Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Dashcam Moments - Video or it didn't happen!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something fell off this work truck/van’s bumper and hit my fender (you have to go frame by frame at 40sec to see it fall off, between 44-45 it bounces to center screen). Just got the car back from the body shop today. $1,400.

Can't tell what that object is. Do you think it's a piece of equipment that was unsecured? Or just an unlucky bolt from the car? Or debris kicked up by the car?

Can't tell what that object is. Do you think it's a piece of equipment that was unsecured? Or just an unlucky bolt from the car? Or debris kicked up by the car?
If you watch it full screen and frame by frame you can see it fall off the bumber (on the right side of where the tow ball would go). I think it was a fitting or tool that got left on the bumper. I never went back to find it.

If you watch it full screen and frame by frame you can see it fall off the bumber (on the right side of where the tow ball would go). I think it was a fitting or tool that got left on the bumper. I never went back to find it.

I see. I mention it because if it's an unsecured piece of equipment that flew off and you have evidence, it should fall under that driver's responsibility for the insurance repair bill. Like if a ladder or a box of junk fell off a truck and damaged your car.

Reactions: whatthe2

It looks to me like it came under that work truck already bouncing... Like maybe a lug nut fell off the wheel of a different vehicle in front of that truck.

Reactions: whatthe2
I see. I mention it because if it's an unsecured piece of equipment that flew off and you have evidence, it should fall under that driver's responsibility for the insurance repair bill. Like if a ladder or a box of junk fell off a truck and damaged your car.
Agreed. Hard to see where it can from, but if you can show it came off that truck they would be responsible. But if it’s road debris as TEG mentioned than it’s just unfortunate.

For anybody into video analysis - the dashed lines come every 40 feet (in the US anyway), so at 55 mph, you should be counting roughly 2 dashed line per second. Take the dashes per second and multiply by 27 for miles per hour. Multiply by 44 to get kilometers per hour

55 mph = 5280 * 55 / 60 / 60 / 40 dashes per second = 2 dashes per second
70 mph = 2.5 dashes per second

And for those really into video analysis, here is a nice neural network attempt at guessing speed from video: Predicting vehicle speed from dash cam video – Weights and Biases – Medium

Last edited:
Yeah, I am waiting on my insurance to to do that. They have the video too.

On
B1FFF08D-5D58-4E91-A19C-05312E77A3BC.png

Falling
8AE22AC6-75BC-424F-A137-DAF1693384FC.png

Off
6993EE21-6E80-4D32-B382-7CF790E965B1.png

Hmmm... Looks like that bumper is basically just a step, and maybe nothing normally supposed to be there.
(Looks like any possible trailer hitch is all underneath.)
Perhaps something was just left sitting on the step when they drove off. It does look like the trucked bounced up and down a bit and the road leaned when that object showed up.

shelf1.png

Also, this type of thread would get the most traction and interest in the Model 3 forum because:

1 - Model 3 will outnumber the S/X by many multiples.
2 - Every Model 3 has TeslaCam capability. Not every S and X does.

It wasn't a random decision to pick the Model 3 subforum.
Excuses excuses. I think you guys are all just a bunch of bigoted carists. It won't be long before you guys are discriminated against by the Model Y'ers.

Reactions: OverJohn
I have a new accident video. Starts at 20s, trying to trim the video on Youtube. Saw this ****er off to the side as I passed through the intersection and then saw them continue to drive down the middle of the street like nothing else exists in the world.

amazing, I hope you get this straightened out. This type of thing is all too common and most people get away with it. It's an easy mistake to make though, I have learned to never put things on the bumper, and nstead use my tailgate on the truck, I have lost several drinks this way before!... But whatever that was it sure did some damage! I used to drive a geo metro in LA and I once saw a lugnut come off a heavy truck in front of me in the next lane over, and it bounced a couple times into my side window which I had down. I ducked it and it smacked me hard in the upper back leaving a nice welt.

955B1003-8250-46F8-837F-2F2371D669EE.jpeg
So I’m up to two random things that only happened to my Tesla. A spray paint can that was in road was run over by the truck next to me and it exploded on the front/side of ma car. Luckily a lot of clay barring got most of it off.

View attachment 372766 So I’m up to two random things that only happened to my Tesla. A spray paint can that was in road was run over by the truck next to me and it exploded on the front/side of ma car. Luckily a lot of clay barring got most of it off.

It's the 'ol curse of the new car thing. The attorney I hired to deal with 3rd party insurance companies, told me it was a common phenomenon. I had two people hit my car within the first several months of ownership. No one has hit me in almost two years. Hopefully your luck will change too.

Hello,
I'm new to the forum, from Sweden - Stockholm. Have had a Tesla Model 3 for 9 months, and have been hoovering the forum since then.
What got me to finally create an account and join in was this thread,

I used to work with dashcams up until 2015, I ran a company that worked with BlackVue, and haven't touched or watched a single dashcam video since then. I was fed up one could say. But now, after the last release where you could watch the videos directly on the screen in the car - I was hooked again. This is so much fun!

I even dusted off 6 year old Youtube account I had "on the shelf".
Rebranded and renamed :) Now focusing on ONLY teslacam and sentry videos.
Here is my first submission to the thread. I saw really crazy guy overtaking a lorry on the roadside and threw himself back in resulting in a near miss with a Volvo. Sent it to the Policy, but you can't really see the car make to be honest. Oh here goes:

Ps. Let me know I can help in anyway with BlackVue cameras up until 2015 year models, I have a ton of experience from them :D

Reactions: daver6640 and KenC