Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Delivery Experience in Fremont

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just finished up. In less than 15 min, totally chill and stress free here right now. Also, very well organized. Had like 5 different people ask to help me.

I didn’t get my car, white P3d+ black interior.
They wouldn’t give me a new date either, since I just pushed the change.

It’s quiet enough that I asked for ge three of you:

yes @ntam on the red P3d+ white interior (2 left)
no @BrianS for the white performance
no @radiolab for the blue P3d w/Black (but he said he could have it in two days for delivery.

They have tons of rear wheel drive cars. Probably at least a few other awd.

Man I love reading this *sugar*. It’s a nice fix after the hunger games movies ended. :D

I can totally see a bunch of people eyeing the one red P3+ that has a spoiler and badges attached.

Everyone runs over to the car yanking on the door handles finding the doors are locked.

In my quick thinking, I smash the rear quarter window, reach in and open the door from the inside.

I dive into the vehicle headfirst and snatch the golden wrapper from the mirror.

As Fremontians try to tackle me and take the tag away I unleash my inner Bo Jackson from tecmo bowl and evade the crowd.

I make it to the DSA and spike the golden wrapper on the table.

Score a red performance 3 PUP, a Tesla factory tour and a Willy Wonka factory tour.

@Jedi2155 - let’s fly up next week and see what we can find??!!!

Just finished up. In less than 15 min, totally chill and stress free here right now. Also, very well organized. Had like 5 different people ask to help me.

I didn’t get my car, white P3d+ black interior.
They wouldn’t give me a new date either, since I just pushed the change.

It’s quiet enough that I asked for ge three of you:

yes @ntam on the red P3d+ white interior (2 left)
no @BrianS for the white performance
no @radiolab for the blue P3d w/Black (but he said he could have it in two days for delivery.

They have tons of rear wheel drive cars. Probably at least a few other awd.

Thanks Quinndo- we’re almost looking for the same car except for the +.

@Jedi2155 - let’s fly up next week and see what we can find??!!!

Hahhaha, I've been thinking of the logistics and the benefits of this since I heard about this yesterday morning. Don't you already have a car??? Road trip time?!? We could be back by nightfall! The sad part is we were never invited though. I'm wondering if they'll hold one down here in SoCal next weekend.

Last edited:
I also asked about where these cars all came from. Obviously no one could share exact details, but after hearing some reasons from a couple people that seemed to be knowledgeable it sounds like they are cars that missed shipments to the east cost. The distribution and shipping channels are overloaded, so any cars that see production delays “miss” the truck, and can’t be made up because the shipping centers that they travel to (one mentioned in NJ) are completely full with the subsequent shipment when it goes (they can’t just double what they send in the next delivery since there isn’t space or it’s too complicated).

Rather than slow sales they release those VINs in the event. So definitely no indication of it being an event to matxh reprocessed cars.

I also asked about where these cars all came from. Obviously no one could share exact details, but after hearing some reasons from a couple people that seemed to be knowledgeable it sounds like they are cars that missed shipments to the east cost. The distribution and shipping channels are overloaded, so any cars that see production delays “miss” the truck, and can’t be made up because the shipping centers that they travel to (one mentioned in NJ) are completely full with the subsequent shipment when it goes (they can’t just double what they send in the next delivery since there isn’t space or it’s too complicated).

Rather than slow sales they release those VINs in the event. So definitely no indication of it being an event to matxh reprocessed cars.

This actually makes a lot of sense that the delivery channels are overloaded. My original delivery date was 8/30 and after talking to a delivery manager at my local store, they said that my car was built in Fremont, it just never made it on the truck for shipment for whatever reason.

When you have a ramp out in production at the rate Tesla just did, you're going to overload every system in the supply chain network.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Day 1 peeps gave up Day 1 privileges as soon as they failed to act when given a chance to configure the first Tesla offered to them.

