TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model 3 Deal Breaker

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by James Entha, May 1, 2016.

1. James Entha

James Entha New Member

I want to see how many in this forum the ugly large screen on top of the dash will be a deal breaker for them on this model, And if so what is your suggestion ? So yes I will not buy this model just because of the monitor look and my suggestion is to use a 10 or 12 inch screen integrated into the dash and I would like the classic instrument cluster behind the wheel I prefer one piece LCD but classic gauges are ok.

• Dislike x 6
  2. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

suggest you scroll through older threads. we've already beaten this horse to death.

• Like x 7
  3. doublejj

doublejj Member

We haven't seen the final production interior yet, too early to tell

• Like x 1
  4. Brian Minick

Brian Minick Member

I think they will have something there. I feel like it would be awkward using auto pilot without something in front of you, guided direction, lane changing etc... If there ends up being nothing it would not be a deal breaker for me.

5. garsh

garsh Re Member

The interior is not yet finalized, so you may want to see what the production version looks like before making a decision.

6. Dave Garaffa

Dave Garaffa Member

Who put back the clock to March 31st?

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 3
  7. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

I expect that the display will in fact be part of the dash - just horizontal rather than vertical, and there is no way in Riverside that the display will be as small as that offered in Chevy's nuts and Bolt.

Anyone who finds Tesla design, while not perfect (see B-pillar snafu, cup holders, lack of coat hooks if no pano) but still deservedly award-winning about a hundred times over, to be a dealbreaker of any sort has truly missed the forest for the trees.

All will be well.

• Like x 3
  8. James Entha

James Entha New Member

At least it will be a heads up for them not to design the dash that way.

9. melindav

melindav ☰ reserved

Only deal breaker for me would be another economy downturn in the scale of 2008-2011. Working in an industry that is very influenced by the economy, I would have to put some serious thought into financing a new car, or at the least stepping down what options I would choose.
    I can't see a design change (or the status of the tax rebate) causing me to cancel.

10. kzod

kzod Member

James, no law that says you need to like it. You may find something more to your tastes at a Honda Civic forum. Personally, I can't wait to see what they do with the interior, and to get my car!

• Like x 3
  11. Disneyhorse

Disneyhorse Member

Not a deal breaker. If it is for some, they should just pay more for Model S.

12. zenmaster

zenmaster Member

If it happens to be retained for some reason, there may very well be some aftermarket replacement options. Display tech is cheap.

13. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

Could someone proofread (or translate) the original post, please? I suspect a couple/few intended words may be missing. Thanks.

I suspect it might be a complaint about a 'missing' display of technical data, such as speedometer, odometer, revolutions per minute, oil pressure, water level, oil temperature, volts, etc. behind the steering wheel. I don't much mind the interior not being a replica of a Jaguar E-Type, Morgan Plus Eight Phoenix, Caterham Seven, or Shelby Cobra. The further away from Victorian era concepts of 'luxury' the better. I'd much rather look toward...The FUTURE!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  14. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

^^^
    Now THAT's an instrument panel (last one of course...)!:D

• Funny x 1
  15. Gorilapaws

Gorilapaws Member

I'm praying for a HUD projected on the windshield somehow (as has been rumored). I worry about having to look down and to my right to see my speed/range/autopilot info. That just feels dangerous to me at highway speeds.

Realistically though, I don't think Musk is stupid and he wouldn't have that be the main interface. It was stated that it will make more sense after the part 2 event, and I feel very confident that I'll be happy with the final solution.

16. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

If you want to go hi-tech steampunk retro, then the Pagani Huayra is your huckleberry...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  17. James Entha

James Entha New Member

Not to that extent !!

• Like x 1
  18. AUSinator

AUSinator Member

Much prefer the landscape 15" screen to the vertical model S. The full screen reverse camera when reversing would be awesome on a landscape screen. No deal breaker it's a love breaker for me. Just buy the model S if you don't like it.

19. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

you know the first pic looks actually really timeless. What car is this?

I think what will happen is that tesla keeps the centre screen and then adds a HUD...

20. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Member

I believe that is a Shelby Cobra.

Dan