Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 crazy vampire drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

privater

2016 Model S and 2017 Model 3 owner
Jun 22, 2016
CA
I picked up my Model 3 last Saturday, but this vampire drain really makes me go crazy.
After driving home, it idled for 2 days, I noticed the mileage dropped from 215 mi to 185 mi in two days. that's average 15 miles per day, I never saw this much vampire drain in my Model S, then I sign-up TeslaFi for detail monitoring, after 3 days, the vampire drain rate stays the same, here is one day excerpt from TeslaFi:

It loss 3.07 kWh per 20 hours equal to 14 miles.

Banners_and_Alerts_and_TeslaFi.png

I tried almost everything, turn off walk by unlock, turn off bluetooth on Phone, using Key card exclusively, no result.It seems like this car never sleeps.

For comparison, here is my Model S with Internet Always-on On vampire drain:

Idles for 24 hours, It lost 1.26 kWh per day
TeslaFi.jpg

And here is my Model S with Internet Always-on Off vampire drain:

Sleep 22 hours and idles 2 hours, total 0.22 kWh per day

TeslaFi.png

Does anyone experience the same with their Model 3?

I think you hold down the brakes and both buttons for over 45 seconds for a 'full reboot'

Personally, I'd can Tesla amd have them interrogate the vehicle remotely as a first step.. It's a new car

Thank you! I did a reboot in your instructions, I'll wait and see.

But I see there might be a problem on `power off` options.

7585935712_IMG_0089.JPG

If I recall correctly, on Model S, when I clicked the `power off` button, the car should goes to shutdown.
But on Model 3, it turns off the screen, then after about 5 seconds, screen turn on back to normal. seems like there is something going on with the system, it stays on forever.

There's a power off button on the MS? Why would you use it? Did you use it to get the "way Low" idling?

No, I only played with that function once or twice, my setup for Model S:

Energy Saving: On
Internet Always-on: Off
Other minor setup:
smart preconditioning: Off
auto-prevent overheating: Off
auto present handle: On
Long Range mode : Off
* TeslaFi Sleep Mode: On
And the result is consistent, 0.2 - 0.4 kWh per day if no usage. 0.5-1 kWh if driving (some energy goes to 12V battery charging I assume)

Last edited:
I agree. My MX loses about 0.2 kwh per hour when idling.
It is strange that the car never sleeps though. Perhaps teslafi isn't playing nice with it?

I use TeslaFi for years, my setup is TeslaFi Sleep Mode: On and turn all energy saving switch on for Model s:
Energy Saving: On
Internet Always-on: Off

I've seen fairly high vampire drain as well, perhaps 5-10 miles per day lost. I've wondered if it was actually losing energy from the battery OR if perhaps the car was updating it's mileage estimate based on recent economy (wh/mi) data.

Reactions: privater
Thank you! I did a reboot in your instructions, I'll wait and see.

But I see there might be a problem on `power off` options.

View attachment 274406

If I recall correctly, on Model S, when I clicked the `power off` button, the car should goes to shutdown.
But on Model 3, it turns off the screen, then after about 5 seconds, screen turn on back to normal. seems like there is something going on with the system, it stays on forever.
That is the power off I was mentioning. Maybe it is not working correctly for the 3. Would have to have others confirm.