Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Delivery Phases

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my poor wife stood in line at a Tesla showroom in the rain for several hours on the East coast to get our reservation on reveal day and we think we have a pretty good spot in line. But i'm curious how this will work. Since Tesla is starting distribution on the west coast then moving east, does that mean I will have to wait until all reservations are filled in the west before I get mine? If so, I might be waiting for 10 years, right? I might be better off ordering a second reservation out in Las Vegas here for my scheduled May 15 trip?

Same logic goes for US vs world, it is very likely at some point after US deliveries begin, outside US deliveries will also start - they are not going to wait till all US orders are done before world deliveries begin.

All we know is that Tesla employees have priority (which I think is great!), as well as current Tesla owners on the west coast of the US will have priority, then east coast owners, then others. Overseas right hand drive buyers will be last, much like the S and X orders.

That's all we know. My opinion is that the incredible number of Model 3 reservations is causing Elon and Tesla management to reconsider their timeframe on starting to build a second factory and Gigafactory. I think they will announce sites and construction timeframes next year.

This tweet from Elon kind of answers this question

Elon Musk on Twitter

He is basically saying that Day-1 East Coasters can expect to get their car before late West Coast orders. The point of the initial release on the West Coast is to be able to quickly QA early issues.

Michael DeLisi ‏@MICHAELSD01 Apr 3
@TechGrlTweeter @elonmusk Not fair for a late reserver in Cali to get it before a 1st-day reserver in NJ. Hopeful for batch shipments.

Elon MuskVerified account‏@elonmusk
@MICHAELSD01 @TechGrlTweeter Won't happen. Reason initial cars are delivered close to factory is to have rapid turnaround on early issues.

And it could very well be the same deal with existing owner priority as well. They know that existing owners near the factory are the best semi-beta testers of the very early cars. Issues they report will be real issues and not due to unfamiliarity with Tesla tech and Tesla can quickly get ahold of the car and look at it. Once things are flowing well they will want to go more to reservation order (although even then they will prioritize high option orders--that's a financial reason so totally different).

My opinion is that the incredible number of Model 3 reservations is causing Elon and Tesla management to reconsider their timeframe on starting to build a second factory and Gigafactory. I think they will announce sites and construction timeframes next year.
A fair opinion, but I don't think making new factories will be on the books in the immediate future. Mainly because I don't think they have the cash to do it right now. I think Musk's reference to rethinking production will be to activate more areas of the NUMMI factory more quickly than anticipated.

What will likely have more effect is if your in a low Tesla populated area. After the first couple 1000 are out, it won't matter which coast you live on. If your in a high tesla concentrated location on the east coast, expect to be fairly soon after the other priorities in your area: employees, previous owners ect.
And in your area, if you select I high optioned car, you'll be before employees and previous owners looking for lower optioned cars.

I think there's a real advantage in NOT being among the first 1000, or the first 10,000. Maybe not even the first 100,000. Tesla still is debugging S's and X's, though they are in wide (if not mass) production.
Yes, there will be bugs. Be nice if they (or most of them) get smoothed out before my 3 is ready to spec.
Robin

• Love
Reactions: jkk_ and HanSolo
So my poor wife stood in line at a Tesla showroom in the rain for several hours on the East coast to get our reservation on reveal day and we think we have a pretty good spot in line. But i'm curious how this will work. Since Tesla is starting distribution on the west coast then moving east, does that mean I will have to wait until all reservations are filled in the west before I get mine? If so, I might be waiting for 10 years, right? I might be better off ordering a second reservation out in Las Vegas here for my scheduled May 15 trip?

I would like to point out here that just because you make your reservation in Las Vegas doesn't mean you'll get placed in front of others on the East Coast. It all depends on the car's ultimate destination. I could go reserve a car next to Fremont, CA but that doesn't mean I'll receive it at the same time in Las Vegas as they do. This was confirmed by a Tesla Store rep as two of the people who reserved next to me where from Alaska and California (on vacation in Vegas).

