Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 crazy vampire drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you force it to sleep with the “Power Off” button? Will that force it to sleep immediately?

How bad was your vampire drain that it prompted you to take it to the SC?

I think I am losing 1MPH on average. 24 miles per day seems excessive. I am going out of town for a couple of days so will be interesting to see what drain I get when I get home Monday.

Ya, that is definitely excessive. To better diagnose your issue, can you make sure you aren't using any third party services at all (anywhere where you logged in with your Tesla Account outside of the Tesla site or the release phone app). If you have logged in anywhere, please change your Tesla password. Next, stop checking your battery drain for 8 hours at a time, ideally 12. Once you have let the car sit idle for 12 hours, go ahead and check it. See how much drain and report back. Make sure you mention of the car is indoors or outdoors in the sun, and ambient temperature. Also make sure that cabin overheat protection is off, and report back which Firmware version you are on.

A properly functioning TM3 loses anywhere between 0-5 miles / 24h most lose 2-3.

Third party apps like Tezlab and Teslafi have been known to cause excessive drain.

But to answer some of your other questions, i am losing 20-22 miles per day. No, Power Off does not force sleep for me, my issue is the car wakes itself up, so it goes to sleep and will wake up 20 minutes later, eventually go back to sleep and keep waking up.

You can see if your car is sleeping without waking it up by using the widget that comes with the app and not actually starting the app. The widget is the one that is on the IOS lock screen.

Reactions: doreamon28
I think most of you know already but in case someone face this problem:

If you leave TeslaFi as its default setting, car will leave in idle for data logging. You need to enable sleep mode in setting to put the car in sleep for long time parking.

Figured that out after wondering for 2 hours seeing the car still in Idle...

Ya, that is definitely excessive. To better diagnose your issue, can you make sure you aren't using any third party services at all (anywhere where you logged in with your Tesla Account outside of the Tesla site or the release phone app). If you have logged in anywhere, please change your Tesla password. Next, stop checking your battery drain for 8 hours at a time, ideally 12. Once you have let the car sit idle for 12 hours, go ahead and check it. See how much drain and report back. Make sure you mention of the car is indoors or outdoors in the sun, and ambient temperature. Also make sure that cabin overheat protection is off, and report back which Firmware version you are on.

A properly functioning TM3 loses anywhere between 0-5 miles / 24h most lose 2-3.

Third party apps like Tezlab and Teslafi have been known to cause excessive drain.

But to answer some of your other questions, i am losing 20-22 miles per day. No, Power Off does not force sleep for me, my issue is the car wakes itself up, so it goes to sleep and will wake up 20 minutes later, eventually go back to sleep and keep waking up.

You can see if your car is sleeping without waking it up by using the widget that comes with the app and not actually starting the app. The widget is the one that is on the IOS lock screen.
I lose 20+ miles a day too. My car has <500 miles and I never had any apps running. Seems like the latest firmware is taking a bigger hit - 2018.24.8. I thought it could be cabin overheat protection but it is turned off. Prior the upgrade I would only lose ~3 miles/day.

I lose 20+ miles a day too. My car has <500 miles and I never had any apps running. Seems like the latest firmware is taking a bigger hit - 2018.24.8. I thought it could be cabin overheat protection but it is turned off. Prior the upgrade I would only lose ~3 miles/day.
PS: If you get this figured out, please let me know. Maybe then I could tell my service center to try something to get it fixed. Or if your service center is able to resolve it, maybe just tell me which one it is, and I can have my SC call them. I'll do the same.

My M3 loses around 15 per 18-24hrs. I turned off cabin overheat and it didn't help. What I did notice was after driving and parking at home and going out around 1-2 hrs after, I noticed the drain was already around 10 miles. My assumption is some ridiculous cooling for the battery since it's 100+ here in the summer? Otherwise, if you factor that out the overnight drain is approx 5. Maybe check right after a drive to see if that is majority of the drain?

So far in 39hrs, I’ve lost 22mi... ~0.6mi/hr (From 281 to 259mi)

Car is parked in garage, temp in the 80s per the app.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dana1
Ya, that's more loss than typical. If you have shared your credentials with any service I recommend changing your password to invalidate any previous API Tokens. If you have not, then the only thing left is to verify that Cabin Overheat Protection is off. If it is, and you are only checking every 12 hours and are losing this much range then something is wrong. in 60 hours (2.5 days) you should have lost 5-15 miles range. Losing 32 seems high.

Update: 60hrs of being parked in garage... went from 281 to 249mi... 32mi lost in 60hrs... ~0.5mi/hr

Also forgot to mention I’m on 2018.21.9 and am not using any third party apps whatsoever (only using Tesla’s official iOS app)

Update #2: Overall 76hrs since sitting in my garage, and the M3 has gone from 281 to 247... 34mi lost so averaging 0.45mi/hr.

Note this last leg was actually not too bad... 2mi lost in 16hrs. Seems like the rate gets better over time... I always notice the biggest drop right after charging... someone had also previously mentioned that it may be correlated to the charge level... ie, more drain when battery is at 90% vs at 50%. I had tried an experiment at charging to just 70% but I didn’t notice much reduction on drain vs when charging to 90%, but that was just 1 data point.

I will check the drain once more when I get home from vacation late tonight, then once more before I take it to work in the morning and that will conclude my experiment.

I know for me at least, I lose 20-22 miles per day regardless of state of charge and temperature. But something is definitely very wrong with mine. It has been the same way across 6 different firmwares, all the way from the cold in March to the heat of July. Indoors or outdoors.. from 100% down to 5%, makes no difference.

Update #2: Overall 76hrs since sitting in my garage, and the M3 has gone from 281 to 247... 34mi lost so averaging 0.45mi/hr.

Note this last leg was actually not too bad... 2mi lost in 16hrs. Seems like the rate gets better over time... I always notice the biggest drop right after charging... someone had also previously mentioned that it may be correlated to the charge level... ie, more drain when battery is at 90% vs at 50%. I had tried an experiment at charging to just 70% but I didn’t notice much reduction on drain vs when charging to 90%, but that was just 1 data point.

I will check the drain once more when I get home from vacation late tonight, then once more before I take it to work in the morning and that will conclude my experiment.

Final Update: After 92 hrs, I lost 38mi. After 99 hrs, I lost 41mi. These are my last data points from this 4-day experiment.

Final Update: After 92 hrs, I lost 38mi. After 99 hrs, I lost 41mi. These are my last data points from this 4-day experiment.

Ok, it’s been a couple of wks since I took it to the SC and had them do the battery management system (BMS) bootloader update and update to the latest firmware. (Everything took less than an hour) I am happy to report that my vampire drain has gone down significantly! (maybe 1 mi loss overnight)

Hope this helps others with the problem... ask for the BMS update!

Ok, it’s been a couple of wks since I took it to the SC and had them do the battery management system (BMS) bootloader update and update to the latest firmware. (Everything took less than an hour) I am happy to report that my vampire drain has gone down significantly! (maybe 1 mi loss overnight)

Hope this helps others with the problem... ask for the BMS update!
You know whats funny...

I just dropped my car off and asked them w
If this new BMS update improves the vampire drain. They said no. You will not notice anything different with this update. Its just a minor firmware update.

So... idk... its nice to hear from others that there is actually an improvement.. but.. tesla is saying the opposite