Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Delivery Experience in Fremont

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks to those giving live updates, super helpful for others invited trying to determine if it’s worth the trek!!!

I’m coming from SF, and seeing that I may be driving a car home at inclined to take Bart, but that’s a PITA.

I’m looking for a white P3D+, black seats. If anyone sees one or more of those holler back here it’ll help me decide.

DO NOT GO!!!

Let this be a warning to anyone about to go over. You will wait in line for 30 minutes, then they will ask you why you were waiting in line like you should know. Then tell you to find any car you want on the lot. Once you’ve walked the tiny lot and discovered they are all taken, they will acted shocked like there must be a million free cars out there. Then you can wait in another hour long line to schedule a delivery, or just go home. I went home and will wait until my scheduled deliver on the 25th.

I showed up 3 hours into a weekend long event and everything was gone. What are these people thinking?! There was a lot of confusion and a lot of unhappy people.

DO NOT GO!!!

Let this be a warning to anyone about to go over. You will wait in line for 30 minutes, then they will ask you why you were waiting in line like you should know. Then tell you to find any car you want on the lot. Once you’ve walked the tiny lot and discovered they are all taken, they will acted shocked like there must be a million free cars out there. Then you can wait in another hour long line to schedule a delivery, or just go home. I went home and will wait until my scheduled deliver on the 25th.

I showed up 3 hours into a weekend long event and everything was gone. What are these people thinking?! There was a lot of confusion and a lot of unhappy people.
Wow all sold already? They didn't bring additional car in?

I got there around 10:30 and there are not lots of choices. I found a midnight silver with white interior, and it said performance model. Before I got the tag, I had talked to two Tesla staffs and both said that there is 19” for performance model. I was like . I took their words and waited in line. Only later they found out they made a mistake. And there is no inventory for me but they just made an appointment for me any way. Probably because I was so mad about the whole process.

Downing a few beers before driving off in your new car? Probably not a good idea!
I'm not sure where "downing" and "few" crept in there, but yeah. My general policy is: Have fun. Don't be stupid.

I've heard that some folks drive when they're sleepy! Others suck on a burning stick. Some carry on text conversations. And still others exceed the posted speed limit.

It's a mad world out there! Buckle up.

I suspect unless you are looking for something with a white interior or RWD it is not worth going. I got there a couple hours ago and most of the vehicles in the lot seemed to be sold, they may be filling them back in but it does not seem to be happening quickly.

After looking through the lot and coming up empty, I waited in a line that was supposed to schedule your pick up later this afternoon or tomorrow, which took about 45 minutes. In the line they were handing out wristbands to customers whom wanted RWD, which makes me think they might have a better chance of getting a car. A few other customers had Tesla representatives come up to them and talk to them while in line, I get the impression some customers were complaining, and the complainers in the line got faster service. The Tesla representative I eventually got to suggested that no AWD with black interior were built yet, and that I should wait until my actual delivery date later this month.

It would have been nicer if they could have communicated what SKU types were not going to be available at the event, they do seem to know what is really available. Maybe they don't specify because they want people to pick up whatever they happen to have, and getting people in the door makes that more likely to happen.

Don't go unless you are going to pay cash and/or finance with Tesla, and don't mind spending hours there.

By the time I got there, they told me to go outside and find my desired configuration. All the blue ones were either sold or had no configuration sheet (meaning someone has already taken the sheet inside and about to buy and take it home). They said they might bring in more cars in 2 hours, but hey, that's pointless because by then the bank (with which I'm financing the car) would have closed and I wouldn't be able to get the loan.

I just got back from the event. Somewhat of a crap shoot if they have your exact configuration. I was looking for Silver Metallic, RWD, black interior. Only 5 or so silver and they are AWD with white interior. Supposedly there will be more onsite tomorrow but it might still tough to find your config. It seemed like most were AWD and/or Performance. They had a couple MSM RWD which looked great and I briefly considered getting that color. But I figured I've waited for over a year so I can wait a bit longer to get exactly what I originally wanted. It seemed like there were a lot of white and black cars. A decent amount of MSM but not many blue, red or silver. There were a lot of people there and more people were there when I left at 2PM compared to when I arrived at 12:30. I seriously doubt everyone there got the email last night and RSVP'd. It's really not fair that they can just show up and leapfrog reservation holders and either pick out a car or schedule a delivery.