What you should be asking yourself is whether or not you want to spend the additional funds on a Performance Model (with upgrades). This would place you in front of everyone else in the nation who is opting to go with the base model or upgraded battery. Tesla has (and has already stated) that they will prioritize the most expensive configurations first. So, you'll get your PXXD car on the east coast before a Californian ordering the base model. Hope this helps!

All we know is that Tesla employees have priority (which I think is great!), as well as current Tesla owners on the west coast of the US will have priority, then east coast owners, then others. Overseas right hand drive buyers will be last, much like the S and X orders.

That's all we know. My opinion is that the incredible number of Model 3 reservations is causing Elon and Tesla management to reconsider their timeframe on starting to build a second factory and Gigafactory. I think they will announce sites and construction timeframes next year.

this isn't quite right - i think east coast owners will be behind west coast non-owners. from their blog...

In order to be as fair as possible, there will be a different queue for each region. And as a thank you to our current owners, existing customers will get priority in each region.

Model 3 production is scheduled to begin in late 2017. When production begins, we will begin deliveries in North America starting on the West Coast, moving east.

different queue for each region, and starting on the west coast. i.e. if you are on the west coast and reserved in the first day or two, you're likely to get your car before someone on the east coast who ordered around the same time...regardless of whether or not they are a current owner. at least that's how i read it (and how it was communicated to me by a tesla rep via e-mail when i was trying to sort out my reservation and the issues i had with the website when trying to place one). east coast owners will be ahead of everyone else on the east coast, but not necessarily ahead of west coast non-owners.

Elon made some vague tweets that suggested that east coasters would get their cars before some west coasters. He even said many east coasters will also get the tax credit. It's all likely going to happen in waves (west to east) depending on configuration after the initial beta tester batch goes out to employees and west coast owners.

I think there's a real advantage in NOT being among the first 1000, or the first 10,000. Maybe not even the first 100,000. Tesla still is debugging S's and X's, though they are in wide (if not mass) production.
Yes, there will be bugs. Be nice if they (or most of them) get smoothed out before my 3 is ready to spec.
Robin
I have been singing this tune ever since I joined this forum. Remember that popular proverb that "good things come to those who wait?" The reality is that I like many others, have no interest in paying money to buy a car in order to beta test that car. When you look at the massive logistics related issues for Tesla's first venture into true mass production, this is NOT going to go well initially. There are going to be delays, production issues, labor issues, and sadly quality control issues that all will take some time after production to work out. Even the mass production experts in the industry like GM/Ford/Honda/Toyota all have trouble when it comes to Job 1 of a 1st model year vehicle. Most people except for the diehard enthusiasts tend to want to avoid Job 1 as a result. Sometimes it isn't till Job 2 or even 3 that some of the issues are worked out. If it means that I get my Model 3 12-18 months after the diehard "I love Tesla so much I stood in the rain for hours to reseve one" crowd, so be it. I envy that they will get theirs first, but I do not envy the fact that there are going to be issues.

Elon made some vague tweets that suggested that east coasters would get their cars before some west coasters. He even said many east coasters will also get the tax credit. It's all likely going to happen in waves (west to east) depending on configuration after the initial beta tester batch goes out to employees and west coast owners.

i only know what i was told by a tesla rep. i tried to put my reservation through on 3/31, and had issues with the site. when my card still wasn't charged the morning of 4/1, i put through another one and this time it worked (charged my card). i e-mailed them to try to confirm that i only had one reservation, and that i wouldn't lose my place in line from when i originally tried to reserve on the evening of 3/31. their response was that i only had one reservation (the one from the morning of 4/1), and that my 3/31 was unsuccessful...BUT, since i'm in CA, i'm likely to get my car first anyway since they're starting on the west coast. i'm not a current tesla owner, and that would have been easy for them to see from looking at my account...yet they still told me i'm basically close to the front of the line (of course anyone else in CA or on the west coast who reserved before me is still ahead of me, but i'm ahead of elsewhere in the country).

i don't doubt that some east coasters will get their car before west coast people, but i think that'll be for people who didn't reserve on day one (or close to it). for people who reserved reasonably near the beginning (first day or two maybe), west coast will get their cars first...that's how i've always interpreted it based on their blog post and their response to me via e-mail.

Reactions: melindav