Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model 3 delivery estimator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Troy and @ModelNforNerd

Two things to consider based on my Model X reservation/production ramp experience:
  • Tesla is likely managing expectations with the estimated dates. When I converted my reservation to an order for my X, I was given an expected delivery range of "Fall 2016". I took delivery in mid-July 2016.
  • I don't think the potential lack of RWD orders matters because there will be 1) people converting to RWD to get earlier delivery and 2) new reservations for RWD cars. For example, I have a more or less base Model X. There are people who reserved/ordered after me who got their cars before I did because they ordered the models Tesla was producing at the time.
I very much want AWD for my 3 (New England winters). However, depending on the delay and the tax credit situation, the effective price difference could be over $10k vs. RWD. Probably not willing to pay that much more for AWD.

Troy, if you read my post above, any idea why there's such a discrepancy between their estimate and yours? Using yours I show a delivery date of Nov-Dec for the extended battery. Using theirs I'm seeing Mar-May. Even the standard battery puts me in the May-July timeframe. Kind of nuts that we're seeing this much of a disparity.

IMG_2084.PNG Tesla's own delivery estimator! Ordered on day one post unveiling!

Elon repeatedly said AWD in late 2017 or early 2018. Now it looks like earliest is September or October 2018. That means $3,750 tax credits instead of $7,500. I don't know why it is delayed so much.

Also huge delays with Right-Hand-Drive versions. Elon had said summer 2018. Now they just say 2019. It is unclear when in 2019. To me, it sounds like the parts for AWD and RHD are not ready yet.

Well, not September or October. My Tesla estimate says it could come as early as July. Presumably employee orders are earlier. Still not early 2018 as expected and it makes you wonder about the fact that they say AWD deliveries start in "Spring 2018"

Troy, a few observations ... as a Model S owner with two early 3/31/16 reservations. Hope this helps. :cool:Tesla SSO - Login
  • Only the first reservation receives priority
  • The second reservation receives geographic priority
  • Only 1 month improvement for 1st 310 Mile reservation (Oct vs. Nov 2017)
  • Only 1 month improvement for 1st 220 Mile reservation (Dec vs. Jan 2018)
  • Only 2 month improvement for 1st dual motor AWD reservation (July vs. Sep 2018)

upload_2017-7-29_9-3-38.png

Last edited:
@Oloron, thanks. I will use this in calculations.

@Ken7, my estimator is not accurate because it was based on what Elon had said in his tweets and last month during the shareholder meeting. Now they are saying completely different things. I hope people understand this and don't blame me for Tesla changing their projections. Some people here implied my estimator was not accurate.

@gregincal, I think I might end up using the employee data and ignoring the rest.

By the way, lots of people were speculating over 238 mi EPA with base version. My estimate was 218 mi EPA. Tesla says 220 mi. Also, I estimated $45,000 starting price for larger battery RWD version. Tesla says $44,000. The longest range is more than I thought but overall I'm happy with my estimates. It is a shame the Estimator turned out to be wildly different because Tesla has changed their plans. Just last month during the shareholder meeting Elon said late 2017 or early 2018 for AWD.

I will check all screenshots added to this thread. Thanks to people who are adding those. Are there people here from Europe? Can you add screenshots, please?

Last edited:
Just last month during the shareholder meeting Elon said late 2017 or early 2018 for AWD.

I agree this makes modeling tricky.

From your prior comments, I assume you know this, but for others who might not.... Info from earnings calls and shareholder meetings is more accurate than marketing info. Companies (and executives) have way more legal leeway to "manage expectations" with customers than they do investors. Situations can always change, but if current info from an earnings call seems to conflict with marketing info - believe the earnings call.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Weezer Fan and Ulmo
seems like mytesla is not working for me right now? i am surprised to see screenshots. last night it was redirecting to the livestream site and today the 'mytesla' link on the homepage does nothing for me, just sits on the homepage. browser issue?

$49k for the first Model 3's, per Tesla's website? Somehow I was hoping for $35k. Silly me, wishful thinking. I lined up at 5:30am in Calif, and my estimate is Nov 2017-Dec for a $49k model of Jan-Mar 2018 for a $35k model.

Hey, when will Tesla hit 200k cars in the US? I hope I get some Fed tax incentives if I want a performance version in Sep-Nov 2018, but it doesn't sound like it. That means a performance version will cost me $7.5k more on top of a price bump. How much $$$ is a performance dual motor going to run?

thanks, yes i can see if i follow the link in the FAQ i get that screen! i reserved at 7:25PM on 31 march 2016 and i am not an employee and don't already own a tesla; for the big battery it says dec 2017-feb2018, for the small battery, feb-april 2018, and AWD oct-dec 2018.

so a month or three past what Troy's estimator was saying (17 november if i remember correctly).

I found the video here from last month's shareholder meeting where Elon says AWD at the end of this year or early next year. It looks like they have added 6 months to it. Not sure why.

@InsideScooper, my estimate was $74,000 starting price for the performance version. I will stick with that. Also, I estimate 3.1s 0-60.