Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Delivery Rescheduled 3 HOURS before pickup. Can we get compensated?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

So I was scheduled to pick up my Model 3 from the Toronto location on Wednesday. I had to take time off work and take the train to Toronto (I live in Ottawa). Literally 3 hours before the pick up time, I got a call saying that my car had been delayed until at least Friday. I understand delays are common but to tell me 3 hours before my pick up time? That morning I had even received a confirmation phone call to remind me to bring everything I needed to register the car.

I was wondering if anyone else had this experience and if they were successful in getting some kind of compensation for their inconvenience. At the very least I would like my re-booked train tickets to be reimbursed. I was also thinking of asking for some Tesla accessories.

Stuff happens. Be glad you didn’t make the trip and find out at delivery there was a problem that needed to be fixed. Asking for some compensation seems greedy.

Considering that I used a day of vacation (I get 10 days a year) and had to cancel and re-book train tickets because I already arrived in Toronto, I don't think it's greedy at all.

Not sure why you’re here asking about this as it appears what you really wanted was others to agree and support you.

If you feel wronged then take it up with Tesla, the only place where resolution can occur.

And yes, sucks the big one that the rescheduling happened, you had to take a day of vacation and so on. Sometimes things in life simply don’t go as planned.

Believe that Tesla does a final-final inspection, just prior to delivery. Want to catch any issues before turning over the car to it's new owner.

Alternative would be to just let you come to the delivery point, then be turned away.

Currently they are experiencing a super high rate of deliveries into Canada to qualify for Governmental rebates. This might be straigning their delivery system.

Maybe you could have your vehicle delivered to your house as an alternative to going to the delivery point.

Asking for compensation when they are just going through their normal proceedure seems to be a bit out of like. They are working hard to get everyone in Canada their cars.

Believe that Tesla does a final-final inspection, just prior to delivery. Want to catch any issues before turning over the car to it's new owner.

Alternative would be to just let you come to the delivery point, then be turned away.

Currently they are experiencing a super high rate of deliveries into Canada to qualify for Governmental rebates. This might be straigning their delivery system.

Maybe you could have your vehicle delivered to your house as an alternative to going to the delivery point.

Asking for compensation when they are just going through their normal proceedure seems to be a bit out of like. They are working hard to get everyone in Canada their cars.

I was told the car was held up at customs and not a mechanical issue. The car was literally not in the country

I empathize. My delivery was also delayed to this weekend (was supposed to pick it up last Tueday), and I got notified @ 5:30pm the evening before. As I've said multiple times this week - definitely frustrating given how long we've all waited. And...the textbook definition of a first world problem!!

their delivery schedules are just estimates until it physically arrives at the final destination. Issues out of Tesla's control like customs, mechanical issues with the trailer truck, the car arriving damaged are all things out of their control. The only alternative is for them to not give you a pick up date until it's physically in the service center. I can foresee that would go over well.

their delivery schedules are just estimates until it physically arrives at the final destination. Issues out of Tesla's control like customs, mechanical issues with the trailer truck, the car arriving damaged are all things out of their control. The only alternative is for them to not give you a pick up date until it's physically in the service center. I can foresee that would go over well.

I don't mind the delay, what really irritated me is that the car was held up at the border and they only told me 3 hours before my delivery time. They even called me the morning of to make sure I had all my documents in place. They should have known way in advance that the car was not going to make it for that delivery slot seeing as after it clears the border it still needs to be shipped to Toronto.

Reactions: AndreN
I don't mind the delay, what really irritated me is that the car was held up at the border and they only told me 3 hours before my delivery time. They even called me the morning of to make sure I had all my documents in place. They should have known way in advance that the car was not going to make it for that delivery slot seeing as after it clears the border it still needs to be shipped to Toronto.

Yes, that's definitely beyond the pale. There's no way that a car that hasn't entered the country should be communicated to the customer only a few hours before delivery. If it was a defect noticed during final pre-delivery prep, I'd see that as much more reasonable.

As for compensation? Personally I'd likely let it slide, but since this did have an actual cost to you and was something that Tesla should have handled better, perhaps asking for something that's useful to you but costs Tesla very little--eg gratis first annual service or something--would be appropriate.

Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
OP: I agree with your sentiment completely. Tesla should have done the "final" inspection whenever they wanted to do it, THEN inform you that the car is READY. That's just incompetence, especially with you coming so far away, and incurred expenses in getting there. The way I see it, even if this happens to you for a 2nd time, most people here will tell you to suck it up, life happens, blah blah blah.... The amount of slack given to Tesla is incredible. Oh well, Tesla wants to be different from "traditional dealers", this IS indeed "different", Lol.

I don't fault them for unforeseen challenges. Or even constraint challenges. But delivery smoothness is nothing more than good operations and planning - something they should be good at!

Telsa made the delivery date. Tesla knows exactly where the car is. There's no real excuse for alerting a customer three hours before delivery that the car isn't there.

There's a lot of work for the customer here - some people are arranging financing, taking off work, planning to sell/trade-in another car, etc. I don't think they deserve too much of a pass here. Take the time to get it right.

Once the car leaves the factory and the delivery is scheduled, you should be able to lookup the last check in point of the vehicle like tracking any other package. One would hope that Tesla is tracking the last known location of every car out for delivery. If UPS can do this for umpteen billion packages a year Tesla should be able to do it for a few thousand cars at a time. If you logged into your MyTesla page this morning as saw that your car was still in Michigan and the person who called you could see it as well, you wouldn't have gotten on that train.

Hey everyone,

So I was scheduled to pick up my Model 3 from the Toronto location on Wednesday. I had to take time off work and take the train to Toronto (I live in Ottawa). Literally 3 hours before the pick up time, I got a call saying that my car had been delayed until at least Friday. I understand delays are common but to tell me 3 hours before my pick up time? That morning I had even received a confirmation phone call to remind me to bring everything I needed to register the car.

I was wondering if anyone else had this experience and if they were successful in getting some kind of compensation for their inconvenience. At the very least I would like my re-booked train tickets to be reimbursed. I was also thinking of asking for some Tesla accessories.

Might want to update your profile to Ottawa. Makes it look like you live in Toronto and are complaining about just driving across town.

Once the car leaves the factory and the delivery is scheduled, you should be able to lookup the last check in point of the vehicle like tracking any other package. One would hope that Tesla is tracking the last known location of every car out for delivery. If UPS can do this for umpteen billion packages a year Tesla should be able to do it for a few thousand cars at a time. If you logged into your MyTesla page this morning as saw that your car was still in Michigan and the person who called you could see it as well, you wouldn't have gotten on that train.

You cannot see the car on my tesla prior to delivery. Used car sales between private parties if given login info sometimes.

Car transport logistics don't work exactly like UPS I am afraid to say.