Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 curb weight?

I think the Model 3 curb weight will be...

• 4,500-5,000 lbs (similar to Model S)

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • 4,000-4,500 lbs

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • 3,500-4,000 lbs (BMW 5-Series, MB E-class)

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • 3,000-3,500 lbs (BMW 3-Series, MB C-class)

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • Under 3,000 lbs

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think folks are going to pick the middle of the road weight in the poll despite what the numbers are.
Hmm seems like we are getting somewhere in the low 4,000 lbs...

One reason I'm curious is because of range. We know the Chevy Bolt weighs just 3600 lbs or so but has a cd of 0.32 albeit with a smaller front area. With those two factors and smallish wheels, it gets about 4 miles per kWh or about 30% more than the Model S P100D. Since Model 3 will have a lower cd but bigger frontal area and larger wheels, I think weight might also play a part in its ultimate efficiency. With a max battery of 75 kWh, it could have a 300 mile range if it had roughly the same efficiency as the Bolt.

Hmm seems like we are getting somewhere in the low 4,000 lbs...

One reason I'm curious is because of range. We know the Chevy Bolt weighs just 3600 lbs or so but has a cd of 0.32 albeit with a smaller front area. With those two factors and smallish wheels, it gets about 4 miles per kWh or about 30% more than the Model S P100D. Since Model 3 will have a lower cd but bigger frontal area and larger wheels, I think weight might also play a part in its ultimate efficiency. With a max battery of 75 kWh, it could have a 300 mile range if it had roughly the same efficiency as the Bolt.

Bolt has more frontal area than Model S, 25.8 vs. 25.2. Bolt will almost certainly have more frontal area than M3.

Reactions: DR61
Elon or JB have already said on one of the earnings calls last year that the M3 will weigh 20% less than MS.
So, let's take a M3 75D and compare this to a MS 75D.
MS weighs in around 4650 # so 80% of that gives us 3720 # so that's my final answer :)
Also, that car will likely have 500 hp and do 0-60 in about 4 seconds flat.
I have long thought the P75D will have close to 600 hp and that gives us around 3.2 secs 0-60

Elon or JB have already said on one of the earnings calls last year that the M3 will weigh 20% less than MS.
So, let's take a M3 75D and compare this to a MS 75D.
MS weighs in around 4650 # so 80% of that gives us 3720 # so that's my final answer :)
Also, that car will likely have 500 hp and do 0-60 in about 4 seconds flat.
I have long thought the P75D will have close to 600 hp and that gives us around 3.2 secs 0-60
I thought they just said 20% smaller in terms of volume...

If the M3 ends up weighing 20% less and it's cd is 12.5% lower and it's frontal area is also lower, wouldn't that suggest an increase in efficiency greater than 30%? That would put it within striking distance of the S 100D's 335 miles - at 75 kWh, the M3 would have a range of 324 miles (1.3*249).

If the M3 ends up weighing 20% less and it's cd is 12.5% lower and it's frontal area is also lower, wouldn't that suggest an increase in efficiency greater than 30%? That would put it within striking distance of the S 100D's 335 miles - at 75 kWh, the M3 would have a range of 324 miles (1.3*249).
I love your post.

Personally I don't think Elon and company will allow the Model 3 to be better than the Model S/X even if it could. I hope they don't software limit the Model 3 on purpose just so that the Model S/X will have better range.

I remember that there is a thread somewhere here in this forum where Tesla admitted that they were degrading launches in the Model S after every Ludicrous Launch.... in order to protect some parts.......even if the parts were just fine.

If the M3 ends up weighing 20% less and it's cd is 12.5% lower and it's frontal area is also lower, wouldn't that suggest an increase in efficiency greater than 30%?

No. These efficiencies don't add to each other. You have to take their weighted average. So 20% lower drag, 20% lower rolling resistance (implying ~20% less mass) and 20% lower auxiliary loads will net you a 20% increase in efficiency, not a 60% increase.

Reactions: kbM3
Why in the world would it be heavier? There's no way. First of all, it's a physically smaller car, with smaller-capacity battery packs. Yes, supposedly it will have more steel than that Model S, but I'm confident it won't be heavier than the S.

A BMW M3 comes in around 3500 lb, and that's a car with lots of weight reduction components compared to regular 3 series (aluminum door, less sound insulation, carbon fiber drive shaft and etc), plus it doesn't have a huge battery under the car. I think it'll be difficult to bring the Model 3 under 4000 lb given the cost challenge.