Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 damaged bumper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, my wife accidentally hit our model 3 onto a pillar and damaged the bumper. Can I drive it safely for now till my service appointment? Also any idea about the estimate of cost and where should be my best bet? Tesla newbie here 😅 Thank you!!

Attachments

• 18253B6A-3B75-4882-9CCE-28D1469D1DC4.jpeg
    18253B6A-3B75-4882-9CCE-28D1469D1DC4.jpeg
    525.9 KB · Views: 1,463
Hi, my wife accidentally hit our model 3 onto a pillar and damaged the bumper. Can I drive it safely for now till my service appointment? Also any idea about the estimate of cost and where should be my best bet? Tesla newbie here 😅 Thank
First thing you need to do is to make a service appointment on your app with Tesla asap. That damage looks cosmetic, but you don't know if it has compromised the surrounding sensors. You could be putting your safety at risk until you fully understand the damage. Especially if you use AP feature.

So, best to get yourself a rental temporaririly until insurance and Tesla can figure out a timeline and cost for repair.

More importantly, how in the world does she drive into a pillar considering the proximity sensors were likely beeping during the drive and the car would have flashed the word "Stop" on the screen?

Depending on her response, you may consider drawing up divorce papers. Tesla abuse is a very serious matter and affects 2 out of 5 Tesla households. You can search the board for the Tesla abuse hotline phone number.

Upvote 0
It looks like you'll need a new headlight. That piece alone costs about $900. I had to have one replaced last November because a friend backed into my M3. The bumper itself looks like it will need replacement too. Mine had to be replaced due to similar damage. Then there is the question of possible damage to components behind the bumper. It also looks like your frunk lid might need to be replaced. My costs came to $9200 but I also had to have the left front quarter panel replaced, so yours should be less.

Reactions: nafizzz
Upvote 0
First thing you need to do is to make a service appointment on your app with Tesla asap. That damage looks cosmetic, but you don't know if it has compromised the surrounding sensors. You could be putting your safety at risk until you fully understand the damage. Especially if you use AP feature.

So, best to get yourself a rental temporaririly until insurance and Tesla can figure out a timeline and cost for repair.

More importantly, how in the world does she drive into a pillar considering the proximity sensors were likely beeping during the drive and the car would have flashed the word "Stop" on the screen?

Depending on her response, you may consider drawing up divorce papers. Tesla abuse is a very serious matter and affects 2 out of 5 Tesla households. You can search the board for the Tesla abuse hotline phone number.

sensors did not beep

Not one sensors beeped during the incident. It was a narrow cut and one of the cars were coming rapidly and she had to adjust to the sides and hit the pillar.

Upvote 0
It looks like you'll need a new headlight. That piece alone costs about $900. I had to have one replaced last November because a friend backed into my M3. The bumper itself looks like it will need replacement too. Mine had to be replaced due to similar damage. Then there is the question of possible damage to components behind the bumper. It also looks like your frunk lid might need to be replaced. My costs came to $9200 but I also had to have the left front quarter panel replaced, so yours should be less.
did u go to tesla service or tesla approved collision shops? also how long was the timeline to get it fixed?

Upvote 0

Not one sensors beeped during the whole incident. It was a narrow cut and one of the cars was approaching rapidly and she had to move away to the right and hit the pillar. I guess tesla sensors do not work when we need them to do 🤦🏻‍♂️

Upvote 0
Not one sensors beeped during the whole incident. It was a narrow cut and one of the cars was approaching rapidly and she had to move away to the right and hit the pillar. I guess tesla sensors do not work when we need them to do 🤦🏻‍♂️

You were in the car when this happened (thus the above is a personal account of what you personally witnessed)?

Upvote 0
I dont think a tesla service center is going to be able to fix that. It looks like a lot more than "a bumper" like @TBrownTX said. Just from the picture you show, the hood is somewhat buckled, etc. I am certainly no expert in this, but it appears to me that you are at a minimum going to need a bodyshop to investigate that, and damage is going to be "thousands" not "hundreds".

Upvote 0
did u go to tesla service or tesla approved collision shops? also how long was the timeline to get it fixed?
First I went to the Tesla place where I bought it in Dedham, MA. They told me Tesla didn't do that level of bodywork and I would have to take it to Tesla authorized collision center. There they gave me an initial estimate of $6200 but said I needed to get an estimate from my Insurance provider before they could take the car. That was on 10/13. Less than a week later the insurance adjustor came to my house. He gave me an estimate of $3200 but also said that insurance company estimates always low-balled things and not to worry about the difference in price. I called the Collision Center and they said that, because of the backlog of work they had, I couldn't bring it in for about another 2 weeks. Finally, I brought it in on 11/1. Thanks to the cars GPS, I could see that the car remained parked in their lot for close to another week before it showed that it had been moved into a repair bay. A few days later I got an email from Tesla listing all the parts ordered and the estimated shipping dates on most of the parts. Ultimately, it was 12/15 before the car's repairs were all done. Part of the reason it took so long was that the Collision Center had to wait for a few of the parts. The final bill came to just over $9200 and thankfully there were no issues about payment from the insurance company. The collision center did a great job. The car looks as good as new, and there are no rattles. Whatever you do, DO NOT go to anything other than a Tesla Authorized collision center!

