Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Dashcam not recording, but Sentry is?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, New Tesla owner here. I am trying to use the Dashcam feature, so I followed the instruction, and grabbed some USB drives. I've tried fast USB 3.0 thumbdrives, and currently using a 256 SSD external USB drive, that can write about 280 mb/s.

I have let the car format the drive, and I can enable the "save clips on honk" for the Dashcam. Furthermore, Sentry Mode will record events and such to the drive just fine.

BUT I cannot seem to get ANY dashcam footage to record. The camera icon is in the upper right when I'm driving, but its just grey with no "X" or red indicator. If I tap on the icon, the "Save Footage" option is greyed out. Also, it doesn't save any footage to the drive when I honk the horn. When I remove the drive and plug into my computer, I can ONLY see the recordings from Sentry, and zero from Dashcam.

I've tried a bunch of different USB sticks, drives, and combinations, but nothing seems to enable the Dashcam. What am I doing wrong here?

Hey all, New Tesla owner here. I am trying to use the Dashcam feature, so I followed the instruction, and grabbed some USB drives. I've tried fast USB 3.0 thumbdrives, and currently using a 256 SSD external USB drive, that can write about 280 mb/s.

I have let the car format the drive, and I can enable the "save clips on honk" for the Dashcam. Furthermore, Sentry Mode will record events and such to the drive just fine.

BUT I cannot seem to get ANY dashcam footage to record. The camera icon is in the upper right when I'm driving, but its just grey with no "X" or red indicator. If I tap on the icon, the "Save Footage" option is greyed out. Also, it doesn't save any footage to the drive when I honk the horn. When I remove the drive and plug into my computer, I can ONLY see the recordings from Sentry, and zero from Dashcam.

I've tried a bunch of different USB sticks, drives, and combinations, but nothing seems to enable the Dashcam. What am I doing wrong here?

Sentry does not record anything. Ever.

Sentry only moves dashcam recording from the "recent" folder to the "saved" folder.

That said- another new owner recently reported an issue where dashcam only worked in Park (which is obviously when sentry would do its thing).

The cause was Tesla had not marked the car as "delivered" in their back end system.

Once they contacted support about it, they corrected this and dashcam began to work outside of Park.

So maybe check on that.

When parked, press on the brake pedal, engage the N (neutral) or the D (drive) and press the horn.

You should get a message saying that the recording has been saved.

Open then the Sentry display and you should be able to select 'All', 'Sentry', 'Dashcam'.
Tried that just now and it doesn’t do anything. I message and no footage recorded.

but sentry will trigger events to be recorded while it’s parked and sentry engaged.
I cannot get it to save or even record any dashcam footage while the car was in motion.

I've got the car scheduled to visit a Service center nearby for an issue with charging at 48amps, so I fired a message off to the Tesla via the app to see if we could get this issue tagged onto that visit. Maybe they can figure it out?
SC solved my dashcam problem and said in an "old system" the car is not marked as delivered. This is a problem that they couldn't notice from the front end system. As soon as they report to the engineer team stating that "the configuration is prohibiting dashcam from recording", the team marked its delivery and problem is solved.

It is a good idea to bring the vehicle to SC if it is nearby. You can push them to work on it faster.

You should also check the cabin overheat projection function. It should also be locked along with the dashcam. They both originates from the delivery marking problem.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
@ParlorPink
WOW! This seems to be exactly what is wrong with mine. I checked, and I the cabin overheat protection options are all greyed out. I have an upcoming service appointment because my car wont charge at 48amps, it will complain of grid quality and drop to 32 amps. The service appointment is to fix that issue, but I sent a message using the tesla app, and they confirmed: My car is NOT marked as delivered, and that is indeed whats causing these two issues (the dashcam not saving footage and the cabin overheat not being enabled). They're sending a message to the delivery team to fix this.

Heres a screenshot of the message to confirm everything:

Attachments

• IMG_3944.PNG
    IMG_3944.PNG
    196.4 KB · Views: 667
Reactions: Taxvictim
@ParlorPink
WOW! This seems to be exactly what is wrong with mine. I checked, and I the cabin overheat protection options are all greyed out. I have an upcoming service appointment because my car wont charge at 48amps, it will complain of grid quality and drop to 32 amps. The service appointment is to fix that issue, but I sent a message using the tesla app, and they confirmed: My car is NOT marked as delivered, and that is indeed whats causing these two issues (the dashcam not saving footage and the cabin overheat not being enabled). They're sending a message to the delivery team to fix this.

