Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 creaking noise from below rear bench seat during sudden acceleration/deceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,
Would like to update, i had my SC visit few days ago.
I started off by telling them that the noise is something that is familiar in the forums, and that some people got their rear subframe replaced.
The SC guy kind of laughed and said that's "Overkill" and didn't even consider that option.

The car was in the works for 2 hours (i guess they tried to find the exact place of the noise) - eventually i've been told that they put some bushing spacer or something like that, the noise is actually quite gone, after a few days i can barley hear it but there's still "some" of it.

Let's see if it will drive me insane eventually i'll go over again.

Hi Guys,
Would like to update, i had my SC visit few days ago.
I started off by telling them that the noise is something that is familiar in the forums, and that some people got their rear subframe replaced.
The SC guy kind of laughed and said that's "Overkill" and didn't even consider that option.

The car was in the works for 2 hours (i guess they tried to find the exact place of the noise) - eventually i've been told that they put some bushing spacer or something like that, the noise is actually quite gone, after a few days i can barley hear it but there's still "some" of it.

Let's see if it will drive me insane eventually i'll go over again.
How has the fix been holding up? This is the first instance I heard of spacers being used on the subframe.

Reactions: Xebec
I don't have the creak (Q3 2018 3D) but I do have a light rattle noise or thump/click that occurs when accelerating off the line, or occasionally on my driveway (which slopes up and twists a little bit). It sounds like it's coming from under the rear seats so I'm assuming rear suspension or chassis as well.

Did others start with a thump here that turned into the creak that I'm hearing in some of the videos here?

I don't have the creak (Q3 2018 3D) but I do have a light rattle noise or thump/click that occurs when accelerating off the line, or occasionally on my driveway (which slopes up and twists a little bit). It sounds like it's coming from under the rear seats so I'm assuming rear suspension or chassis as well.

Did others start with a thump here that turned into the creak that I'm hearing in some of the videos here?
For me, my creaking sound almost appeared "overnight". My car is rarely driven (2018 w/ 8k miles), but it does sit in a well insulated garage. One day I took my car out and it began creaking. It got progressively worse quick. It started with steep driveway approaches, then included speed bumps, and ultimately even light acceleration off the line all in the scope of ~50 miles.

I got my car back from the SC today and I am so thrilled to have my mostly silent car back (minor dash rattle...ehh whatever)! The SC replaced my rear strut (one of them) and torqued down all my rear suspension bolts. I'm hoping this fix lasts b/c I am a bit spooked out to hear some peoples squeaking returned. I will be taking the M3 on a longer trip this weekend in place of my ICE car. Hopefully any issues can resurface if they do, fingers crossed its all fixed.

Reactions: Xebec
I'm having the exact same issue but I noticed that mine is on the driver's side rear. I also have a 2021 M3 and also took delivery in December. It was absolutely driving me in sane. Turns out when it's occurring, when I reach back to the door and "pinch" the outer panel of the storage compartment (on the door)... the rattle stops. There seems to be a gap between the outer plastic and the inner lining of the storage area on the door. See if this works for you too. Mine is still not fixed and waiting for Tesla to get back to me. The issue seems to be developing on the front passenger door too, noticeable when bass in turned up. So frustrating, but I hope this helps you. When Tesla confirms my suspicion, I'll be sure to let you know.
I have a 2021 M3, exact same noises

Hopping in to say that I have a 2018 M3LR with 70K+ miles and just started to hear this problem recently.

I have a service center appointment next week so will update with what the service rep says about this creak.

Definitely out of warranty (unless the drivetrain warranty covers this which I highly doubt) so hoping that I don’t have to go as far as having the entire subframe replaced.

Hopping in to say that I have a 2018 M3LR with 70K+ miles and just started to hear this problem recently.

I have a service center appointment next week so will update with what the service rep says about this creak.

Definitely out of warranty (unless the drivetrain warranty covers this which I highly doubt) so hoping that I don’t have to go as far as having the entire subframe replaced.
My 2019 M3SR+ also started to creak around 70k so I would be interested in hearing what your service center says.

I’m pending a SC appointment on 8/11, but the service rep is stating this may be wear and tear and may cost a $100 diagnostic fee. Uhh wear and tear on 2018 model 3 w/ 8k miles?!?

Here’s a video I sent my SC
That is EXACTLY the sound I have on my 3. It started just before my warranty ended. I let them know and they checked it out. Hopefully it is documented. It has gotten a lot worse, especially on warm days. Did you ever get it resolved? If so, what did they do? Thanks!

Dan Wassink

I had the same suspension creak just before my car was a year old. Tesla re-torqued all suspension bolts and that fixed it. No issues and car is almost 4 years old now. What was upsetting was that the dealer told me (at less than 1 year old) that this was an annual recommendation to re-torque the suspension at a cost of at least couple hundred dollars (I don't remember exact number) and they said it was not a warranty issue. They said this is quite normal for a Tesla suspension. I asked them why I've had 25 year old cars that were suspension squeak-free without ever needing re-torquing and stated it's seems far from normal. Also asked them if it's an annual service item why it wasn't listed as such. After a lot of back and forth they "good-willed" it but it was nonetheless an annoying conversation that imo should be warranty right from the start. My suspicion is some bolts were just not torqued to spec on the production line and backed off. After the manual re-torque everything is where it should be and squeak free.