That’s what the line was for. Not first dibs on everything now and forever for perpetuity.
From the beginning we were told to select the type we were waiting for and it was implied that was what the reservation was for. LR RWD, AWD, or SR. That were literally our options. Nobody gave anything up. The moment I could order an AWD I did.

Reactions: SoCalGuy
Hahhaha, I've been thinking of the logistics and the benefits of this since I heard about this yesterday morning. Don't you already have a car??? Road trip time?!? We could be back by nightfall! The sad part is we were never invited though. I'm wondering if they'll hold one down here in SoCal next weekend.

Haha yeah I have my car but I would be down for a spectacle. Who needs an invite. Print a fake email and drop some *sugar* like so and so from Vegas gave me a call and told me to go pick a car and she would notify you guys so you would expect us.

I think Tesla has an event in SoCal before the end of the quarter. If not this next weekend, the one after for sure.

It’s just better for them to completely dry up impulse buys east bay and north cal due to the factory being right there.

If Tesla economists and data scientists are on point, they know exactly what to load trailers with for the SoCal event. Why not sell 1000 cars in a weekend if you can...

If Tesla economists and data scientists are on point, they know exactly what to load trailers with for the SoCal event. Why not sell 1000 cars in a weekend if you can...

Unfortunately Ben Sullins refused to work for Tesla lol. Although I have found multiple faults with his analysis in the past so, even seasoned data scientists can make mistakes.

Reactions: SoCalGuy
From the beginning we were told to select the type we were waiting for and it was implied that was what the reservation was for. LR RWD, AWD, or SR. That were literally our options. Nobody gave anything up. The moment I could order an AWD I did.

When did you finalize with the 2500? If I recall around June 26th was when AWD and P opened until for all. It was first come first serve at the date for the early part of the quarter.

Now we are nearing the end, Tesla is going to manipulate deliveries for maximum numbers based on logistical factors.

Fascinating and makes sense. So delivery logistics problems are causing a serious mess -- this is also what's delaying the people on the east coast who get sudden "your car wasn't loaded on the train, we're rescheduling you for a month later" messages on short notice.

I attended both days and I still don't have my car. I'm looking for silver metallic and there wasn't a whole lot to choose from. On Saturday it seemed like the majority of cars were AWD. Anything close to what I was looking for didn't have a tag hanging so they were already sold. On Sunday I found my configuration and took the tag inside to purchase the car only to find out it was already sold and the tag shouldn't have been hanging from the mirror. It really didn't surprise me as the overall Model 3 ordering process has been a huge disappointment to me ever since I reserved a year ago.

I couldn't help thinking how unfair it is to even have this event. I get it, Tesla wants to move as many cars as possible before the end of the quarter. I know how important it is for Tesla to show strong sales numbers and possibly show a profit for the quarter. But I believe a lot of people at the event weren't invited and some went there without even having ordered a car. On the right side of the building they had computers setup and it looked like people were configuring and ordering onsite. If you've never ordered you shouldn't be able to choose one of these cars. These cars should go to reservation holders and/or people who placed their orders a long time ago. I heard one lady complaining because she placed her order a month ago and she didn't have a delivery date and she's been reading on the forums how people are getting assigned a VIN within a few days of ordering. Well hello I reserved a year ago, placed my order on 6/27 (the earliest opportunity for me), I ordered a RWD, not an AWD or performance, and I've never been contacted by Tesla to arrange a delivery. I call weekly and they keep saying to just be patient. I live 15 minutes from Fremont, paying cash, no trade in, how can I not have my car by now or at least have a scheduled delivery? There are people all across the country that have been patiently waiting, possibly for 2+ years, and yet they have an event like this and allow people to leapfrog over loyal Tesla customers. It's a terrible way of doing business. Maybe have events like this but do a better job matching cars to long time reservations holders.

Kudos to all the Tesla employees working the event. Everyone I interacted with was patient, helpful, and friendly. Many times I was approached and asked if I needed any help. Big thanks to Catherine for spending extra time looking to secure a VIN for me. Catherine, If you happen to read this I really appreciate your help.

