TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model 3 depreciation

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Grifon, Nov 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Grifon

Grifon Member

The typical new car loses 30% of its value after 2 years, 50% after 4 years.

With the M3 having the capability for full autonomous driving, and the ability to actually offset the cost of ownership via the Tesla Network, what would be expected for depreciation? I would think the demand for used Model 3's 2 years from release would be very high as people start to purchase used cars as an investment opportunity. A fully autonomous Model 3 could generate $10's of thousands of dollars per year depending on the market and how revenue sharing will work with Tesla.

After 2 years, there will still be 2 years of warranty in place with another 6 years of drive train and battery warranty. So, what are the thoughts on the Model 3 depreciation schedule for Model 3?

2. number12

number12 Active Member

Just Bc car can make money doesn't mean new ones will not come out... do you really think a 1st gen model 3 will be go out and make you money?!

• Like x 1
  3. Jayc

Jayc Member

Taking model S as guidance, the only definite prediction we can make at this point is that Model 3 will most likely depreciate less than its main competition. The fact that it comes with features that can be unlocked later means it will hold value in the used market.

• Like x 1
  4. number12

number12 Active Member

Most competitors do not have a $7500 credit. At least upfront it

5. Dakkor

Dakkor Member

"I wonder how much the car I will received in 2018 will sale in 2022..."

6. MitchJi

MitchJi Trying to learn kindness, patience & forgiveness

I believe that the depreciation will be either zero or positive (sell it for a profit) if you get the tax credit, at least until Tesla can produce enough cars to meet demand, which will probably be at least four or more years.

It's an extremely popular car, there will be a huge increase in demand after the car is shipping. Plus the possible income from TE.