Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 crazy vampire drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like there is a market for a 12v disconnect for the Model 3.
But then "system tests" wont happen:
upload_2018-8-25_11-36-46.png

I think folks just need to deal with it. Certain "system tests" might require more processing than others...thus the disparity in reported "vampire drain". Its a Model 3 "feature".....just gotta factor the additional power requirements/consumption in day to day activities.

Last edited:
Reactions: TexasEV
And it’s not unique to the Model 3. The Model S and X have vampire drain as well, which used to be worse when they first came out. It’s just that for some reason the complaints by Model 3 owners have been an order of magnitude greater than that of Model S and X owners about vampire drain.

Reactions: outdoors
But then "system tests" wont happen:
View attachment 328894

I think folks just need to deal with it. Certain "system tests" might require more processing than others...thus the disparity in reported "vampire drain". Its a Model 3 "feature".....just gotta factor the additional power requirements/consumption in day to day activities.

That's interesting. I'm wondering what kind of tests would require more than 1kwh of power per day. To put things into perspective, I use a very powerful workstation at work. When I crank it up at full power e.g. doing serious simulations or machine learning stuff, it's about 1000W-1200W of power (the power supply limits at 1600W). So the amount lost would be equivalent to running a high-performance workstation at full power for an hour a day, and that's with 3 Nvidia Titan GPUs (the autopilot hardware uses two less powerful ones). They better not be secretly mining bitcoins!

For what it is worth, I am only seeing 2 Miles per day after 2018.36.2 firmware. Before it varied from 3-5 miles a day.

Also, what I observed is, the more times I ping the car using the mobile app, more drain on the battery. I checked few 24 hour discharges and few 12 hour discharges after 36.2 and I am seeing about only 2 miles per day discharge. Ofcourse weather is moderate here, and my car is parked in a garage at home and at work.

Is the difference in vampire drain largely dependent on v36? I just read through a whole bunch of this since my 3 is losing an average of a mile an hour. I started using Teslafi on it to track it to see if I was right, and those numbers are about right.

I just changed the Teslafi settings to try to put it to sleep more, but is the bigger thing hoping I get the update to version 36 sooner than later?

Thanks!

• Helpful
Reactions: SpaceCarFan