Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Dashcam Moments - Video or it didn't happen!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, that was a close call. No one wants to get hit by a dump truck, even an empty one. What was the pickup driver thinking? Was he texting or something, because he sure wasn't paying attention to that Stop sign.

Had my own close call last weekend, now that our State is re-opening, there are lots of "rusty" drivers on the road. I was driving along at 48mph, when a car, stopped in the left turn lane, decides to pull out in front of me. I had a moment to react, luckily, I knew the lane to my right was open, so I swerved out of the way. I counted frames and realized I had all of a second to recognize, know my right lane was open and swerve out of the way. I watched the video and the other driver never brakes when I drive past, honking. Most drivers slam on their brakes when they realize they just pulled out in front of someone. Not this person.

Teslacam records it, as I honked, but I also have an old dash cam setup, that gives me a wider view and gps, speed, etc.
IMG_5998.jpeg

Being behind, if there was a collision, I presume I would have been at fault, but damn, I barely had time to react! And no, the car didn't do any AEB or anything.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
1.) How fast were you going? I swear the camera adds 20 mph. ;)

Actually they do have that effect, I assume because the wide angle distorts the way the brain judges speed. I've noticed this when viewing any dashcam footage, not just Tesla. You can try it for yourself .. drive down a street at the exact speed limit. Capture a clip, then review it. You will appear to be going faster.

Ok, so I couldn't rest with this Teslacam thing.

So I have started a mini series with Teslacam Moments where I have talked with uploaders and (besides getting their permission ofc), got some more info to the story on what happened. So sort of a News Cast of some interesting Tesla Experiences on the roads (and parkinglots).

I'm not making any money out of this of some sort - just a manic interest sparking this right now, :). Spent almost 24 hours gathering info, editing, finding videos etc. My wife thinks i'm nuts. I will upload a video maybe once a week with 4-5 videos in them. I hope at least some will find it as interesting as I do...

Would it be OK to post this kind of videos in here?
If not I will remove asap.

Guys, I'm a bit new to the family. What is the best way to distribute video footage to victims? Can the footage be emailed, or do I always need to distribute a memory card? I have Sentry Mode and Dashcam running, I'm recording video to my SD cards, and I can review them on the screen. I'm using:
  1. Suntrsi TF/SD Card Reader attached with micro SD
  2. VTEQ Tesla Sentry Mode USB Adapter
  3. iPhone
  4. 3 spare micro SD cards
If there is a good FAQ or link, point me to it. Thanks!

Not as dramatic as many of the others but exciting to me since the dashcam help me get justice. Happened at a zipper merge. F150 driver was claiming (quite belligerently) that I swerved into him.. until I produced this video. Shut that down. His insurance promptly paid 100% of repairs and no incident on my record.
it's really hard to tell there was a merge there. i'm betting the driver thought he had the right of way.

Guys, I'm a bit new to the family. What is the best way to distribute video footage to victims? Can the footage be emailed, or do I always need to distribute a memory card? I have Sentry Mode and Dashcam running, I'm recording video to my SD cards, and I can review them on the screen. I'm using:
  1. Suntrsi TF/SD Card Reader attached with micro SD
  2. VTEQ Tesla Sentry Mode USB Adapter
  3. iPhone
  4. 3 spare micro SD cards
If there is a good FAQ or link, point me to it. Thanks!
I’m general email should work, but there’s no real standard for attachment sizes so it’s possible that you could run into issues with the files being to large. Uploading them to YouTube is a fairly trivial process, then you can just send out links.

If you use Apple products then you have some more options (attachments in the cloud or iCloud sharing). I’m sure there are other equivalent services for android/windows/etc.

Reactions: Massive Attack
What is the best way to distribute video footage to victims? Can the footage be emailed, or do I always need to distribute a memory card?
IMO: You probably have five options, in ascending cost order:
  • Send the file(s) by email, as long as they are under the maximum file size limit of your provider; typically 20MB
  • Post the video clip(s) to your YouTube account and send them the link(s)
  • If you have your own website/cloud storage, send them there and give out the URL(s)
  • If you have the equipment, burn the file(s) onto a CD-R or CD-RW disk; blank disks are $0.15 in 100 pack stacks
  • Give them a memory card or USB thumb drive with the file(s) on it; 16GB USB drives are $4-$5 in bulk quantities, SDHC a bit more
You should definitely provide the video clips in .MP4 format for maximum compatibility with whatever computer the recipient is using. I would NOT compress the original dashcam file(s) in order to maintain the best video quality. You CAN trim them for time and smaller file size if the excess footage is not important, but be sure to retain the original file in case somebody later on claims you edited something out (or altered it).

I've provided CD-R disks with footage from my home security cameras to my neighbors when there's been criminal activity in the area. It's the easiest way for me to share the video clips. I've also gone with the YouTube and personal website methods when there's more than one person who needs access to the file(s). Handing out flash drives or memory cards is the most expensive way to do it. While the USB thumb drive should be fairly universal, some people may not be able to read SD or MicroSD memory cards.

Reactions: KenC
IMO: You probably have five options, in ascending cost order:
  • Send the file(s) by email, as long as they are under the maximum file size limit of your provider; typically 20MB
  • Post the video clip(s) to your YouTube account and send them the link(s)
  • If you have your own website/cloud storage, send them there and give out the URL(s)
  • If you have the equipment, burn the file(s) onto a CD-R or CD-RW disk; blank disks are $0.15 in 100 pack stacks
  • Give them a memory card or USB thumb drive with the file(s) on it; 16GB USB drives are $4-$5 in bulk quantities, SDHC a bit more
You should definitely provide the video clips in .MP4 format for maximum compatibility with whatever computer the recipient is using. I would NOT compress the original dashcam file(s) in order to maintain the best video quality. You CAN trim them for time and smaller file size if the excess footage is not important, but be sure to retain the original file in case somebody later on claims you edited something out (or altered it).

I've provided CD-R disks with footage from my home security cameras to my neighbors when there's been criminal activity in the area. It's the easiest way for me to share the video clips. I've also gone with the YouTube and personal website methods when there's more than one person who needs access to the file(s). Handing out flash drives or memory cards is the most expensive way to do it. While the USB thumb drive should be fairly universal, some people may not be able to read SD or MicroSD memory cards.

Guys, thanks for your suggestions. Uploading to YouTube and sharing the link is probably the best way. I imagine giving out the memory cards can have some unforeseen consequences, outside of the cost associated.