Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model 3 delivery estimator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question- it looks like the earliest delivery, the "first production" option, starts at $49k. The larger battery is supposed to make it $44k, so is this price included the $5k premium upgrade? I want the $44k battery but not the $5k upgrade with it. Will I have to wait for the first delivery estimate or the second delivery estimate?
correct. all "first production" will include the premium package. as Elon said before, you're literally only picking your wheels and color (and the software options like EAP and FSD).

Ease of production.

So does that mean I'll be able to get the larger battery without the $5k premiums upgrade (totaling $44k) in the second time window? It only mentions the smaller battery in the second time window so that's why I'm confused.

I think so. The second time window is seemingly when all options will be available and configurations would be possible for RWD.

Interesting to see Tesla employee still get front of line regardless of date -- 1/2017 (9 months after reveal) and still gets front of line. Nice perk.

Also, Tesla owner gets 2nd position regardless if east coast. So looks like priority settings confirmed and based on those here with my families differing location and time reservations:

Stage 1: First Runs July-Sept: Loaded cars
1. Tesla employee - Location West -> East coast delivery
2. Telsa Owner (1st reservation only) Location West > East coast delivery
3. In-Store USA Location West > East coast delivery
4. Online USA Location West > East coast delivery

Stage 2: Starts in Sept for Standard battery ---my guess is that they will start these once ALL Stage 1 orders completed- hence the range in 1st qtr. Same priorities

Reactions: jgillispie
correct. all "first production" will include the premium package. as Elon said before, you're literally only picking your wheels and color (and the software options like EAP and FSD).

Ease of production.
A few things are happening here though.

There are people who care about Tesla and their production lines - and that's fine.
However there are people who care about their cars - and that's fine also.

I have prioritized my car and money over Tesla's production line.

It is true that production would be easier if ......... , however if it delays me getting my car then I don't care for it too much.

Yes, the $5k is the premium upgrades option. This is from the FAQ:

Model 3 Reservations FAQ
A few things are happening here though.

There are people who care about Tesla and their production lines - and that's fine.
However there are people who care about their cars - and that's fine also.

I have prioritized my car and money over Tesla's production line.

It is true that production would be easier if ......... , however if it delays me getting my car then I don't care for it too much.

I'm seriously considering just getting a loaded RWD....New England winters be damned.

I'll wait and see what the delivery dates look like when things start to shake out, though.

Missouri here, 3/31 online reservation holder within a minute or so after they opened for business (pre-reveal), not a previous customer - RWD long range shows delivery in Dec-Feb; dual-motor shows Oct-Dec.

I originally was going to wait for dual motors, but with the timing change and tax credit, I will go for RWD.

I dont think the Tesla site has the right dates for the Duel motors. Either that, or they have had issues with them and they are being cautious about when they will be available. Nothing that has been stated in the past would explain Aug-Nov 2018 for a day one, owner reservation for or Duel motor contradicts what was stated early that it would be early 2018.

I wonder what percentage of early reservations will defer the initial fully loaded RWD cars and wait for the smaller battery pack option or dual motor. I'm all in for the loaded RWD so I'm hoping I'll get one before the end of the year. It's going to be tight based on Tesla's estimate of Dec-Feb. I'd love to get the tax credit on my 2017 tax return.

Elon repeatedly said AWD in late 2017 or early 2018. Now it looks like earliest is September or October 2018. That means $3,750 tax credits instead of $7,500. I don't know why it is delayed so much.

Also huge delays with Right-Hand-Drive versions. Elon had said summer 2018. Now they just say 2019. It is unclear when in 2019. To me, it sounds like the parts for AWD and RHD are not ready yet.

Elon repeatedly said AWD in late 2017 or early 2018. Now it looks like earliest is September or October 2018. That means $3,750 tax credits instead of $7,500. I don't know why it is delayed so much.

Also huge delays with Right-Hand-Drive versions. Elon had said summer 2018. Now they just say 2019. It is unclear when in 2019. To me, it sounds like the parts for AWD and RHD are not ready yet.

or they haphazardly threw some numbers up for now, and will adjust when things come into focus

I think so. The second time window is seemingly when all options will be available and configurations would be possible for RWD.

Are the 3 time windows that show up based on YOUR original date of ordering? I'm a bit unclear on this and the website doesn't clarify it. If it is, these dates are significantly earlier than Troy's estimator...with the exception of the AWD model.

or they haphazardly threw some numbers up for now, and will adjust when things come into focus

Or the production ramp up is expected to be much slower than initially thought but instead of admitting to ~8 months delays, they are hiding the delays with the "AWD will be late but RWD is on time" excuse. If AWD drive is that late, they won't have enough RWD orders until Sep 2018.

I will update the calculations but currently, it shows 261,000 deliveries by the end of August 2018. Supposedly, this should be all RWD. However, they don't have 261,000 RWD orders worldwide let alone in the USA. They have 160,000 RWD and 280,000 AWD orders worldwide.

Therefore either 5000 units/week by the end of 2017 is wrong or no AWD until Sep 2018 is wrong.

Last edited: