Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Design Studio Open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if you design yours today, you only have to tie up $2500 while those of us who reserved on day 1, have to tie up $3500 ($1000 deposit plus $2500)???

Not really fair on Tesla's part. Makes the cost of canceling for whatever reason $1000 higher for those early dedicated reservationists.

Not really. Your $1000 still went towards the price of the car. You basically just made a slightly bigger down payment in exchange for the right to get a LR sooner than the general public.

Not really. Your $1000 still went towards the price of the car. You basically just made a slightly bigger down payment in exchange for the right to get a LR sooner than the general public.
Yes - but Tesla should have just made those with reservations pay the extra $1500. Now once you've placed your order both the $1000 and the $2500 become non-refundable. So if you need to cancel your order for whatever reason, you don't just lose $2500 like the newbies but you lose an additional $1000 for a total of $3500. That's just not cricket.

The reservation system was never going to last forever folks. At some point, Tesla was going to have to open it up to the general public. Even if they did finish existing reservations, new people are placing reservations. If Tesla just focused on finishing reservations first, they would be stuck in a loop of fulfilling new reservations forever.

Yes - but Tesla should have just made those with reservations pay the extra $1500. Now once you've placed your order both the $1000 and the $2500 become non-refundable. So if you need to cancel your order for whatever reason, you don't just lose $2500 like the newbies but you lose an additional $1000 for a total of $3500. That's just not cricket.

Wasn't the $1000 reservation fee refundable though? I am pretty sure it was. Your Tesla account had a link that you could call to request a refund if you were cancelling your reservation. And I know folks on this forum have been able to get a refund. It's only the $2500 order that was ever non-refundable.

• Disagree
Reactions: SoCalGuy
Wasn't the $1000 reservation fee refundable though? I am pretty sure it was. Your Tesla account had a link that you could call to request a refund if you were cancelling your reservation. And I know folks on this forum have been able to get a refund. It's only the $2500 order that was ever non-refundable.

Once you paid the $2500, I don't think you could get either the $1000 or the $2500 back unless you cancel within 3 days. I remember reading that people wanted to cancel (after 3 days) but were told they will lose the $3500.

• Informative
Reactions: SoCalGuy
I went ahead and actually read the fine print in the Motor Vehicle Purchase agreement.

"Your Order Payment is fully refundable only until your order is matched to a Vehicle, at which point it becomes nonrefundable." This was in bold print. So you have untill you're "issued a VIN" or whatever the new equivalent is to cancel with a full refund. Nothing about providing notice before it happens though.