Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Dashboard... What are we looking at?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will someone identify what I circled in the photo of the Model 3 dash?

IMG_0964.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: Matias
Air flowing through the full-width dash vent blows across the full-width dash trim, exuding a pleasant, woodsy scent for the vehicle's occupants. Different scents available, depending on the species of wood trim selected. Out here in California, I'm going with "Sequoia" for that Redwood forest smell.
Ooh, I'm hoping for cedar or maybe pine like a Christmas tree! :p

I remember Faraday "never gonna happen" Future supposedly was going to have some ridiculous feature like that in the monstrosity of the car they were going to make.

I think it is sunlight coming through the open door gap. If you watch the video (where the screen grab came from) you see that the size/shape of the light patch moves around as someone leans in the doorway, and later as he is closing the door.

sun1.png

I think you can see a blurry shadow of his face covering the right part of it now.

In the video(s) he says something in effect (extremely paraphrasing) about being surprised at just how much attention these vehicles are getting.
So us needing to pick apart a shadow on the dashboard seems apropos.

I think it is sunlight coming through the open door gap. If you watch the video (where the screen grab came from) you see that the size/shape of the light patch moves around as someone leans in the doorway, and later as he is closing the door.

View attachment 237252

I think you can see a blurry shadow of his face covering the right part of it now.

In the video(s) he says something in effect (extremely paraphrasing) about being surprised at just how much attention these vehicles are getting.
So us needing to pick apart a shadow on the dashboard seems apropos.
He mentioned he's never seen product "fans" quite like this before (and he used to be with Apple). The head of global marketing for Tesla came from Burberry and said (and I paraphrase), "I've never seen this level of enthusiasm for a product... you don't see people travelling to meet for a trench-coat convention [referring to Burberry]". It was in relation to our Tesla Owners Club global summit.
We are a very interesting group of enthusiasts that certainly rival any other car brand in the world.

I view it as a mix of pride/honor and also dismay/concern that they are working on a product that is so high profile, but there are masses watching every little move and picking apart every little detail.

If it's not 'real' wood I will be surprised. If it's real I'll leave it alone. If it's plastic it's getting wrapped.

I was really hoping it's from a naturally Fallen Cali redwood. That would be very . The latest cutting edge EV with a reminder of the past.