Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model 3 delivery estimator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, @TE3LA. Nice username. Yes, I love Google Sheets. I was actually a volunteer in Google's Top Contributor program last year (my profile) and helped many people with formulas. If anybody here needs help with a Tesla related Google sheet, especially something advanced like arrayformula() or query(), free help is available. Just send me a message.

I also love google sheets. I am a software engineer and use google sheets to manage things I want other people to see. I am not very efficient with spreadsheets because I don't use them that often so I tend to 'hack' the functionality I want into the sheet using Google scripts. Do you have any recommendations for websites that have more advanced google sheet topics/tutorials?

Hi, @ummgood. I will try to keep this short because it is getting off topic.

Practicing on Google's product forums here is very useful. When you help people, sometimes others will also jump in and offer their solutions. Then you can compare the different methods. Also, I recommend creating a special sheet to collect useful formulas. When you see something new, add a simple functional demo to your file and over time you will have lots of useful demos. Here is a screenshot from my demo file. I collected lots of those before I started reading the documentation.

Also, because you have programming skills, you might want to check out the query() function here. This function doesn't exist in excel. Query() gave me the most trouble because I have no programming skills and the syntax was unusual.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Falkirk
Hi, @ummgood. I will try to keep this short because it is getting off topic.

Practicing on Google's product forums here is very useful. When you help people, sometimes others will also jump in and offer their solutions. Then you can compare the different methods. Also, I recommend creating a special sheet to collect useful formulas. When you see something new, add a simple functional demo to your file and over time you will have lots of useful demos. Here is a screenshot from my demo file. I collected lots of those before I started reading the documentation.

Also, because you have programming skills, you might want to check out the query() function here. This function doesn't exist in excel. Query() gave me the most trouble because I have no programming skills and the syntax was unusual.

Thank you!

A few more details from Tesla:

Tesla says Model 3 will have fewer than 100 configurations to Model S’ more than 1,500

upload_2017-5-23_8-33-35.png

Reactions: Saxena
Hi, everybody. Calculations have been updated based on Elon's "AWD in early 2018" comment here. Notice that the timeline for AWD has slightly slipped because previously Elon said AWD in [late] 2017 here. In other words, AWD has now moved from late 2017 to early 2018.

By the way, that chart comparing the Model S to the Model 3 is not very accurate. The Model 3 75D will have more range than the Model S 75D. Also, because it is more efficient, it means it needs less energy to drive the same distance. Therefore supercharge sessions will take about 20% less time, charging will cost about 20% less and degradation will be about 20% slower. In addition, the Model 3 will have the newer 2170 cells with the improved chemistry but the Model S won't for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
By the way, that chart comparing the Model S to the Model 3 is not very accurate. The Model 3 75D will have more range than the Model S 75D. Also, because it is more efficient, it means it needs less energy to drive the same distance.

Where did it say Model 3 75 D? I didn't see the "75" or the "D" in that chart.

@Jayc, let me rephrase: That chart is misleading. It compares the top version of Model S to the base version of Model 3. For example, it shows 2.3s 0-60 time for the Model S, which is the 0-60 time for the Model S P100D but it only shows 5.6s for the Model 3 which is the 0-60 time for the Model 3 55. Similarly, the range numbers are misleading too. It's a cheap marketing trick which I find dishonest because they are explaining these things to people who come into the stores and some of them don't know much about Tesla.

A comparison between the Model S and Model 3 makes perfect sense and the best way to compare them would be to compare the Model S 75D to the Model 3 75D. That's why I mentioned those. The Model 3 75D will have about 20% more range than the Model S 75D. I would expect same or better performance in the Model 3 75D. I would expect the same cabin space. Handling in corners will be better in the Model 3 because of less weight. Supercharge sessions will be about 20% shorter in the Model 3 75D and charging will costs 20% less because of higher efficiency. The newer 2170 cells are expected to support Supercharger V3.

75 kWh Model S versions will be discontinued by the end of this year because most people won't pay more for less range + gimmicks.

@Troy I see where you are coming from from. Just asked because as far as I am aware, it is only speculation at this point that there will even be a Model 3 75D.

I do agree that this is a misleading comparison - my first reaction a few days ago was one of disappointment but I have since calmed down - whatever helps Tesla survive, thrive, etc. I have no objection. Just give me my Model 3 as early as possible :) Regarding M3 vs MS comparison - all I can say is those who know, know and that is enough.

@Troy I see where you are coming from from. Just asked because as far as I am aware, it is only speculation at this point that there will even be a Model 3 75D.

I do agree that this is a misleading comparison - my first reaction a few days ago was one of disappointment but I have since calmed down - whatever helps Tesla survive, thrive, etc. I have no objection. Just give me my Model 3 as early as possible :) Regarding M3 vs MS comparison - all I can say is those who know, know and that is enough.

Remember, they still have another month to go in the last pre-Model 3-era quarter. This quarter is all about capturing every S and X sale you can, because even with your best efforts....once you release the full Model 3 specs and pricing in July, you're going to knock a lot of people "off the fence". Those low-level Model S sales are potentially going to end up as Model 3 reservations, which will be at the back of the line for a while.

Hi, everybody. Calculations have been updated based on Elon's "AWD in early 2018" comment here. Notice that the timeline for AWD has slightly slipped because previously Elon said AWD in [late] 2017 here. In other words, AWD has now moved from late 2017 to early 2018.

By the way, that chart comparing the Model S to the Model 3 is not very accurate. The Model 3 75D will have more range than the Model S 75D. Also, because it is more efficient, it means it needs less energy to drive the same distance. Therefore supercharge sessions will take about 20% less time, charging will cost about 20% less and degradation will be about 20% slower. In addition, the Model 3 will have the newer 2170 cells with the improved chemistry but the Model S won't for the foreseeable future.
I thought they said the test mules had 70kW batteries in them. Elon said 75 was the max, i'm hoping that is the option for battery upgrade. i'm just wondering with all of this "S is superior" from Elon and Tesla, that they won't allow any overlap in range. I really hope not, would be a pretty big mistake.

JSkrehot-range isn't an option. S will always have more. That's not to say 15 yrs from now a model 3 will have more than my 100D I've yet to receive-waiting on custom paint job to be finished up. You buy what you can. My opinion buy with what you want and can afford like a computer. It will be obsolete before you get it. You might get stretched a little bit but being happy with the car you have is better than saying 'I wished, should have, made the wrong' choice later on. I bought what I wanted-max range-100D no P no L-don't care about it at all. I wanted max range and that's what I bought. The 3 maxed out will be lucky get get within 45miles of my 100D.

JSkrehot-range isn't an option. S will always have more. That's not to say 15 yrs from now a model 3 will have more than my 100D I've yet to receive-waiting on custom paint job to be finished up. You buy what you can. My opinion buy with what you want and can afford like a computer. It will be obsolete before you get it. You might get stretched a little bit but being happy with the car you have is better than saying 'I wished, should have, made the wrong' choice later on. I bought what I wanted-max range-100D no P no L-don't care about it at all. I wanted max range and that's what I bought. The 3 maxed out will be lucky get get within 45miles of my 100D.
That's not what I was alluding to. I can could afford a S P100D, I just refuse to spend that kind of $ on a car. What I meant was, I hope that they put a 75 kW battery as "the" upgrade for the Model 3, even though it would have more range than a S with the same battery size. I understand that it will not have the range of your 100. I'm just hoping they don't limit the 3 to a 70 kW battery just to keep there from being any overlap.

If AWD has slipped why has my estimated date for AWD moved from March to January of 2018? Is this due to more people deciding to go for RWD and effectively moving me up in the queue? It appears my D sequence # is the same.

It now shows a start production for my 75D as 12/31/17. The difference I seem to find is my global production sequence number has decreased dramatically (half).