Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 crazy vampire drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car has been at the service center since April 24th. (that was the second time it was there). Originally went in on April 11, and it was there for a week. Got it back for a few days and then it went back in, has been there for 72 days now (as of 7/5/18). Ya, it's nuts!

I only got to really drive my car for 2 weeks total since ownership back in March! :( Only have 1100 miles on it...

Wow, 72 days in the service center??!??!?!!

Have you gotten your car back yet? Do they keep you posted on the status? Did you send it in just for the vampire drain or for other issues as well?

Vampire drain seems to have gotten a lot better now. I notice the app causes it to wake up much less often. Sometimes I'll check the iOS widget and it will say "Asleep. Last updated (sometime the previous day)." even if I have driven the car 70 miles since.

So begins my experiment on reducing my car's vampire drain. Just changed my Tesla account password in order to invalidate the token that teslab.com uses. Verified that my teslab account now says "Your Tesla credentials are no longer valid and vehicle logging has paused.". Range is currently 190 miles. Will see what it's at in the morning.

Reactions: Dana1
Wow, 72 days in the service center??!??!?!!

Have you gotten your car back yet? Do they keep you posted on the status? Did you send it in just for the vampire drain or for other issues as well?

87 days now.... Close to a quarter of a year. Originally went in for Vampire Drain, bad AC, and some cosmetic QA stuff. Everything has been fixed except for the vampire drain. They're still not sure what's wrong with it.

How can you quantify your loss w/o monitoring? You mean you are not using a 3P app? So you get out of your car after parking it in the garage and note the miles remaining on the battery? Then when you get back in the next day you notice that you have only lost about 1 mile in the day or so you have had it parked?

That would be sweet. Even when I had the car parked in my garage and it was 70 degrees as a high during the day I was still seeing more than a mile a day. I however WAS using the iPhone app every 12 hours to log how much loss I was seeing, but it was typically 3 miles overnight and 7 during the day. I too had NO third party apps connected during this test. Still, I was below double digits many days. two OS's have come and gone since then so perhaps it's less now.

-Randy
Yes sir. I will pull in and note miles and sometimes I can let it sit a day or two. I may check once via the app but normally just open the door. One pain point however is the app rarely works. As the car seems to be in a deep sleep.

Range is currently 190 miles. Will see what it's at in the morning.
So after 8 hours I only lost 2 miles. Much better than the 6 or 7 miles I used to lose overnight in the same length of time. Parked at work at 10:15 with 173 miles and will be checking every 2 hours or so.

Will probably only have two data points today.as I'm planning to start charging around 3:30.

So after 8 hours I only lost 2 miles. Much better than the 6 or 7 miles I used to lose overnight in the same length of time. Parked at work at 10:15 with 173 miles and will be checking every 2 hours or so.

I recommend NOT checking every 2 hours... wait as long as possible before checking. Check only when you need to use the car. Just keep track of how much times goes by. If you keep checking every 2 hours, you will wake the car every 2 hours, so you will have more drain that you would typically get if you weren't checking and it will skew your numbers.

Reactions: TexasEV
I've been checking every 2 to 3 hours during the day since i started monitoring the drain. Changing the time interval that I've standardized on will skew my previous data. I'm a memory test/product engineer so I understand consistent data collection :) .

No loss in range since 1030. Before it would have been 2 miles. Can't believe how much power was being sucked up from enabling a simple monitoring app.

Ya, the apps constantly wake the car, and every time the car wakes it drains a significant amount. So once you collect your numbers following your methodology, I would recommend checking after 12 hours (more similar to what most people here have done), and multiplying that number by 2. Or checking after 24 hours. To get a good idea of how you compare against the rest and see how much energy you lose every 24 hours without constant checking. Anywhere from 0-5 miles is typical, with most people being around 2-3 if the car is kept indoors in 70-80 degree garage.

Reactions: TexasEV
Gotcha. During the time I was on teslogs, and even when checking my range every hour, I would usually see the "waking up" message in the Tesla app. Implying that the car was in the power down mode. Do you know what the time interval is for the car to enter sleep?

Just now I checked my car. Saw the waking up message. It's only been about 30 minutes since I last checked. It still has the same 173 miles as it had 3 hours ago.

The interval for sleep was not released by Tesla. There are lots of factors though. Has to do with your battery temp and stuff, so it depends on if you were just driving or not, the ambient temperature, etc. So sometimes it might go to sleep after 10 minutes, other times it can take 45 minutes to an hour.

The interval for sleep was not released by Tesla. There are lots of factors though. Has to do with your battery temp and stuff, so it depends on if you were just driving or not, the ambient temperature, etc. So sometimes it might go to sleep after 10 minutes, other times it can take 45 minutes to an hour.

Can you force it to sleep with the “Power Off” button? Will that force it to sleep immediately?

How bad was your vampire drain that it prompted you to take it to the SC?

I think I am losing 1MPH on average. 24 miles per day seems excessive. I am going out of town for a couple of days so will be interesting to see what drain I get when I get home Monday.

I would be absolutely furious and probably scream at the nearest tesla rep if I got stats like that from my car......

The vampire drain some people are reporting in here is absolutely unacceptable.

Isn`t there a way to simply turn the car completely off? Every other EV I´ve ever tested never lost any charge when parked over several days.
I’m not mad about it...I can plug in. I didn’t think about it until I started reading posts...lesson there I’m sure, lol. I thought it was a little funny to use more energy sleeping than driving and I don’t consider myself a granny driver. I’ll check overheat protection setting though I’d probably leave it enabled to do its job. I do appreciate folks talking about this stuff though so I can understand how the car operates/reacts.