Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Delivery Experience in Fremont

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I was given this opportunity with a week notice I would fly there from UT for ~$100 one way and just drive one home. Heck, I would likely even adjust my order to match a config available and be stoked. I actually don’t hate buying cars through a dealer, I just don’t like the commission based sales people and no other car company makes anything comparable. I might even pop for EAP. I honestly would get it, but it’s $5k I would rarely use and I wouldn’t want my wife using it. Feeling like Elon has totally given up on the day 1 peeps and is just needing cash which makes me question Tesla long term as a business model.

The long term business model is currently affected by the short term need for survival...

upload_2018-9-9_11-59-10-png.333407

Interesting. They extended the delivery event into Monday saying only RWD cars will be available. Did anyone on TMC go and check things out on Monday?

I didn't receive the message about Monday. Maybe because they filtered out reservations that have VINs assigned already?

Mea culpa, time for some corrections regarding my Fremont Delivery Experience last weekend.

1) Tesla actually included the mobile connector and J1772 adapter for my Model 3 at the delivery event. I could have sworn that the frunk was empty, but I happened to open it this morning and there it was. (And now I own a spare J1772 adapter that I bought from their parts department...)

2) The phone dock is still included (the cables are too, though I had already located those). The wordless picture-instructions included with the cables are a bit misleading -- the entire front of the phone dock snaps off to allow you to guide the cables through.

I think the Delivery Experience is a great idea and it's nice to see a company trying to rapidly adapt their process to fit the circumstances. Hopefully Tesla will change their process to muster up enough reps to walk every customer through all of the physical goodies that come with the car to avoid future miscommunication.

Love my car (P3D+) so much. More than a little sad about my first ding -- a bit of curb rash. EAP is transformative for my long highway commute and I'd strongly recommend it for anyone who spends real time in the car.

Here is the timeline:

1) Sometime Thursday Jerome was promoted to President - Automotive. I am sure a mandate to move inventory came with it. As an insider we know he knows where the problems are and what needs the most attention first.
2) About 24 hours later an email goes out announcing an inventory sale in Fremont beginning 9AM the next morning. Whether the email was intentionally vague is unknown but it was out in a hurry while at the same time they needed to set up people, cars, and the facility for a sale the next morning.
3) Cars got sold on Sat and today. Probably not 400 but more than otherwise would be down the road today. Tesla buyers are a forgiving bunch once they drive away and the smiles replace the frowns.
4) Will they do better each day? I think you can count on that.
5) While some went away this weekend unhappy the consensus was the staff did a great job and tried their best to be helpful even searching inventory at other locations.

I think it is too bad Jerome was not in place months ago.

an email goes out announcing an inventory sale in Fremont
Whoa! Just to be clear, this is NOT what the invite said. It said "this is your opportunity to come pick up your Model 3 this weekend" VERY big difference. I actually called before making a big effort to get there, and was told I could head over and "Pick up my car". $53 later (lyft) and an hour later (5pm sat) I arrived and was informed they did not in fact have "my" car. They did tell me they had my exact config earlier in the day but they were already taken. So bottom line if I have waited 2.5 yrs (and out a thousand dollars) only to be thrown into a first come first serve free for all. Based on this the whole reservation process, at least for me, has been worthless.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
You misread the email. Read the posts.

This is an event to pick up a Model 3 earlier than expected, not THEIR ordered unit. People were invited to come see if one on the lot would satisfy them if an exact match was not available. It is an attempt to be sure these folks take delivery before 9/30.

If you read the posts many left without a car deciding to just wait for their ordered unit.

No, no . No offense but you are absolutely wrong. Cut and paste directly from my invite: As a future Model 3 owner in the Bay Area, this is your opportunity to come pick up your Model 3 this weekend.

You are wrong in that it did not say "pick up a model 3" it says "Pick up your model 3". Big difference.

Also, unless you received a different invite than I did, It also does not say anywhere that you were "invited to come see if one on the lot would satisfy them if an exact match was not available". I even called before going and was told by the rep, "you can pick up your car" The whole thing was VERY dissapoinitng

• Informative
No, no . No offense but you are absolutely wrong. Cut and paste directly from my invite: As a future Model 3 owner in the Bay Area, this is your opportunity to come pick up your Model 3 this weekend.

You are wrong in that it did not say "pick up a model 3" it says "Pick up your model 3". Big difference.

Also, unless you received a different invite than I did, It also does not say anywhere that you were "invited to come see if one on the lot would satisfy them if an exact match was not available". I even called before going and was told by the rep, "you can pick up your car" The whole thing was VERY dissapoinitng
Technically, picking up a model 3 makes it become your model 3.

Technically, picking up a model 3 makes it become your model 3.

This is correct. While I see the other point, you also have to consider Car buying marketing in general. How many commercials have you seen where the loud guy says something along the lines of "Come on down and get your "insert manufacture" while they last in stock"? It was meant to be more general like that. As in, we have cars here, come pick out yours. Again, I do see why other folks are angry. Just showing the other angle.

Last edited:
Reactions: webdbbt and Fiver
to be fair, I never read it as "come and pick your exact match order". From the very beginning i assumed it would be match or a close match. But I also assumed that (1) invitation would be exclusive enough so that they wouldn't have 1:15 offer/demand ratio (after all they had absolutely all the data for all configurations they invited), and that (2) they would just convert june prices into the final order if it needs last minute adjustements, but not just shove august windows stickers in the face.

If they took sufficient effort to provide some notice that they likely would not have the stock anywhere close to satisfy the demand (even simple clause like "limited stock availability is expected and assigned on first-come, first serve basis"), and if they disclosed that existing order agreement pricing would not be honored and full sticker price was expected, I would simply not show up and would be going about my business. And i would have absolutely 0 grudge against Tesla.

That what i was pretty worked up about. Their lightheadedness and complete disregard for their customer's time. Extremely very late notice. Failure to do full disclosure to a degree it borders on misleading and false promise. They just could not care less for my time. It was my daughter's birthday, and because of late notice it took a lot of family effort to re-arrange schedule and show up there (both of us have to sign). We almost decided to forego and wait for normal delivery, it was a fairly split decision. And then when we came, there was all the chaos of wait and misinformation (wait for text... watch videos... download the app... no, dont wait for text, go write down the vin you need... no, don't write it down, grab the tag instead...) . And when we finally got a chance to speak to anyone about the car, a full hour later, only to find out about bait-and-switch pricing, i was already pretty worked up about the whole idiocy.

And then they feed people post-factum "due to overwhelming demand we ... sorry" thing. No, this is plain and simple idiocy. You knew your stock and you knew who you sent the invites to. There's no way you did not know both numbers and couldn't compare upfront. Don't insult my intelligence. You've engineered the event's "overwhelming demand", either on purpose (so own it!), or by your own idiocy (double own!). I never show up for black friday events and i am not mad at the store chains in the slightest for holding them, because there's absolutely no illusions what those are. Who do they think their customers are to be able to drop 60-80k cash on their car, and how they make the money -- by throwing their time at attending black friday sales?

That. The idiocy. That's what's aggravating. There is no other word for something that is very easy to prevent by disclosing fully available information ahead of time, and think just one step ahead, and not just about next 5 seconds of the day. Remember, this comes on top of my very similar years-long idiotic experience with the residential power wall, so it is all too familiar and comes compounded on top of. I can forgive a lot of things, but repeated idiocy is very hard to forgo.

You could call me a Tesla fan. I watched their effort on their first roadster and followed them since then. As everyone i was impressed by their products and reveals. Similarly so for SpaceX. I have friends who work for SpaceX.

But for the last couple of years it is more like "the good, the bad, and the ugly": every bit without compromise. If they choose to be brilliant, no one else is more brilliant. But if they choose to be idiotic, no one else is more idiotic.

Last edited:
Tesla really needs to improve their communications. The person who wrote the email just needed to set the expectations properly and think through all the potential questions someone may have when they get the invite and put in a Q&A and detail the new process - even if experimental. Would have avoided a lot of frustrated folks.

I think they have the wrong people on the job for this type of stuff, especially on the communications side that is such a critical interface to the customer.

Last edited:
  • Love
I can put you at ease about the "fake" and the "conspiracy" concerns. While it has bothered me a bit to read the posts from people who've taken delivery of my configuration before me, it is the people who live in my community that have proven that these cars are being delivered in some mysterious ways. I've driven in my exact configuration car right here in town... owned by a guy who reserved and ordered after I did. This isn't some made-up internet thing. It's for real. And of course it isn't the end of the world or even of the company. It is merely frustrating for the otherwise patient and supportive customers.

If you were both paying cash, this is not acceptable. Something's gone wrong with your order, because identical orders from the same location should be in order of reservation or in order of "finalization"; anything else is absurd. I'd escalate and explain that something has gone wrong with your order, that it has gotten lost.

...though I see you say it's coming in 2-3 weeks. Probably the one they originally built for you was defective and they had to build another one and I bet they didn't tell you. (Sometimes people get told, sometimes they don't.)

And yeah. I am a bit. My car will be here 2-3 weeks from now... at the Fremont location where all these cars are being driven home same-day. And even that is a big maybe. Yet another friend today was denied delivery after a 1.5-hour drive to the delivery location. Apparently the car wouldn't accept software updates. Didn't find out until a few minutes before the appointment. :sigh:
Well, defective car is a legitimate reason for a delayed delivery -- at least they *told* him. Some people are just getting total radio silence.

That. The idiocy. That's what's aggravating. There is no other word for something that is very easy to prevent by disclosing fully available information ahead of time, and think just one step ahead, and not just about next 5 seconds of the day. Remember, this comes on top of my very similar years-long idiotic experience with the residential power wall, so it is all too familiar and comes compounded on top of. I can forgive a lot of things, but repeated idiocy is very hard to forgo.

You could call me a Tesla fan. I watched their effort on their first roadster and followed them since then. As everyone i was impressed by their products and reveals. Similarly so for SpaceX. I have friends who work for SpaceX.

But for the last couple of years it is more like "the good, the bad, and the ugly": every bit without compromise. If they choose to be brilliant, no one else is more brilliant. But if they choose to be idiotic, no one else is more idiotic.

Tesla have less communications competence than a squirrel.

Reactions: xanatos