Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 crazy vampire drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another data point... I've been keeping an eye on my vampire drain and it appears to be close to 1 mile an hour when left unplugged. Car has been parked outside at home (mid 80s to low 90s temps during the day in the last several days) with the cabin overheat prevention enabled, as well as in a parking garage at work. I am NOT using my smartphone as key; instead I've been relying upon the keycard for access. Tesla app on my phone has been set to unmonitored power. Random checks during the day using the app indicates that the car is "waking up" to provide current data. Car has had version 2018.24.1 since day one.
Do not open the app, that will drain your battery, instead use the widget to check the status without opening the app.

Also, I deleted the app from my phone completely and it didn’t make a difference.

Do not open the app, that will drain your battery, instead use the widget to check the status without opening the app.

Also, I deleted the app from my phone completely and it didn’t make a difference.
The Tesla app is not the problem (unless you use it to check the car obsessively, then you’re the problem, not the app). The problem is third party crap that causes vampire drain even if you think you’re not checking the car.

• Funny
Reactions: israndy
Yes I am aware, I was just clarifying to someone else. They specifically mentioned that they frequently check the app. So if you open the app every 1-1.5 hours, you will keep your car awake all day. But the app on its own is just fine, but if you want to keep checking on the car, then at least use the widget and don’t wake the car.

I don’t use any third party apps, and rarely check my Tesla app. So I know my issue is not app related. I’ve got something wrong with either the hardware in my car, or something with the battery management module.

Just picked up my M3 on 7/7 and I am also noticing vampire drain. First night, I charged it to 276 miles (my default set-point). 4hrs after it completed charging, I checked the Tesla app and it was reading 165 miles.... -11 miles in 4 hrs!! Called the Tesla number but the service center was closed on Sundays so ended up talking to some representative. The rep said he would call me back on Monday when the SC was open, but never received a call and I’ve been too busy at work to call them back. Latest data point (last night til this morning) the car went from 200 to 195 miles over 10 hrs.... so definitely erratic, but even at this “better” rate, that’s still -12 miles in a 24 hr period. Seems excessive no?

Just picked up my M3 on 7/7 and I am also noticing vampire drain. First night, I charged it to 276 miles (my default set-point). 4hrs after it completed charging, I checked the Tesla app and it was reading 165 miles.... -11 miles in 4 hrs!! Called the Tesla number but the service center was closed on Sundays so ended up talking to some representative. The rep said he would call me back on Monday when the SC was open, but never received a call and I’ve been too busy at work to call them back. Latest data point (last night til this morning) the car went from 200 to 195 miles over 10 hrs.... so definitely erratic, but even at this “better” rate, that’s still -12 miles in a 24 hr period. Seems excessive no?

Are you using any third party apps that use the API? Like TeslaFi or Tezlab?

Is the car indoors or outside? What’s the ambient temperature?

I lost 30 miles over 11 days parked in my garage. That is about 3 miles a day. Not excessive, but they should get this down to 2 or 1 mile a day.
I'm losing about a mile an hour. This is with interior temps reaching only 80F and estimating outside temps in the 70s. Car is sitting in a parking garage at work. I am checking remotely about every hour and the app seems to be saying that the car is waking up each time I do. I recently signed up.to be a beta tester for teslogs.com. Drain hasn't increased significantly since then. I wish I was seeing 3 miles per day!

Also should say that I'm seeing about the same loss overnight at home where my car is sitting outside in my driveway.

Currently on 2018.24.1.

Last edited:
If you are using your Tesla credentials anywhere or using the API anywhere, changed your Tesla password (which will revoke your API token), and see how your drain is at that’s point. There are a ton of people that lose 14-16 miles per day if they use any third party apps/services that pull data from your car or use your credentials, then lose only 2-3 miles when they disable those.

Let us know how yours does...

I’m losing 20 miles per day, even though I’m not using any services, which def is abnormal. Curious if you are in the same boat, or if your loss is due to other apps/services.

I'm fairly sure that I'm only exposed at Tesla and teslogs.com. I use the keycard and NOT my smartphone to operate the car so proximity of my phone to the car is not an issue. The drain has been higher than the average 1MPH I quoted above when I know that the cabin overheat has kicked in. I'm keeping an even closer track on the drain since signing up with teslogs two days ago. At the moment the car is home charging so I won't have any data for a couple of more days.