Congratulations!

So the "no more P/AWD" email last night was misleading? You found an AWD config? Were you able to keep the earlier prices for paint and delivery?
Yes, that email did not correlate with what I saw today. There were a number of Performance and Dual Motor cars there in several colors. Red was in very short supply. Plenty of white, blue, black, dark grey and even silver cars were available this morning. Many of the window stickers describing the configuration of the car were wrong. You need to get into the car — they were all open — tap the Tesla “T” at the top of the screen and confirm whether or not they were Dual Motor and/or Performance.

I drove away with a silver/white Dual Motor car with 19” wheels that was very close to what I had configured. Seeing the white seats with silver paint in real life for the first time sold me. The purchase process was relatively easy. Fantastic car! Zero detectable paint and cosmetic defects. Absolutely nothing wrong with the car that I can see. Drives like a dream! As a former Roadster and S owner, and current X owner, the 3 is the most amazing Tesla ever, in my opinion.

Did they have EAP and/of FSD pre-loaded on any of them ? that will confirm one of the theory where these cars came from in few posts above ? If not loaded, then the new buyer has to pay $5,500 for EAP I guess which is not fair even though someone is going to argue why that is correct :)

Did they have EAP and/of FSD pre-loaded on any of them ? that will confirm one of the theory where these cars came from in few posts above ? If not loaded, then the new buyer has to pay $5,500 for EAP I guess which is not fair even though someone is going to argue why that is correct :)
The EAP and FSDC options are present in the firmware installed in every Tesla. If the buyer pays for them then they are available. If they don’t pay for those options then they are not available in their car.

I'd expect them to add EAP/FSD at the pre-delivery price. There's no technical obstacle.

I went to the event today around 2pm. Based on this thread my expectations were low, but I was driving by Fremont anyways so figured I would stop by. I have a reservation and recently received an email to schedule a pickup at the end of September. I also RSVP'd for the event.

It was actually a pretty great experience, given that I wasn't really expecting to drive away in a car.

I was directed to a parking spot close to the door and walked right up to the checkin table. They had me fill out a form with my name, reservation number, and preferred config.

Then a nice volunteer (who normally works in the legal department) walked me over to another table where someone sifted through a Google sheet with the inventory available. This long table had separate queues depending on the color you were looking for.

I'm going for a solid black, black interior, AWD (non-performance), with the 18" aero wheels. They had that config, but with 19" wheels. I told them I'd just wait for my delivery appointment to get exactly what I want.

Third stop was another table to schedule a delivery appointment. I got a time on 9/22 confirmed at the same Kato Rd. location, which is a day earlier than I was offered over email a few days ago (plus no one had actually gotten back to me to confirm over email). At this point, I felt the 10 minutes I'd invested by stopping by was totally worth it. But then, after apologizing for not having my configuration in stock I was offered a $100 credit for Tesla accessories! They took my email down and said I'd see something in my account (nothing yet, but I imagine they're going to do some kind of manual processing.)

Fourth stop was another table where I was asked to log in to my Tesla account, which I did on my phone, rather than their public computer. They made sure I had everything filled out like the registration information, insurance, etc. I'm planning to pay cash without a trade in, so this only took a minute. I imagine if I had questions about financing or a trade, this person would be able to answer them.

Maybe 20 minutes for the whole shebang, including sitting in a 3 for the first time and shaking down the refreshments. Seemed very well run from what I saw. Some of the staff seemed a little shell shocked from yesterday, and I was told Sunday morning was busier as well. They clearly have made a bunch of improvements to the flow. At each stop on my little journey, the staff added some notes to my intake form. Then at the end, they kept the form for their records. I didn't have to spend any time wandering around a hot parking lot looking for a car.

Biggest complaint is that the La Croix options were limited (Lemon or Lime) and barely below room temperature :).

tesla_event_flyer.png