Upvote 0
Alas, yesterday a hit and run box truck backed into my new Model 3. Tire scuff marks on the side of the bumper wraparound, and bent and distorted the fender above the tire. My Rimetrix rim took the worst of the damage to the wheel, only a small chip in the rim. No visible marking on the truck, and the license plate was obscured. Hmmm...
So I dropped in to the Tesla Collision Center near Love Field. A quick looksee and investigation by the good folks there, and it looks like about $3400 to replace the fender, do a little tweak on the bumper, repair the chip on the rim repaint and blend (of course, the most expensive part), and repair the rim.
Maybe in on Tuesday evening and out the next Monday evening. I am heartsick over this
As it happens, I am AMTRAKING Wed thru Mon, so that takes a little of the sting out of it.
We are fortunate here in Dallas to have not only a Service Center but a Collision Center across the street, next to Love Field.
As to timeframe, fingers and whatever else needed crossed. There went my planned Chrome Restore until I get another SS check.

Upvote 0
I dont think a tesla service center is going to be able to fix that. It looks like a lot more than "a bumper" like @TBrownTX said. Just from the picture you show, the hood is somewhat buckled, etc. I am certainly no expert in this, but it appears to me that you are at a minimum going to need a bodyshop to investigate that, and damage is going to be "thousands" not "hundreds".
thanks alot hope insurance and bodyshop can take care of it

Upvote 0
First I went to the Tesla place where I bought it in Dedham, MA. They told me Tesla didn't do that level of bodywork and I would have to take it to Tesla authorized collision center. There they gave me an initial estimate of $6200 but said I needed to get an estimate from my Insurance provider before they could take the car. That was on 10/13. Less than a week later the insurance adjustor came to my house. He gave me an estimate of $3200 but also said that insurance company estimates always low-balled things and not to worry about the difference in price. I called the Collision Center and they said that, because of the backlog of work they had, I couldn't bring it in for about another 2 weeks. Finally, I brought it in on 11/1. Thanks to the cars GPS, I could see that the car remained parked in their lot for close to another week before it showed that it had been moved into a repair bay. A few days later I got an email from Tesla listing all the parts ordered and the estimated shipping dates on most of the parts. Ultimately, it was 12/15 before the car's repairs were all done. Part of the reason it took so long was that the Collision Center had to wait for a few of the parts. The final bill came to just over $9200 and thankfully there were no issues about payment from the insurance company. The collision center did a great job. The car looks as good as new, and there are no rattles. Whatever you do, DO NOT go to anything other than a Tesla Authorized collision center!
wow thanks alot for detailed walkthrough. thats certainly really helps alot!! 2 months is pretty long tho, hope we do not have to wait such long because as far as I know my Tesla insurance covers 1 month for rental

Reactions: drdumont
Upvote 0
Alas, yesterday a hit and run box truck backed into my new Model 3. Tire scuff marks on the side of the bumper wraparound, and bent and distorted the fender above the tire. My Rimetrix rim took the worst of the damage to the wheel, only a small chip in the rim. No visible marking on the truck, and the license plate was obscured. Hmmm...
So I dropped in to the Tesla Collision Center near Love Field. A quick looksee and investigation by the good folks there, and it looks like about $3400 to replace the fender, do a little tweak on the bumper, repair the chip on the rim repaint and blend (of course, the most expensive part), and repair the rim.
Maybe in on Tuesday evening and out the next Monday evening. I am heartsick over this
As it happens, I am AMTRAKING Wed thru Mon, so that takes a little of the sting out of it.
We are fortunate here in Dallas to have not only a Service Center but a Collision Center across the street, next to Love Field.
As to timeframe, fingers and whatever else needed crossed. There went my planned Chrome Restore until I get another SS check.

Upvote 0
wow thanks alot for detailed walkthrough. thats certainly really helps alot!! 2 months is pretty long tho, hope we do not have to wait such long because as far as I know my Tesla insurance covers 1 month for rental
Let us know what kind of service you get out of Tesla insurance, and if you manage to get the car repaired in under 1 month. That might be a record.

I lucked out a year or two ago after a parking valet backed the nose of our TM3P into something. It was dark, and raining, and we didn't even notice the damage until 10 next day started getting autopilot errors. Long story short, the bumper hit was minor, and the cover returned to almost normal shape, but the impact broke the front radar sensor bracket, and after some miles the radar went offline. Luckily, the damage was only to the radar and the bumper, and both were replaced in one day at the SC (after a ~3 week appointment wait). Tesla SC's sell body colored bumpers, so the new one was a perfect match. Insurance covered everything, minus the deductible.

In the picture on top of this thread, the bumper is the least of your problems. There is damage to the headlight, front crumple zone structures, and frunk lid. This will definitely be a body shops project.

it happened in a 5 story parking garage while going to a supercharger. We were going up and the other car was coming from upstairs at pretty high speed and my wife was unprepared and swerved to the right and hit the pillar
That story only makes sense if she is a teenager driver.
Not judging your taste in women, just saying....

a

Upvote 0