Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 crazy vampire drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018.10.5 here. At 6pm yesterday evening, I checked with my phone app, and the car was at 242mi range left. I just woke up at 6am and checked with my phone app again: 241mi range left. In that 12 hour span, I did not drive the car or approach it.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
Update
No miles lost since update 10.5
I have blue tooth turned off and along with my wife’s during the night.

Funny I actually gained one mile having the car sitting idle for 12+ hours

Same thing for me, 4 straight days, no fantom energy loss and in some conditions I noticed the energy calculation added when parking.

I've been losing about 12 miles per day to vampire drain in normal Los Angeles weather. The parking lot is detached from where I usually am and I don't check up on it on my phone too often anymore. Given that I drive about 50 miles per day, I'm basically losing 25% of that to vampire drain. Firmware version 2018.4.18.

I parked my Model 3 in the garage on Wednesday after having charged it to 95%, showing 295 miles

I then revoked TeslaFi's access, and force quit out of TezLab and the Tesla apps. Supposedly there will be nothing keeping the car awake now.

I just came back from the cabin, so 3 days sitting. I had to use the card key to lock it up and now to unlock it. Before I even touched it, only opened the garage door and already I was hearing click, clack, tick, bonk. I unlocked the car and sat down inside. I had never noticed the screen not wake up when I am in the car. I started thinking I needed to launch the Tesla app, but before I got my phone out and into the app the screen lit.

Only 263 miles left after just over 3 days sitting. That's 10 miles a day of loss. Dam noisy car too. What Am I Doing Wrong?

I backed out of the garage and the backup camera was black. I remembered that people had explained that if I don't put the seatbelt on it won't light up. As I passed the RV suddenly the backup camera display came on. Like 30 seconds into backing up... I had LOOKED at my seatbelt before it started working. again... What Am I Doing Wrong?

OK, I'm just here waiting for whatever update is after my current 2018.10.5, hopefully, that will make my life better.

-Randy

Reactions: Yonki
Oops! Looks like TezLab was still talking to my car, No updates while sitting, but when I just launched TezLab after force quitting it 3 days ago it already had updates from when I woke the car up. Perhaps I need a better way to kill TezLab.

-Randy

I don’t understand why people are so willing to let third party software communicate with their car. I think the risks outweigh any potential benefit.

OK, what is this risk?

If you are saying that cars should not be controllable over the internet, you are too late, have you seen the Jeep video?

Are you concerned that people might be able to get into your car? My wife's car was in a long line of cars at the dog park and everyone lost a window as the cars were rifled thru, it was a Chevy Tracker, don't believe the car even has a computer in it.

Are you concerned that people might know where you are and go? Better leave your phone at home, oh and stop checking in with Yelp and Facebook, and don't post pictures of your food already.

Are you concerned that people might STEAL your Tesla? Is there a car that gets stolen less? The advantage of the advertised constant connectivity of the car is that thieves know the car is under constant surveillance. While my RV, which cost more to purchase, MAY have a cell phone connected alarm, but probably not. Thieves stealing a Tesla know the cops are coming, so much that they dump it in the river to protect them from getting caught. So you are not stealing the car for profit. There is even talk of the car's cameras being used to identify people who even vandalize a Tesla.

So, what is this risk?

-Randy

Are you concerned that people might be able to get into your car? My wife's car was in a long line of cars at the dog park and everyone lost a window as the cars were rifled thru, it was a Chevy Tracker, don't believe the car even has a computer in it.

Are you concerned that people might know where you are and go? Better leave your phone at home, oh and stop checking in with Yelp and Facebook, and don't post pictures of your food already.

Are you concerned that people might STEAL your Tesla? Is there a car that gets stolen less? The advantage of the advertised constant connectivity of the car is that thieves know the car is under constant surveillance. While my RV, which cost more to purchase, MAY have a cell phone connected alarm, but probably not. Thieves stealing a Tesla know the cops are coming, so much that they dump it in the river to protect them from getting caught. So you are not stealing the car for profit. There is even talk of the car's cameras being used to identify people who even vandalize a Tesla.

The concern is that if someone hacked the site, or the site owner wanted to, they have your password and that gives them access to the GPS location of your car as well as the ability to unlock it, turn off remote access, start it and drive away. At that point you can't track it anymore. Shoot they could even change the password totally locking you out.

Yeah, there's no way I'm giving a party other than me, my wife, or Tesla access to my car like that. I would be totally fine with it if there was a read-only password that could only get some data, as opposed to a single password for everything. Some banks do this for financial aggregators like Mint - they have a read-only password so the app or any malicious user who hacked the app still couldn't transfer money.

It's a shame we cannot add a poll to an existing thread, I am really curious what people get for day loss. I think I may be one of the bigger one's but I have only just hit my two week anniversary, I'm sure it will work itself out.

-Randy

Update:
2018.4.9 I had roughly 4 miles drain / 12 hours. So about 8 miles per day.

2018.10.5 I had rightly 1-2 miles drain per 12 hours. So about 3-4 miles per day. The car would go to sleep often and when accessing from phone it would always say “waking up”

!!SOS!!
2018.12.1, I now lose about 9-10 miles in 12 hours, the car never sleeps and is always connected to my phone. This would mean I’m losing about 20 miles per day!

I’m going to attempt a full reboot and see if that helps fix things.

Anyone else encounter crazy vampire drain on 2018.12.1?