Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Delivery Experience in Fremont

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That would violate Federal law. Monroney rules were set by Congress. When you place an order is irrelevant. You cannot have two identical cars going down the production line at different prices for the same market. You can have one priced for the U.S. and one behind it headed to Canada or another country.

That is why Tesla does not send out the MVPA until a day or two before delivery.
Would you be so kind and provide the regulation text?

I realize that is what it ended up being. But the email was fairly vague and I think it’s likely that many people interpreted it to mean they could get the car they ordered. Regardless, anyone with even a basic sense of customer service should see how this would look to their customers. Elon is always saying loyalty is the most important thing, so how does it make someone feel when they’ve been waiting for years for a car to get an email that basically says “come down and get it early!” And then they find out that if they were even able to find one they want, it would cost them thousands more than what they configured.

This event could have been a great success story with a little more transparency but instead it seems to have pissed off a lot of loyal customers.
I agree the email could have been written much better. In Tesla's defense, it was a rushed decision. Heck the email did not even go out until Friday night. (Jerome hitting the ground running?) Some of the Tesla employees who were there do not even work in the delivery department but came in anyway to help out. I think it was more of a test. Hopefully, they get it better next weekend in Fremont or if they do one in So Cal.

I went down this morning certain that they wouldn't have my configuration or an acceptable alternative. They did not have my configuration or an acceptable alternative. However, my OA hadn't been returning emails at all. So the kind Tesla folks were able to change from blue to silver with no upcharge. So the trip was certainly not without value.

My OA called me with his tail between his legs about a minute after the Tesla guy made the order change to silver. Really, it's not a big deal. I just want a car.

They had a lot of RWDs and not a few red Performance PUPs with white interiors. Basically, everything I saw was white interior which I don't want, which costs $1500 and which I'd replace with TSportline leather. It's not $1500 either. It's $1641 after taxes.

People were very nice and it wasn't very crowded. It was worth my time. I would recommend to anyone looking over the lot to use your cell phone camera to take a picture of the Maroney sticker. For the one car that was close to my specs, I took a picture and I can report that it was manufactured 8/18 which is nice to know.

Last edited:
That would violate Federal law. Monroney rules were set by Congress. When you place an order is irrelevant. You cannot have two identical cars going down the production line at different prices for the same market.

Hmm... Tesla has been honoring the price on the date of order. When the paint price, Dest. Fee, and the AWD upgrade price all went up a month ago, those who placed the order prior to the price increase date didn’t have to pay more.

When we bought our Volvo (directly from Volvo through their Overseas Delivery Program), the price went up about 5% after we placed the order, but Volvo honored the price as of the date of order.

Hmm... Tesla has been honoring the price on the date of order. When the paint price, Dest. Fee, and the AWD upgrade price all went up a month ago, those who placed the order prior to the price increase date didn’t have to pay more.

When we bought our Volvo (directly from Volvo through their Overseas Delivery Program), the price went up about 5% after we placed the order, but Volvo honored the price as of the date of order.
I did not say they could not honor the price. I said it would not be reflected on the Monroney. Tesla can sell the vehicle for whatever they want. This discussion started about "MSRP".

I did not say they could not honor the price. I said it would not be reflected on the Monroney. Tesla can sell the vehicle for whatever they want. This discussion started about "MSRP".

The Monroney sticker on my P3D+ picked up yesterday showed the new pricing but my MVPA and actual paid price showed the June pricing from my 6/27 order date. Tesla honored the original pricing and you can technically say that I paid under the MSRP. Car was built in August.

The Monroney sticker on my P3D+ picked up yesterday showed the new pricing but my MVPA and actual paid price showed the June pricing from my 6/27 order date. Tesla honored the original pricing and you can technically say that I paid under the MSRP. Car was built in August.
Thank you for that information. Hopefully, that will put this MSRP discussion to rest. The MVPA will always overrule the Monroney.

I agree the email could have been written much better. In Tesla's defense, it was a rushed decision.
I'm a little confused on this concept.

Folks are complaining that Tesla sorta botched this. And you're saying that in Tesla's defense, that they sort of botched this?

Now I'm hearing that the big event is going to spill into Monday too? Let's just keep doing it every day until all the misfits are cleared out?? Lots of folks getting cars way out of order, but at least they're being moved. I'm all down with it, as long as it doesn't mess up the delivery of the car that I've actually ordered and waited all this time for.

Reactions: SoCalGuy
Thanks for the suggestion! I’m nearly certain that it was empty, but I’ll double check on my way to work this morning. Unfortunately my parking spot is temporarily a few blocks from my home…

Ouch. I hope so too.

Hey, silly question, but you checked the hidden part of the trunk right? That's where I found the adapters in the showroom cars: lift up the removable panel at the bottom of the trunk to reveal more storage, and there they are. It's what Tesla calls the "cargo area" on p12 of the manual.

I'm a little confused on this concept.

Folks are complaining that Tesla sorta botched this. And you're saying that in Tesla's defense, that they sort of botched this?

Now I'm hearing that the big event is going to spill into Monday too? Let's just keep doing it every day until all the misfits are cleared out?? Lots of folks getting cars way out of order, but at least they're being moved. I'm all down with it, as long as it doesn't mess up the delivery of the car that I've actually ordered and waited all this time for.
Here is the timeline:

1) Sometime Thursday Jerome was promoted to President - Automotive. I am sure a mandate to move inventory came with it. As an insider we know he knows where the problems are and what needs the most attention first.
2) About 24 hours later an email goes out announcing an inventory sale in Fremont beginning 9AM the next morning. Whether the email was intentionally vague is unknown but it was out in a hurry while at the same time they needed to set up people, cars, and the facility for a sale the next morning.
3) Cars got sold on Sat and today. Probably not 400 but more than otherwise would be down the road today. Tesla buyers are a forgiving bunch once they drive away and the smiles replace the frowns.
4) Will they do better each day? I think you can count on that.
5) While some went away this weekend unhappy the consensus was the staff did a great job and tried their best to be helpful even searching inventory at other locations.

I think it is too bad Jerome was not in place months ago.

Thanks for the suggestion! I’m nearly certain that it was empty, but I’ll double check on my way to work this morning. Unfortunately my parking spot is temporarily a few blocks from my home…
White performance with black interior, aero wheels but would take 19s if they are short 18s. I responded to a delivery date email sent to my wife. Nothing back yet. Can you ask if they are extending this test process ?

I went down there today and it was MUCH better organized than yesterday. They know it's a bit rocky given a completely new process.

If you go and keep it mind you may walk out with a Model 3 much earlier than anticipated you'll be happy, especially if you're flexible on the config. If you go there expecting your exact config to be there by the time you arrive you'll be disappointed and it won't be worth going. Even if someone tells you your specific config is there, it may be gone 10 minutes later.

Overall I think this is an excellent strategy for Tesla - it'll just take them a bit to completely refine the process.

If I was given this opportunity with a week notice I would fly there from UT for ~$100 one way and just drive one home. Heck, I would likely even adjust my order to match a config available and be stoked. I actually don’t hate buying cars through a dealer, I just don’t like the commission based sales people and no other car company makes anything comparable. I might even pop for EAP. I honestly would get it, but it’s $5k I would rarely use and I wouldn’t want my wife using it. Feeling like Elon has totally given up on the day 1 peeps and is just needing cash which makes me question Tesla long term as a business model.

Day 1 peeps gave up Day 1 privileges as soon as they failed to act when given a chance to configure the first Tesla offered to them.

That’s what the line was for. Not first dibs on everything now and forever for perpetuity.