Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 delivered with 75 foot-pounds lug-nut torque [Update: 75 ft lbs to loosen, not tighten]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
lol. When I sold my last car’s wheels to a friend, it was a nightmare to remove the metal valve stem caps I had put on there. Almost broke one. And on my last car there wasn’t TPMS sensors in the wheels. With the Tesla it’s even more expensive if you break one.

For anyone interested, a quick google on this topic will provide you with all the evidence you need that metal caps are baaaaad idea.

Metal caps are perfectly fine, but you do need to coat the valve stem with antiseize first (I used a copper antiseize)

If you just let aluminum and steel be next to each other bad things happen

Reactions: SummerlinChiro
Good grief!

FYI, if those are metal valve stem caps, remove them and only use plastic ones (like the ones from Tesla). Yes, having fancy red metal ones is fun to look at, but metal on metal will seize over time from rain/moisture etc. Sometimes you have to break the stem to remove the caps (ask me how I discovered this).

used metal caps on cars for a couple decades, never came close to having an issue at any point taking them off

OK, so I see Tesla officially says 129 foot-pounds for all of their wheel lug-nuts.

And in all my years of working on cars, lug torque has been around 80 pounds. Mid-80's max. And a friend just took delivery of a Model 3, went to change the wheels and was not only shocked to see the Tesla spec so high, but also found that the nuts that came on the wheels from the factory were torqued *below* 80 foot-pounds.

Has anybody else checked the torque of their wheel lug-nuts as delivered? Has anybody had any issues with going all the way to Tesla's spec (which frankly scares me)? What is magical about a Tesla that needs such high torque?

Now located on page 190
Annotation 2020-05-21 122705.jpg

129 foot pounds is about the limit of my physical ability. I am not as young as I used to be 60 years ago.

thank god there is no spare, there is no chance of pulling a wheel with a small jack on the side of the road for all but a few Arnold Swart... types.

Larger/longer torque wrenches make it easier. I recently replaced the one I had been using (Tekton) with this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XMSFIM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is a Precision Instruments split-beam torque wrench. It's quite long, so less force is required for the same torque compared to a shorter torque wrench, and the split-beam internal design is 1) more precise than the spring design on most other torque wrenches, 2) does not require that you reset the torque to zero to store the wrench (if you leave the setting of 129 ft-lbs on the Tekton when storing it, the spring will weaken and the torque values will get more and more inaccurate over time), and 3) one of the only torque wrenches left that's USA-made (Precision Instruments makes the ones for Snap-On as well).

It's expensive, so maybe not the right tool for very occasional use. However, I rotate and swap tire sets myself all the time on 2 vehicles, so for me it was worth it.

• Helpful
Reactions: mambro
Just checked my 2021 LR, and all lugs nuts were around 110 ft/lbs; definitely above 100. I set them at 120, since I don't like, nor think it's required, to use more than than on aluminum hubcentric wheels, but that's just me. Removed a lug nut from the Tesla and my other car (also at 120), and felt almost the same, plus all Tesla lug nuts took very little rotation to get them to 120, hence my estimated 110 figure. I use a Gorilla telescopic wrench, by the way, which offers plenty of leverage for 120 ft/lbs. Anyway, manufacturers nowadays go for the highest numbers on everything, from tire pressures, to lug nut torque, just to avoid a potential lawsuit. But the truth is if you're not going to track the car, or push it to its limits on the streets, you'd be perfectly fine with less torque, but since I like to have fun with my vehicles sometimes, I set them to 120.

Anyway, manufacturers nowadays go for the highest numbers on everything, from tire pressures, to lug nut torque, just to avoid a potential lawsuit. But the truth is if you're not going to track the car, or push it to its limits on the streets, you'd be perfectly fine with less torque, but since I like to have fun with my vehicles sometimes, I set them to 120.

Dangerous advice.

Love it how everyone nowdays considers themselves to be the expert on everything, and all the other people who do the job for a living and/or have studied the issue for years are to be ignored.

Next time you have stomach pain, please remove your own appendix and let us know how well that worked.

Guess you don't have common sense then. If you notice, you don't have settings for just a driver, etc. You only get one set of factory recommendations, meaning they're good for up to the absolute max on everything, be it payload, lateral forces, etc. And I didn't give any 'advice'; just mentioned that you don't necessarily have to adopt to factory recommendations. And from 120 to 129, it's the margin of error of a torque wrench man, so hardly 'dangerous'. I'm a mechanical engineer by profession, and have worked on cars all my life, so know better than the average Joe. But yes, those without mechanical knowledge, should stick to factory recommendations.

Yeah... armchair engineers on here think that Tesla came up with 129 lb ft out of their asses.

Engineer 1:
"Yo guys we need to make up a randomly high number to put in the manual for lug torque. How about 130 lb ft?
Engineer 2:
Na that's too obvious, make it 129 lb ft.
Engineer 1:
Yeah that sounds good. Wait why we have to choose such a high number?
Engineer 2:
Beats me, it sounds safer.
Engineer 1:
Yeah, true. I don't even know why they need to hire us. We just fu*kin making up numbers for everything anyway.

Yeah... armchair engineers on here think that Tesla came up with 129 lb ft out of their asses.

Engineer 1:
"Yo guys we need to make up a randomly high number to put in the manual for lug torque. How about 130 lb ft?
Engineer 2:
Engineer 1:
Engineer 2:
Engineer 1:
Yeah, true. I don't even know why they need to hire us. We just fu*kin making up numbers for everything anyway.
Let's not assume that because it was 129ft-lbs, that that odd number implies some level of precision.

It could be that the figure is 175Nm, that got translated to foot-pounds, which is 129.

Reactions: Gasaraki

Engineer 1:
Engineer 2:
Engineer 1:
Engineer 2:
Engineer 1:

Just metric to imperial unit conversion things, from 175Nm to 129lb/ft.

I’ve read that you mostly can’t accurately check the “tare torque”, using a torque wrench. Most articles I’ve read indicate that it’s not an accurate way to check.
One article indicated a dial type torque wrench would be more accurate, but the consensus seems to be you can’t tell.

So to the many posts here indicating the torque was at 80Lbs;
Is it possible that it just can’t be read correctly, and the torque was right, or pretty close to 129Lbs ?