Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 creaking noise from below rear bench seat during sudden acceleration/deceleration

BuzzinAround

Aug 5, 2021
NorCal
I’m pending a SC appointment on 8/11, but the service rep is stating this may be wear and tear and may cost a $100 diagnostic fee. Uhh wear and tear on 2018 model 3 w/ 8k miles?!?

Here’s a video I sent my SC

priest777

Jun 25, 2021
Israel
Hi Guys,
Would like to update, i had my SC visit few days ago.
I started off by telling them that the noise is something that is familiar in the forums, and that some people got their rear subframe replaced.
The SC guy kind of laughed and said that's "Overkill" and didn't even consider that option.

The car was in the works for 2 hours (i guess they tried to find the exact place of the noise) - eventually i've been told that they put some bushing spacer or something like that, the noise is actually quite gone, after a few days i can barley hear it but there's still "some" of it.

Let's see if it will drive me insane eventually i'll go over again.

BuzzinAround

Aug 5, 2021
NorCal
Hi Guys,
Would like to update, i had my SC visit few days ago.
I started off by telling them that the noise is something that is familiar in the forums, and that some people got their rear subframe replaced.
The SC guy kind of laughed and said that's "Overkill" and didn't even consider that option.

The car was in the works for 2 hours (i guess they tried to find the exact place of the noise) - eventually i've been told that they put some bushing spacer or something like that, the noise is actually quite gone, after a few days i can barley hear it but there's still "some" of it.

Let's see if it will drive me insane eventually i'll go over again.
How has the fix been holding up? This is the first instance I heard of spacers being used on the subframe.

Reactions: Xebec

Xebec

Mar 20, 2019
PA
I don't have the creak (Q3 2018 3D) but I do have a light rattle noise or thump/click that occurs when accelerating off the line, or occasionally on my driveway (which slopes up and twists a little bit). It sounds like it's coming from under the rear seats so I'm assuming rear suspension or chassis as well.

Did others start with a thump here that turned into the creak that I'm hearing in some of the videos here?

BuzzinAround

Aug 5, 2021
NorCal
I don't have the creak (Q3 2018 3D) but I do have a light rattle noise or thump/click that occurs when accelerating off the line, or occasionally on my driveway (which slopes up and twists a little bit). It sounds like it's coming from under the rear seats so I'm assuming rear suspension or chassis as well.

Did others start with a thump here that turned into the creak that I'm hearing in some of the videos here?
For me, my creaking sound almost appeared "overnight". My car is rarely driven (2018 w/ 8k miles), but it does sit in a well insulated garage. One day I took my car out and it began creaking. It got progressively worse quick. It started with steep driveway approaches, then included speed bumps, and ultimately even light acceleration off the line all in the scope of ~50 miles.

I got my car back from the SC today and I am so thrilled to have my mostly silent car back (minor dash rattle...ehh whatever)! The SC replaced my rear strut (one of them) and torqued down all my rear suspension bolts. I'm hoping this fix lasts b/c I am a bit spooked out to hear some peoples squeaking returned. I will be taking the M3 on a longer trip this weekend in place of my ICE car. Hopefully any issues can resurface if they do, fingers crossed its all fixed.

Reactions: Xebec

Skynet11-6

Sep 22, 2021
New York
I'm having the exact same issue but I noticed that mine is on the driver's side rear. I also have a 2021 M3 and also took delivery in December. It was absolutely driving me in sane. Turns out when it's occurring, when I reach back to the door and "pinch" the outer panel of the storage compartment (on the door)... the rattle stops. There seems to be a gap between the outer plastic and the inner lining of the storage area on the door. See if this works for you too. Mine is still not fixed and waiting for Tesla to get back to me. The issue seems to be developing on the front passenger door too, noticeable when bass in turned up. So frustrating, but I hope this helps you. When Tesla confirms my suspicion, I'll be sure to let you know.
I have a 2021 M3, exact same noises

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC