Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model 3 delivery estimator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the second number, (the 200K number) Elon mentioned is based on data but the first number is Elon's guess. If you listened to Elon's exact words, he said "in the second half of 2017". The deadline for suppliers is 1 July 2017.

Therefore I think here is what happened:
Elon knows that the production capacity of the factory will be 400K/year Model 3's. Therefore in 6 months, they can make maximum 200,000 Model 3's. However, Elon knows that not all suppliers will be ready on 1st July 2017. He figured maximum delays would be 3 months, so 100K. However, I think Elon overlooked the production ramp up.

If production capacity of Model 3 lines is 400,000/year or 8,000/week, it is hard to imagine a single line. The Model X production line capacity is 2500 units/week and uses hundreds of robots. Therefore my best guess is 4 production lines of 2000 units/week each. It would be difficult and risky to open all production lines at once.
Interesting explanation.....I don't think you should be using any part of the Model X for predictions of the Model 3 though. The Model 3 is designed entirely different than the other two cars and therefore we will need to wait until production starts to assume how it will go.

I of course am optimistic because I've been waiting for a cheaper Tesla ever since I found out about the company in 2012.

Cool. *bow* One of the things I see right now is 400k/yr or 50k S and 50k Y. So it would take roughly a yr to get all of them made (model3). But incentives will hold back the cars. So basically, subtracting international-he would be able to deliver all the cars in about 3/4yr. So one qtr of cars will be held back for max incentives in the beginning. This is what I'm thinking 3month delay in parts plus 3 month hold backs-gets you to late 2018-OCT. If they ship what they can to 199k cars then ship 300k cars in the next 6 months when they are ready. Just my opinion. I trust Elon knows what he's doing. Even if I got 50% fed incentive-I'll be happy. I'd probably add the sport suspension.

Do we really think that 75000 people ordered in store? With about 100 stores in the US and 200 worldwide that'd be between 375 and 750 people lined up per store. That seems high, do people who lined up think that seems right? Looking at the reservation number hint data from the My Tesla page it seems like it'd be more like 50k or less and then probably a big spike right as online orders start and then another big spike during the reveal.

Maybe something like this:
31 Mar 2016 08:00 1
31 Mar 2016 10:00 500
31 Mar 2016 12:30 25000
31 Mar 2016 15:30 40000
31 Mar 2016 19:25 45000
31 Mar 2016 19:45 85000
31 Mar 2016 21:00 115000
31 Mar 2016 23:59 133000

Either way I think your estimator tool is really cool, great job!

Do we really think that 75000 people ordered in store? With about 100 stores in the US and 200 worldwide that'd be between 375 and 750 people lined up per store. That seems high, do people who lined up think that seems right? Looking at the reservation number hint data from the My Tesla page it seems like it'd be more like 50k or less and then probably a big spike right as online orders start and then another big spike during the reveal.

Maybe something like this:
31 Mar 2016 10:00 500
31 Mar 2016 12:30 25000
31 Mar 2016 15:30 40000
31 Mar 2016 19:25 45000
31 Mar 2016 19:45 85000
31 Mar 2016 21:00 115000
31 Mar 2016 23:59 133000

Either way I think your estimator tool is really cool, great job!

In Austin there were over 400 in line when I left. We had a sign up list and someone went to the back of the line and checked the count. I was number 105 and it took over an hour to get to me after they opened.

Reactions: shrspeedblade
There were probably 300 lined up in Walnut Creek, CA where I was when the store opened, and I'd say probably another 200 showed up later. We were keeping track in line and reports of near 1000 in a couple of areas popped up too. So it's entirely possible that many signed up in person throughout the whole day.

Hi, everybody. I made some changes. Calculations now include estimated 9% cancellations because not all reservations will turn into orders. Also, I noticed some errors and fixed those.

@mrkymarc,
The in-store reservation counts are now as follows:

31 Mar 2016 10:00 501
31 Mar 2016 12:30 33,597
31 Mar 2016 15:30 56,849
31 Mar 2016 19:30 66,538
31 Mar 2016 20:57 101,416

At 8:57 pm Pacific Time, Elon said reservation count was 115,000. Why is it 101,416 here? There are two reasons:

1) On 18 May 2016, when Tesla published the 373,000 number, they said this was the number after 8,000 cancellations and 4,000 duplicates were removed (Source). That means the previous 8 numbers need to be cleaned up proportionately because they include cancellations and duplicates too. Therefore the 115,000 should be 115,000*373/385= 111,416.

2) Elon's number includes about 10,000 reservations by employees. The calculator adds these separately on top of reservation numbers. Therefore I shouldn't have included those.

@ummgood,
I checked that file but couldn't find any consistent data I could use.

Last edited:
@ummgood,
I checked that file but couldn't find any consistent data I could use.

The numbers on the first registration day almost all lump directly to the amount of reservations. For example in the US the numbers on the east coast start about 370k. (This is Mad Hungarian's rough number who was basically the first in the North American continent to put in a reservation).

If you assume very little Model S or Model X accounts were made during March 31st since the stores were pretty much wrapped up fulfilling Model 3 reservations you can assume that almost all of the numbers on March 31st. Now some people I believe in that sheet put down the wrong time zone. And there are probably 10 or so that got assigned really high numbers because they reserved more than one car. Ignoring that though you can see a trend and actually calculate the number of reservations in the US vs Europe etc... Europe and Australia started in the 360k's so you know there is roughly 10k reservations from 360 to 370k. I was in Austin and placed my reservation at 11:15a.m. and my reservation number is about 20k. etc.... You can see where the number is at when each time zone started and figure out how the reservations ramped.

It might not provide any additional information but it is another data point that can be used to figure out how close you are in the estimates to what happened on day 1.

@ummgood,
That sheet is supposed to show all times in Eastern Time because users were asked to enter the data like that. When converting Eastern Time to Pacific Time you subtract 3 hours. When I did that, the earliest Pacific Times should be when the stores opened. Most stores opened at 10am. There were a few that opened at 9am. However, many California entries showed 7:10, 7:20, 7:50 etc. In other words, when the users entered 10:10, 10:20, 10:50 etc, they entered in their local time, instead of converting to EST. The percentage of incorrect entries was too high. That made USA entries useless because I don't know which ones are incorrect.

Non-USA Europe entries were also useless because I needed to see whether different regions have different start numbers. I needed to convert those back to their local time but again I don't know which ones were converted incorrectly to EST. For example, USA start number was most probably 350,000 before the first Tesla employees placed their reservations. In short, working with that file is like trying to build a new house without demolishing the old house. It is extremely difficult, maybe 20 times more difficult than it would have been had they not asked users to convert times to Eastern Time.

In that topic, shortly before this larger sheet was created, there was another Google sheet they abandoned because the author realized that there was no easy way to convert times to the same time zone because he didn't know each user's time zone. I checked that file too. I worked on both files the first day you mentioned them. It is a shame it didn't have enough entries to be useful. The problem with this file was, instead of creating a droplist where users could select their country (USA and Canada would have multiple droplists, one for each time zone but the rest would have one), the author used an input box and let users type their locations.

But then you get lots of random names that include town names etc. He couldn't find an easy way to convert those to the same time zone without doing it manually one by one. If this file was not so short, I would have done that now. Besides the droplist idea, another solution would be to ask users what time it is now. Because form inputs have a timestamp, you would simply subtract the timestamp from users current local time to calculate the difference and then apply that to his local reservation time. Anyway, thanks for your suggestion but there is no useful data here.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: coconutboy84
Quickly tried the new model and it still looks like it is 6 months too early for calculated delivery date. I expect all current owners to have their tesla 3 by end of the yr 2017-it's only about 20k cars with employees. Not that hard to do.

Below is how it worked with the Model X and from everything I have read this is how it will work with the Model 3. Elon Musk DID say that higher optioned cars would be produced first. This was during an interview right after the LA unveiling of the car. I went back and listened to the interviews to make sure. Also, Elon said that those who already owned a Tesla would be put to the top of the West coast group but after the employees group.

Those who put down a $5k deposit for a Model X were given a reservation number (RN) and a reservation sequence number (RSN). The RN was just a customer identification number. The RSN was a sequence number which determined the order in which a person would be allowed to access the design center. I had reserved about six months after the first reservations were taken and therefore my number was around 8,000.

Starting the last week of November through the end of December they opened up the design studio. Those with the lowest RSN were invited to configure first and those with the highest numbers were last. By the end of December all of those waiting to configure had been sent invitations. Starting in January you could go directly to the design studio and place your order without being invited.

With a RSN of around 8,000 I was invited to design my Model X on December 10th. I configured my Model X and placed my order the day I received my invitation. Because of this I ended up going from 8,000 in line to having my car made in the first few days of production, the second week of January. Cars are not necessarily produced in VIN for many reasons. After they made the first 100-150 cars around the third week of January they shut down production for three to four weeks to resolve the many issues they were having. By the time they started making cars they had 5-6k worth of orders in queue and queued (ordered) them based on certain criteria. Those who ordered the Model P90D with both the premium and autopilot option packaged were produced first. Even though I ordered ludicrous mode it wasn't one of the options which moved you to the top. My car came to $155k. Those who didn't order the Performance edition (P), who ordered the smaller battery and who didn't order the premium option and autopilot options were produced last.

What I learned from this experience and what will most likely apply to ordering the Model 3 is:

You will be allowed to configure based on the following order: Employees, Current Owners, West Coast, Center of Country, East Coast, other counties.

When you are invited to configure it is important you configure and place your order the day you get the invitation. Waiting a few days to think about the options and what you want could delay your delivery by many months.

What you order will also impact when you get the cars. Even those who disagree Elon, specifically indicated the week the car was unveiled that the more optioned car would be produced first. One of the main reasons for this is they group like cars together during production. Producing like cars together helps speed production. From a profit standpoint it makes financial sense to produce cars with a higher profit first.

There has been a lot of discussion when production will start. Officially, they said Model X production started in November 2015 but in reality only 7 Founders cars had been made and these cars were made by hand so they could say that production started during the second quarter of 15. In reality production for signature cars starts in late December and the true production cars started in January/February.

From everything I have read by professionals who follow this in the industry indicate Model 3 production will probably not start until late 2017 with full ramp not until mid-2018.

Below is how it worked with the Model X and from everything I have read this is how it will work with the Model 3. Elon Musk DID say that higher optioned cars would be produced first. This was during an interview right after the LA unveiling of the car. I went back and listened to the interviews to make sure. Also, Elon said that those who already owned a Tesla would be put to the top of the West coast group but after the employees group.

Those who put down a $5k deposit for a Model X were given a reservation number (RN) and a reservation sequence number (RSN). The RN was just a customer identification number. The RSN was a sequence number which determined the order in which a person would be allowed to access the design center. I had reserved about six months after the first reservations were taken and therefore my number was around 8,000.

Starting the last week of November through the end of December they opened up the design studio. Those with the lowest RSN were invited to configure first and those with the highest numbers were last. By the end of December all of those waiting to configure had been sent invitations. Starting in January you could go directly to the design studio and place your order without being invited.

With a RSN of around 8,000 I was invited to design my Model X on December 10th. I configured my Model X and placed my order the day I received my invitation. Because of this I ended up going from 8,000 in line to having my car made in the first few days of production, the second week of January. Cars are not necessarily produced in VIN for many reasons. After they made the first 100-150 cars around the third week of January they shut down production for three to four weeks to resolve the many issues they were having. By the time they started making cars they had 5-6k worth of orders in queue and queued (ordered) them based on certain criteria. Those who ordered the Model P90D with both the premium and autopilot option packaged were produced first. Even though I ordered ludicrous mode it wasn't one of the options which moved you to the top. My car came to $155k. Those who didn't order the Performance edition (P), who ordered the smaller battery and who didn't order the premium option and autopilot options were produced last.

What I learned from this experience and what will most likely apply to ordering the Model 3 is:

You will be allowed to configure based on the following order: Employees, Current Owners, West Coast, Center of Country, East Coast, other counties.

When you are invited to configure it is important you configure and place your order the day you get the invitation. Waiting a few days to think about the options and what you want could delay your delivery by many months.

What you order will also impact when you get the cars. Even those who disagree Elon, specifically indicated the week the car was unveiled that the more optioned car would be produced first. One of the main reasons for this is they group like cars together during production. Producing like cars together helps speed production. From a profit standpoint it makes financial sense to produce cars with a higher profit first.

There has been a lot of discussion when production will start. Officially, they said Model X production started in November 2015 but in reality only 7 Founders cars had been made and these cars were made by hand so they could say that production started during the second quarter of 15. In reality production for signature cars starts in late December and the true production cars started in January/February.

From everything I have read by professionals who follow this in the industry indicate Model 3 production will probably not start until late 2017 with full ramp not until mid-2018.

This is awesome! Thank you!

Did you know the options and the pricing prior to being invited? I am probably the first 10k people to reserve in the US. I am worried I won't have much time to plan after they give the options/pricing.

This is awesome! Thank you!

Did you know the options and the pricing prior to being invited? I am probably the first 10k people to reserve in the US. I am worried I won't have much time to plan after they give the options/pricing.

Did you reserve in Austin, TX?

Because if you weren't in the Eastern Time Zone...there's probably bad news concerning your "first 10K in the US" assumption.

Isn't 36,449 a little too high? No, because 7% is the percentage of reservation holders who have a Tesla. Tesla mentioned the 7% on 4 May 2016 earnings call.

But that wasn't what Tesla said. They said that only 7% had ever CONTACTED Tesla previous to pre-ordering. Not that 7% had previously bought a car.

Thank you kindly.