On the "grid quality" issue, that is probably not an issue with the car but with your electrical grid wherever you are charging. I would expect them to tell you "it charges fine here, check your grid at home" on that issue. Assuming you are using a wall connector (which is the only way to charge at 48amps), they are going to plug into one of their wall connectors, it will likely work, and they will tell you "nothing wrong with the car".

Again, assuming you are using a wall connector, you want to focus on that, and possibly get whoever installed that back out to look at it. I have yet to see a single person report an error of "grid quality" and have it be something wrong with the vehicle itself. Its either the wall connector (either physically or installation of said wall connector), or an issue with power in your neighborhood.

On the "grid quality" issue, that is probably not an issue with the car but with your electrical grid wherever you are charging. I would expect them to tell you "it charges fine here, check your grid at home" on that issue. Assuming you are using a wall connector (which is the only way to charge at 48amps), they are going to plug into one of their wall connectors, it will likely work, and they will tell you "nothing wrong with the car".

Again, assuming you are using a wall connector, you want to focus on that, and possibly get whoever installed that back out to look at it. I have yet to see a single person report an error of "grid quality" and have it be something wrong with the vehicle itself. Its either the wall connector (either physically or installation of said wall connector), or an issue with power in your neighborhood.

Not exactly. This is a known issue with some LR Model 3's. I have a brand new wall connector (gen 3) installed and its on a 60 amp breaker, so I should be charging at 48 amps in my LR. It will charge at 48amps for a few minutes then gives the error and drops to 32. There are three 16amp PCS modules in a LR, the SR only has two. Apparently, one of those PCS modules is bad, which which is why I drop down to 32 amps (16x2). I get the same error when I plug into any destination chargers. On every destination charger I try, it will go to 48amps for a few minutes, then drop to 32 and give the error. Its an issue with the car.

Theres numerous posts on here about this issue and it being resolved by replacing one of the PCS units:

Not exactly. This is a known issue with some LR Model 3's. I have a brand new wall connector (gen 3) installed and its on a 60 amp breaker, so I should be charging at 48 amps in my LR. It will charge at 48amps for a few minutes then gives the error and drops to 32. There are three 16amp PCS modules in a LR, the SR only has two. Apparently, one of those PCS modules is bad, which which is why I drop down to 32 amps (16x2). I get the same error when I plug into any destination chargers. On every destination charger I try, it will go to 48amps for a few minutes, then drop to 32 and give the error. Its an issue with the car.

Theres numerous posts on here about this issue and it being resolved by replacing one of the PCS units:

I have definitely heard of one of the onboard chargers going bad, but was not aware that generates a "low grid quality" error. If you tried at multiple chargers then you should be good to go, because it should fail at their location when they test it as well.

I am also aware of lots of issues some people have with Gen 3 wall connectors, but since you tried in other places, that also is not likely the case.

Learned something new, about the low grid quality message. Thanks!

@ParlorPink

Did this solve your problem as I'm having same issues, dashcam and cabin overheat not working. Thanks, Mike

Did this solve your problem as I'm having same issues, dashcam and cabin overheat not working. Thanks, Mike

Yessir! Open a service request on your app, tell them the dashcam and cabin overheat are not working, and you think it might be because its not marked as delivered in the "old system and new system". They'll get it fixed. It took about a day before they got mine fixed, but its working great now.

I just took delivery today and my M3P has this exact same issue. I have tried multiple thumb drives. Glad to see it could just be a computer fix on their side. Disappointed not to watch the dash video of the first day, but otherwise the car is fantastic!

I just took delivery today and my M3P has this exact same issue. I have tried multiple thumb drives. Glad to see it could just be a computer fix on their side. Disappointed not to watch the dash video of the first day, but otherwise the car is fantastic!
Give it a few days — mine did not start working until about 3-4 days in. Or perhaps it was based on mileage, as I didn’t drive it much the first few days

Reactions: Taxvictim
Yessir! Open a service request on your app, tell them the dashcam and cabin overheat are not working, and you think it might be because its not marked as delivered in the "old system and new system". They'll get it fixed. It took about a day before they got mine fixed, but its working great now.
Not only did this solve my problem, I now have another year trial of premium connectivity! Thanks for posting. When setting up service through app it wanted me to make an appt but I messaged them and said I don’t think I actually need an appt…and they agreed and fixed!