TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model 3 curb weight?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by SoCalGuy, May 5, 2017.

Tags:
?

I think the Model 3 curb weight will be...

1. 4,500-5,000 lbs (similar to Model S)

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. 4,000-4,500 lbs

38 vote(s)
    30.2%
  3. 3,500-4,000 lbs (BMW 5-Series, MB E-class)

73 vote(s)
    57.9%
  4. 3,000-3,500 lbs (BMW 3-Series, MB C-class)

12 vote(s)
    9.5%
  5. Under 3,000 lbs

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  1. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Member

I know the Model 3 will be 20% smaller on the exterior than the Model S, putting it in the 3-series category. But it will also be using more steel and less aluminum than the S. How much do you think the 3 will end up weighing?

2. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Member

• Informative x 1
  3. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Supporting Member

I'm predicting at right around 4,000 even for RWD models. Maybe slightly less. But there's no getting around that EVs are generally heavier than their ICE equivalents.

4. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

I think folks are going to pick the middle of the road weight in the poll despite what the numbers are.

5. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Member

Hmm seems like we are getting somewhere in the low 4,000 lbs...

One reason I'm curious is because of range. We know the Chevy Bolt weighs just 3600 lbs or so but has a cd of 0.32 albeit with a smaller front area. With those two factors and smallish wheels, it gets about 4 miles per kWh or about 30% more than the Model S P100D. Since Model 3 will have a lower cd but bigger frontal area and larger wheels, I think weight might also play a part in its ultimate efficiency. With a max battery of 75 kWh, it could have a 300 mile range if it had roughly the same efficiency as the Bolt.

6. LargeHamCollider

LargeHamCollider Battery cells != scalable

Bolt has more frontal area than Model S, 25.8 vs. 25.2. Bolt will almost certainly have more frontal area than M3.

• Like x 1
  7. Swampgator

Swampgator Member

Elon or JB have already said on one of the earnings calls last year that the M3 will weigh 20% less than MS.
    So, let's take a M3 75D and compare this to a MS 75D.
    MS weighs in around 4650 # so 80% of that gives us 3720 # so that's my final answer :)
    Also, that car will likely have 500 hp and do 0-60 in about 4 seconds flat.
    I have long thought the P75D will have close to 600 hp and that gives us around 3.2 secs 0-60

8. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Member

I thought they just said 20% smaller in terms of volume...

If the M3 ends up weighing 20% less and it's cd is 12.5% lower and it's frontal area is also lower, wouldn't that suggest an increase in efficiency greater than 30%? That would put it within striking distance of the S 100D's 335 miles - at 75 kWh, the M3 would have a range of 324 miles (1.3*249).

• Like x 3
  9. Garlan Garner

I love your post.

Personally I don't think Elon and company will allow the Model 3 to be better than the Model S/X even if it could. I hope they don't software limit the Model 3 on purpose just so that the Model S/X will have better range.

I remember that there is a thread somewhere here in this forum where Tesla admitted that they were degrading launches in the Model S after every Ludicrous Launch.... in order to protect some parts.......even if the parts were just fine.

10. LargeHamCollider

LargeHamCollider Battery cells != scalable

No. These efficiencies don't add to each other. You have to take their weighted average. So 20% lower drag, 20% lower rolling resistance (implying ~20% less mass) and 20% lower auxiliary loads will net you a 20% increase in efficiency, not a 60% increase.

• Like x 1
  11. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Member

Good to know. I would hope the top range M3 breaks 300 miles...

• Like x 1
  12. Garlan Garner

I'm certainly going to get 300 miles per charge as I go to and from work - downhill both ways. :rolleyes:

• Funny x 2
  13. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Member

haha yeah - I do hope the 75D breaks 300 and that this version is offered at launch. I'm also still hoping Elon surprises us and maybe starts shipping the D or P versions sooner than the end of next year.

• Helpful x 1
  14. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

I would be happy if it's under 4,000 for energy efficiency purposes, but I'm not expecting it to weigh that much less than the S.

• Helpful x 1
  15. igotzzoom

It'll be less than the S. Remember, the lightest current Model S is currently around 4,700 pounds. I'm guessing the lightest 3 will be around 3,800 lbs, the heaviest around 4,300 lbs.

16. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

Ok?

Idk. We'll see.

17. docherf

docherf Member

I suspect the model 3 will have a smaller frontal area than the Bolt.

Tall cars wind up with a lot of final area. For example, The model S has the same frontal area as the previous Prius.

18. igotzzoom

Why in the world would it be heavier? There's no way. First of all, it's a physically smaller car, with smaller-capacity battery packs. Yes, supposedly it will have more steel than that Model S, but I'm confident it won't be heavier than the S.

19. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

Wut

20. PhantomX

PhantomX Member

A BMW M3 comes in around 3500 lb, and that's a car with lots of weight reduction components compared to regular 3 series (aluminum door, less sound insulation, carbon fiber drive shaft and etc), plus it doesn't have a huge battery under the car. I think it'll be difficult to bring the Model 3 under 4000 lb given the cost challenge.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1