Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Deposit Day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put down two deposits at Natick after dinner last night.
There were a few people in front of me and a few behind me...

I am actually not sure I'll need a new car in late 2017/early 2018 but who knows...
I thought I'd regret not having skin in the game if I did need to replace one of my cars.

I thought the unveiling was great, although I watched it this morning!

I am actually pleasantly shocked that the base car includes 215 EPA miles, auto-pilot HW
and supercharging!

Where have the tradeoffs been made? The trunk seems a bit lacking for sure!

Hi djpolong, in your e-mail, did you get an actual reservation number by chance? I'm assuming only previous owners get reservation numbers? Since it's my 1st Tesla vehicle, it looks like I only received a reservation confirmation without any reservation number. Bummer :(

My email did NOT have a reservation number. It just said I had two reservations and put my name and email address under the "Billed To" section.

TGA must have been a few ahead of me in line. I reserved my pair of 3's in Natick just before 11AM.

I didn't get an email until just before the 11:30 reveal. It wasn't until sometime this morning that MyTesla has my reservation numbers in there.
I was ~65th in line. I showed up at 6:45, thinking I had a shot at #1, but there were already 30 or so waiting. #1 told me he got there at 6, the mall was open, so he went in. A friend of mine couldn't make it until 7:30, so rather than having him cut, I joined him at the end (I wasn't first, so 30 spaces wasn't going to make much difference). It turns out ModelNforNerd came a few minutes after me, and I guess he and the people around him were wondering why I'd get out of line and go to the end. :)

Same timing for my email (just before reveal) and MyTesla update (some time this morning).

Curious to see what everyone thought about the unveiling last night? Worth waiting in line? IMO, absolutely I think this is going to be a game changer and am glad to have been involved in the process!
Still not 100% sold on the nose/front bumper and the single floating screen/lack of speedo behind the wheel, but that is unlikely to stop me (who knows how it will change - maybe we'll be surprised with a HUD). Would have preferred an S-like rear hatch, but that's not a deal killer. Depending on how the Y turns out, I may wait for it instead.

Need to try to get a decent night sleep tonight. I had 4 hours Wed night (up until 12:30 working on my Mini, up ~4:30), then 4 last night (stayed up for the reveal and then burned a couple hours here).

I was ~65th in line. I showed up at 6:45, thinking I had a shot at #1, but there were already 30 or so waiting. #1 told me he got there at 6, the mall was open, so he went in. A friend of mine couldn't make it until 7:30, so rather than having him cut, I joined him at the end (I wasn't first, so 30 spaces wasn't going to make much difference). It turns out ModelNforNerd came a few minutes after me, and I guess he and the people around him were wondering why I'd get out of line and go to the end. :)

Same timing for my email (just before reveal) and MyTesla update (some time this morning).

Still not 100% sold on the nose/front bumper and the single floating screen/lack of speedo behind the wheel, but that is unlikely to stop me (who knows how it will change - maybe we'll be surprised with a HUD). Would have preferred an S-like rear hatch, but that's not a deal killer. Depending on how the Y turns out, I may wait for it instead.

Need to try to get a decent night sleep tonight. I had 4 hours Wed night (up until 12:30 working on my Mini, up ~4:30), then 4 last night (stayed up for the reveal and then burned a couple hours here).

Yep, very odd to see someone voluntarily go to the back of the line. Of course, at 7am, we had no way of knowing there would be sooooooo many other people in the giant virtual line we're all in now....

I still have not received my thank you email....BUT....my credit card was charged almost instantly (USAA texted me because I never really spend that much in one transaction, so I had to confirm it was me...). A few hours later, I checked my (newly created) MyTesla page, and my Reservation Number is in there.

So I'm not going to panic about it. I'm "in line"....with 232,000+ of my new friends worldwide.

As for design, living in MA stinks, as whatever Tesla comes up with for the final look of the front end, I'll have to spoil with a front-mounted license plate. Add to that the drag coefficient Tesla is shooting for, and the plate might end up making an annoying noise at highway speeds. I might have to look for a plate holder with some "softer" edges when the time comes.

on the interior, I'd like to see SOMETHING in front of me. when I drive. I know one theory floating around out there is AP 2.0 will take over a lot of the driving, but......Elon mentioned that only the SAFETY features of AP would be standard, so things like AEB and TACC. We will still need to see Navigation info, speedometer, battery meter, and AP-engaged icons. The dash will evolve from what we saw Thursday night.

Other than that.....I'm all in. I really hope they are getting ready to ramp up in a big way. In the weeks leading up to the event, I was optimistic that all of the analysts who toured Fremont and the GF were on to something, talking about Tesla looking ready to scale up. I was hopeful that a big shocking announcement would be "...and we'll start delivering by this time next year!" but now that the orders are currently sitting at a number that is double the amount of Teslas ever built so far, that seems less and less likely.

What would cause you to pull the trigger on the X?

I want to spend more than 15 minutes driving one (did the quickie test drive a few weeks ago) and open the FWDs in my garage to check for space. I am also seeing too many initial quality issues that I am happy to let those in a rush to obtain their X uncover first. I'm getting close and was told the local sales office will have demo model in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks. Will do that as soon as I can free up some time. Need to drive it home and see that it fits ok in the garage.
Let me know if they actually let you do that. My test drive was cancelled due to the third row recall and they didn't even bother to call me and let me know. Drove over an hour there and all we could do was look at the car in the store. Thanks Tesla.
On a related note - the Natick store is now taking reservations for test drives

Let me know if they actually let you do that. My test drive was cancelled due to the third row recall and they didn't even bother to call me and let me know. Drove over an hour there and all we could do was look at the car in the store. Thanks Tesla.
On a related note - the Natick store is now taking reservations for test drives

Will let you know if I can do that and yes, I would be very annoyed if I showed up and was told no test drive. I am still somewhat hesitant to place an order for another month or so to let them get a little more down the road with QA/QC issues. I am very happy that I did not get one of the very early MS as I have have have very few issues with mine and I would want to keep it that way with any MX.