Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Delivery Day; So It Begins.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there TMC,

Today it finally happened. After years of planning and ogling, reading and studying, much gnashing of teeth about my 60a main panel (with plans to circumvent), and lots of scrimping and saving pennies, I finally took delivery of a 2020 Model 3 Stealth Performance, or a P3D- for the pros out there who explained to me how to write this in code.

Many of you read my previous thread where I was trying to figure out whether to stick with my LR order (3-7 weeks wait time) or go for a Performance Stealth that was available to me now, but for 8k more. Of course, that's really 6k more because I wouldn't be splashing out for the acceleration boost in a M3 LR. Add in the $2500 California EV rebate and well, I can further justify the extra cost. Overwhelmingly, the poll response showed that I would regret not getting the Stealth P.

And, you were right. :)

After leaving the Burbank Tesla, gingerly avoiding all of the cars to either side on an insanely hot day, I got to the freeway onramp and gave it some volts. Nothing crazy on cold tires, but wow. This thing MOVES. It moves in a way that I can handle and I love, and I know for a fact that if I had the chance to drive a P or Stealth after buying the LR, I would most certainly have regretted not spending the extra scratch. I'm so glad I asked the experts here, and thank you for being honest with me. As a former sportbike rider and admitted adrenaline junkie (though not as much at 52 as I was at 20), I love the acceleration. I love the subtle looks of the Stealth, and the aero wheels, the minimalist design of the body and interior (white with black interior), and that little red line under 'dual motor' reminds me of the choice I made.

After arriving home, my girlfriend came out to meet me and I took her for a spin. Well, it was supposed to be a little spin but we ended up going through the local canyon because she was feeling the need to just get out of the house. Oh boy, did we. This thing handles like a dream! It took everything I threw at it, which wasn't extreme given it's on the street with my g/f in the car, but I had full confidence in the chassis, the weight distribution, the tires, and even the LR suspension. Plush and firm all at once, with decently-bolstered seats. That A/C worked a treat too, and on a day where it was at least 104° it was sorely-needed. If I wasn't in love with the Model 3 before (and I was), I'm absolutely smitten now.

There's so much more I want to check out with the car, and it looked very nicely finished on inspection. Gaps were good, no obvious paint runs or drips, everything looked well-sorted. I got my phone hooked up both for calls and key, and I called my bro from the car to share the good news.

All told, I'm extremely happy about this purchase. Did I mention how QUICK this thing is? <3 I guess it's good that I wore my Speed Racer shirt to the delivery appointment. :)

zu9uen4.png

Hi there TMC,

Today it finally happened. After years of planning and ogling, reading and studying, much gnashing of teeth about my 60a main panel (with plans to circumvent), and lots of scrimping and saving pennies, I finally took delivery of a 2020 Model 3 Stealth Performance, or a P3D- for the pros out there who explained to me how to write this in code.

Many of you read my previous thread where I was trying to figure out whether to stick with my LR order (3-7 weeks wait time) or go for a Performance Stealth that was available to me now, but for 8k more. Of course, that's really 6k more because I wouldn't be splashing out for the acceleration boost in a M3 LR. Add in the $2500 California EV rebate and well, I can further justify the extra cost. Overwhelmingly, the poll response showed that I would regret not getting the Stealth P.

And, you were right. :)

After leaving the Burbank Tesla, gingerly avoiding all of the cars to either side on an insanely hot day, I got to the freeway onramp and gave it some volts. Nothing crazy on cold tires, but wow. This thing MOVES. It moves in a way that I can handle and I love, and I know for a fact that if I had the chance to drive a P or Stealth after buying the LR, I would most certainly have regretted not spending the extra scratch. I'm so glad I asked the experts here, and thank you for being honest with me. As a former sportbike rider and admitted adrenaline junkie (though not as much at 52 as I was at 20), I love the acceleration. I love the subtle looks of the Stealth, and the aero wheels, the minimalist design of the body and interior (white with black interior), and that little red line under 'dual motor' reminds me of the choice I made.

After arriving home, my girlfriend came out to meet me and I took her for a spin. Well, it was supposed to be a little spin but we ended up going through the local canyon because she was feeling the need to just get out of the house. Oh boy, did we. This thing handles like a dream! It took everything I threw at it, which wasn't extreme given it's on the street with my g/f in the car, but I had full confidence in the chassis, the weight distribution, the tires, and even the LR suspension. Plush and firm all at once, with decently-bolstered seats. That A/C worked a treat too, and on a day where it was at least 104° it was sorely-needed. If I wasn't in love with the Model 3 before (and I was), I'm absolutely smitten now.

There's so much more I want to check out with the car, and it looked very nicely finished on inspection. Gaps were good, no obvious paint runs or drips, everything looked well-sorted. I got my phone hooked up both for calls and key, and I called my bro from the car to share the good news.

All told, I'm extremely happy about this purchase. Did I mention how QUICK this thing is? <3 I guess it's good that I wore my Speed Racer shirt to the delivery appointment. :)
Congratulations!

Reactions: Spacep0d
Congrats!

So they’re making P3D- again?

There are a few around still, but you dont get any discount for not taking the performance package stuff (so you pay the exact same price for the stealth as you do for the model 3 performance with 20s, spoiler, brakes,etc. You just have better range in the car because it doesnt have the 20s. and it doesnt have the red brakes, its a bit easier to find rims that fit it if you are going aftermarket anyway.

