Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Delivery situation in New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You need EAP or FSD for any form of summon
Safe to add:

Having premium connectivity and EAP/FSD, allows to have summon feature... but it doesn't guarantee that feature will actually work.
I had another one of those fiasco where I made mistake to show-off summon feature to friend, only to become laughing stock as car wouldn't move and come to me - however you can still move car forward or backword in straight line (helpful in tight parking space)

Safe to add:

Having premium connectivity and EAP/FSD, allows to have summon feature... but it doesn't guarantee that feature will actually work.
I had another one of those fiasco where I made mistake to show-off summon feature to friend, only to become laughing stock as car wouldn't move and come to me - however you can still move car forward or backword in straight line (helpful in tight parking space)
You don't need premium connectivity for summon
You need it for spying on your car
Those fancy coloured lines on the nav map,
Something to do while your charging and chilling
Teslas got talent sing alongs
Music sans radio
and probably loads other highly important things I've forgotten about

Standard connectivity free for eight years, then who knows what happens

• Informative
Reactions: Audietron
Thanks for correction...

Premium connectivity and FSD are major and only key part of my Tesla experience, once they aren't there - there is nothing left in car to even match traditional features in most modern cars (personal view)... so I mixed up necessity to have those two at times...

I am about to take our first trip from Wellington to Auckland in our model 3 anyone know where I may be able to get CCS or ChaDeMo adapter please? lol already have range anxiety, I just did a mini trip from wellington to Otaki and back total 163kms and had 55% battery left
Your New Zealand spec Model 3 comes with a CCS2 port as standard. If you have only charged at home you have used the Type 2 (Sometimes called Mennekes) top section of your charge port and the DC charge ports are the 2 larger ones at the bottom of the charge port.
Im not aware of a Tesla CHADEMO to CCS2 adapter, the Tesla CHADEMO adapter is built for Model S and X that do not have the 2 large DC ports at the bottom of charge port and it’s not compatible with a Model 3.
To make yourself feel better put the final address into your navigation system and your car will determine the route and plan the charge stops for you using Tesla Superchargers all the way to Auckland. My experience is that it’s uncannily accurate, particularly in summer.

• Informative
Reactions: Audietron
Has anyone got some realistic idea? I booked mine in January 2022. Will I be affected if the Price increased after I booked my vehicle?
Whereabouts are you in New Zealand? My buddy "Max" is in Dunedin-South Island and he received his Model 3 a couple of months ago. Max is still acclimating himself and is working thru charging issues at home. Not getting the mileage he expected?

I am about to take our first trip from Wellington to Auckland in our model 3 anyone know where I may be able to get CCS or ChaDeMo adapter please? lol already have range anxiety, I just did a mini trip from wellington to Otaki and back total 163kms and had 55% battery left

I’ve done that trip many times in my 2020 SR+.

Leave Welly at 100% and you will get to Mangaweka Supercharger (2+ hours without stopping) and arrive with more than 30%. Have a coffee or lunch (i recommend their mince pie or lasagna) and your call will have enough to get you to Taupo SC or even Hamilton perhaps if you recharge to >80%

Reactions: montybhai
I wouldn't worry about ChaDeMo, most chargers that are ChaDeMo are CCS as well, you can check that in plugshare
You can also modify plugshare filter to only show Type 2, CCS and Tesla
Tesla chargers in NZ are Type 2/CCS anyway depending on if it's a destination or supercharger, but you'll need to include Tesla in plugshare
Tesla has it's own category

You can also use A Better Route Planner, you can enter your type of EV model and charge level, starting location, destination
It will give you an idea of charge level on arrival and places to stop and charge on the way
You can also specify how much charge you want on arrival, it will calculate where and how much you need to charge
Also has an app
If the car going to arrive at close to lower limits I would charge longer to give you an extra margin for the unexpected

Last edited:
Hi,

waiting for M3, have est. delivery date between 12 Dec ~ 21 Dec 22, just run the VIN on carjam and result came back with vehicle details.

does this mean that my M3 is passed compliance and will be ready for delivery soon?
Yep!

As long as you're all paid up, I think the next step is they sort the vehicle registration and plates, and then sort delivery.
It can still take a little while though. I have a feeling they just brought in a whole heap of cars.

Mine cleared last Friday but won't be ready for pick up till Monday of next week, so 8 days or so.