then walked back to the scene and approached my car (the last to be hit, the farthest back at the intersection) and my two passengers and I got back into the car and locked the doors. The guy seemed way off and potentially dangerous. He then gets ON TOP of the Model 3 and starts preaching similar stuff as before. "I love you all", "People are after me", etc. (I have a video of this, glass roofs FTW I guess...).

Before I realize what's happening the police are there and drag him off of the roof and drag him into a cop car where he proceeded shout and slam into the door from the inside. I really hope the guy gets the help he needs...

Some thoughts:

- The Model 3 was a damn champ. Clearly undrivable, but all four doors opened (with regular buttons, not emergency releases) and the frunk and trunk still opened. No air bags deployed in our car.

- The Model 3 didn't seem to indicate that anything was wrong on the display. Maybe if I put it into drive it would have? Seems odd because the car was clearly very messed up.

- I didn't receive a call from Tesla after the crash. I know that some times this happens after accidents. Maybe it's because our airbags didn't deploy?

- The app still works and seems to think the car is fine. The stats of the car are up to date as far as I can tell, but the GPS still says it is at the scene of the accident. Perhaps the GPS unit was broken in the crash?

- Can Tesla pull the camera footage from the car? The police, the insurance guys, and my self would be very interested in the footage!

- Everyone was OK, I think the driver of the Model S had some scratches. All things considered we got out pretty good with no injuries.

- I assume the car is totaled. Any idea if there is a priority reservation owner thing for Model 3 owners?

- My Model 3 had ~3,800 miles on it. I'm really glad I took it on a few road trips before this happened. What an amazing car.

- I guess this is a chance to get an AWD Model 3 if it is totaled. Perhaps the P if I am feeling particularly spendy. :)

I'm heart broken about the Model 3. The dream car I waited in line for two years ago was amazing. Easily the best 3,800 miles I've driven. Can't wait to get back in one soon tm !.

Wow, glad you are all OK. Strange and frightening experience not only because of the accident but with this carjacker. I hope you will stay OK as sometimes injuries only come to light a few days later. As for the Tesla. Glad it worked as it was designed to do. Contact them and see how soon you can drive another one.

That's a sad story, glad everyone is okay.
Damn, the car still looks great even after the accident... It looks to me that it can be fixed, but I'm no expert.
I have read that some owners were prioritized because their Model 3's were involved in accidents, but I believe anyone with a configuration in USA and Canada can now configure a car, so you would just need to make a new reservation and will probably be able to reserve the AWD right away.
If you have 1000$ laying around you lose nothing in reserving now, but I wouldn't configure before being sure the insurance would give the car as totaled.

After checking my passengers I quickly hopped out to see if the crashed car occupants were OK when a man hopped out and started yelling things like, "I am a man of God", "I love you all", and "People are after me, please believe me". I started to back away because the guy clearly wasn't in a good place mentally.

elon-musk-heavy-metal.jpg

Elon?

I just don't know where to put stories like this.

Its an unfortunate non-tesla blamed incident.

I'm glad no one was hurt, however if there are continuous stories about Tesla crashes all over the place......then there is going to be more and more of a negative slant for Tesla. I can only guess what the headlines will read about this one….if its ever published.

I wish there was someplace that ICE crashes were tallied on a daily basis....to offset stories like this.

Don't get me wrong....I'm elated that the safety of the model 3 was spectacular....

IMO, the Model 3 looks repairable. No drive unit up front, so the only structural things needing to be fixed are: Wheel, wheel hub, brakes, suspension, and it looks like the battery coolant lines. One fender + drivers door + bumper, + maybe hood. Maybe some parts of wiring.

Since airbags didn't deploy, and the CID isn't showing any errors, it looks like the battery & drive systems are intact and computer and most electronics are intact as well.

I think that can be fixed.

Next question is whether it will be cost effective to repair, or if the cost is too much where it's better to just do a new one. That'll be an insurance company evaluation.

Glad everyone's OK, though, and glad that the guy who caused this wasn't violent and was caught. Hopefully he gets help.