I like these posts after all the analysis posts before the purchase!

How the car drives is one of the main reasons so many are willing to put up with so much from Tesla. They really nailed the driving experience imo. Im certainly not anti Tesla... I have a Model 3, Tesla solar, and tesla powerwalls in my garage, lol. With that being said, they definitely have their issues, but the model 3 is a home run in the driving department.

its the only car I have ever driven that feels just as happy going 30 miles per hour as it does "an illegal amount of speed" (lol).

Congrats!

So they’re making P3D- again?

I was exhaustively researching everything (as many on this forum can attest) and one thing I did was to reach out to Tesla with some financing questions, and whether I should join the AWD LR queue before my down payment was ready (it was a matter of days). He urged me to join the queue early, but mentioned that he had a Stealth P nearby, at the closest dealer to me or my 'home' dealer. I thought about it, realized it was only 6k difference (omitting the need to spend 2k on accel boost for the LR) and boom I was in.

I would be in the queue for the LR right now had I not reached out to Tesla with some questions. The Tesla advisor made the switch, we adjusted my down payment a little (they can do a whole lot before you take delivery) and boom I was locked in.

In some ways I prefer the Stealth just because I wanted the full possible range with 18" Aero wheels, I'm happy not to have a spoiler, and it's a bit easier to deal with 18" tire replacements or wheel/rim options if I ever decide to go that route later. I will want to put some aftermarket springs on for a subtle drop, but I will thoroughly explore that later. First mod will be Paint Protection Film and I'm starting my real journey toward an L2 install this week—which is more complicated because I had to get HOA approval first and I need the electrician to be able to draw up architectural plans for running new electricity to my garage with street trenching and the like.

I was exhaustively researching everything (as many on this forum can attest) and one thing I did was to reach out to Tesla with some financing questions, and whether I should join the AWD LR queue before my down payment was ready (it was a matter of days). He urged me to join the queue early, but mentioned that he had a Stealth P nearby, at the closest dealer to me or my 'home' dealer. I thought about it, realized it was only 6k difference (omitting the need to spend 2k on accel boost for the LR) and boom I was in.

I would be in the queue for the LR right now had I not reached out to Tesla with some questions. The Tesla advisor made the switch, we adjusted my down payment a little (they can do a whole lot before you take delivery) and boom I was locked in.

In some ways I prefer the Stealth just because I wanted the full possible range with 18" Aero wheels, I'm happy not to have a spoiler, and it's a bit easier to deal with 18" tire replacements or wheel/rim options if I ever decide to go that route later. I will want to put some aftermarket springs on for a subtle drop, but I will thoroughly explore that later. First mod will be Paint Protection Film and I'm starting my real journey toward an L2 install this week—which is more complicated because I had to get HOA approval first and I need the electrician to be able to draw up architectural plans for running new electricity to my garage with street trenching and the like.
What is an accel boost for th LR? Is this another type of upgrade I haven't heard about?

Thanks to everyone for the congrats! :) I'm one happy camper. Thanks to all of YOU here for the staggering amount of great information and insightful, well-informed opinions. You've helped me tremendously.

Wait until someone uses their horn to speed you up at a red light-turned green because they think you are slow like a Prius. You then can easily just "lift off" away from them - no noise, no tire spin - just a lot of dust behind you.

Hell, I can't even floor my P3D- on any kind of road with other cars. Maybe a second or so at the floor. It's amazing. It's not just the speed - it's that instant torque ....... It's hard to explain. If I can do it at 67, you can do it at 52!

Good luck and Congratulations!

here os a 100+ page thread on the topic of the acceleation boost:

MASTER THREAD: "Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

No need to read the whole thing of course, but the VERY TL ; DR version is, for 2k you can purchase an upgrade to make the LR (AWD) faster. Not just the LR (which could also mean LR RWD)

Yes I know all about this. I will correct my language with LR vs. LR AWD though. I have the Model 3 Performance Stealth or the P3D-. So, as far as I know there's no boost option available.

Wait until someone uses their horn to speed you up at a red light-turned green because they think you are slow like a Prius. You then can easily just "lift off" away from them - no noise, no tire spin - just a lot of dust behind you.

Hell, I can't even floor my P3D- on any kind of road with other cars. Maybe a second or so at the floor. It's amazing. It's not just the speed - it's that instant torque ....... It's hard to explain. If I can do it at 67, you can do it at 52!

Good luck and Congratulations!

Thanks, and yes that will be fun the day someone tries this. While I don't rush lights, I don't dawdle either (like so many bored drivers on gadgets) so I'll be surprised if I get honked at. Any pre-emptive honks might result in me taking someone to Gapplebee's to order off the dust menu. It's also nice to be able to do this to tailgaters. Takes the wind out of their sails.

I had one fun experience on a sweeping freeway onramp. Two lanes. Took the inside lane and the thing just stuck so well. Little bit of go-juice on corner exit and it's 'SpaceX we're ready for liftoff!'.

Reactions: ropogigio724
Yes I know all about this. I will correct my language with LR vs. LR AWD though. I have the Model 3 Performance Stealth or the P3D-. So, as far as I know there's no boost option available.

Oh I am aware you know.. I remember when you started your search a while ago, lol. My post was directed at the person who asked "whats the acelleration boost for LR?", which wasnt you :)