They had a separate line where you could schedule a delivery if you can't find your config. I'm certain that there is something holding up my order. I reserved September 2017, ordered on 6/27 when the floodgates were opened, and I only ordered RWD, not AWD or Performance. I've had a VIN assigned for 6 weeks and even after weekly calls to Tesla, a Delivery Advisor has never contacted me. Meanwhile seemingly anyone else can place an order for a RWD, without a reservation, and they get contacted fairly quickly. So being able to sit down with someone from Tesla and have him schedule a delivery was great for me. The earliest for my config was 9/23 which is fine for me. Of course after he scheduled the pickup he said he could refresh my account and it would show the delivery date instead of the "Estimated delivery by late September". After a minute or so he said it usually only takes a couple minutes and I would be able to see it on my Tesla page. It's been over an hour and it still isn't showing the scheduled date. My account is cursed!

The Tesla employees were doing the best they could. At least three people walked up to me and asked if I had any questions. One time I was sitting way off to the side and still a nice man approached me and asked if he could help. He admitted that the event isn't well organized but I'm thinking this really must have been thrown together at the last minute. How else would you explain receiving an email at 6PM the night before the event? I asked someone if they are planning to hold more of these. He wouldn't commit to it but he said there's a good chance they will have this again next weekend and I would imagine at least until the end of September when the quarter ends. Hopefully they can do it for other locations, not just Fremont, CA.

Just got back from the event, they didn't have the spec I wanted on the lot, so one of the Tesla employees searched the local inventory for me, but found none nearby. I am now scheduled for delivery at the same location on September 22nd, but she said that if they find a match earlier they will be in touch with me. It was still worth the trip because my original date was the 26th.

For people showing up tomorrow, a few notes:
  • When you arrive you can just grab the check in form and then go and look for a car in the lot
  • If you find one that's available, you can take the paper tag and go straight to the desks at the back left as you enter the warehouse
  • If you don't find one, go to the right after you enter and speak to a Tesla employee to search the local inventory
  • You can do Tesla financing, cash, or 3rd party financing with a check in hand.
  • Most of the cars were RWD, most seemed to be white interior, but they had all different exterior colors

It’s probably an experiment. I think it could work for some buyers, if Tesla can smooth out the bumps and set expectations properly.

I suppose it’s cheaper than Tesla’s usual delivery process. So as long as it doesn’t damage goodwill too much, it should be worthwhile.

As I mentioned in another thread, yes I was there early enough to pick different color my config, but decided not to go thru as they have new updated prices +700 for the same config I currently have on order, and do a complete contract swap. They would not honor your original contract pricing.

The whole "wait for Advisor to text you - oh no just grab the tag" thing was extremely unhelpful. Which perhaps ironically was also the only reason all reasonable configurations were not swept out in the first 10 minutes...

Like I said all this is fine if that's how they wish to handle that. But I wish they would have explained that. By now I know exactly what I want, how much I am paying for it, and I don't want to get into crazy disputes competing with 10 other people for one car tag that doesn't even match my order. I wouldn't bother coming. I would insist on completion of the original config.

• Informative
Reactions: xkwizit
Here's my guess what's going on.

There have been numerous stories lately of people ordering cars and within a very short time having them delivered, meaning Tesla has built more cars than they have sold. This event seems to be getting rid of some of that excess inventory. Building cars "on spec" while people are waiting for their specially ordered models may be "justified" in some economic sense (economies of scale) but probably won't be popular.

I bet the parking lot will be full of a new bunch of cars to choose from tomorrow.

Not too surprised people who didn't find a car are upset, while those that got a car are happy (not ifound n this thread since they're likely driving around by now). Looks like a first come first serve, black friday'ish event.

They probably should have more overstock cars to bring out once most of the ones on the lot are taken. Otherwise I wouldn't say this type of event is a bad thing. Cars are taken because there are tons of happy people out there right now.

Right. But is that a good enough reason not to honor the contract you have already promised? I imagine there always be someone willing to pay at least 1k over my contract - does it mean I have to wait open endedly for Tesla to deem my contract matching the current market conditions? It wasn't signed out of market, it was the price both of us were agreeing to given then market conditions. As the tax squeeze looms, I imagine the market conditions will be less and less in my favor until tax is phased out.

Given the chaos I have just witnessed, I am all of a sudden far less sure about my delivery date.