Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 didnt brake / stop!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wife was taking our daughter to her taekwondo class this evening and there was snow falling here in Brampton. Was on the phone with her and she insisted the car seemed to be slipping and while on the phone I hear her yell " Omg, omg!!". She's like I braked but the car didn't stop at a stop sign just slid. I asked her how bad were the roads and she said it wasn't too bad. So I decided to call her again after an hour or so once they got back home and first thing she tells me is she won't be touching that car again. I asked what happened and she said it didn't stop again and luckily car infront got out of her way in time with a gesture and a honk after. Then she said a message appeared somewhere along the lines of " if vehicle doesn't stop/brake contact telsa". She said she didn't remember exactly the words but along those lines. I don't have snow tires on them appt is next Friday. However roads weren't that bad to where the car wouldn't stop....I'm in the States and kind of worried and upset at the same time thinking I got her a car I felt was safe and she's telling me she wouldn't get in it.again sorry to make this long but anyone else have this problem?? On phone holding for an hour with telsa hopefully they can provide some answer. First post here also.

Wife was taking our daughter to her taekwondo class this evening and there was snow falling here in Brampton. Was on the phone with her and she insisted the car seemed to be slipping and while on the phone I hear her yell " Omg, omg!!". She's like I braked but the car didn't stop at a stop sign just slid. I asked her how bad were the roads and she said it wasn't too bad. So I decided to call her again after an hour or so once they got back home and first thing she tells me is she won't be touching that car again. I asked what happened and she said it didn't stop again and luckily car infront got out of her way in time with a gesture and a honk after. Then she said a message appeared somewhere along the lines of " if vehicle doesn't stop/brake contact telsa". She said she didn't remember exactly the words but along those lines. I don't have snow tires on them appt is next Friday. However roads weren't that bad to where the car wouldn't stop....I'm in the States and kind of worried and upset at the same time thinking I got her a car I felt was safe and she's telling me she wouldn't get in it.again sorry to make this long but anyone else have this problem?? On phone holding for an hour with telsa hopefully they can provide some answer. First post here also.

The stock tires are slick in any snow condition - and there is very little regen in those conditions. Not being use to using the brake doesn’t help either.

There is probably absolutely nothing wrong with the car. You just don’t have the right tires on yet and an adjusted driving style...

Like she pressed the brake pedal and the car wouldn't stop? Or she was expecting the regenerative braking to stop/slow the car and it didn't engage? Because those are 2 very different things and any discussion of one won't really be applicable to the other.

The stock tires are slick in any snow condition - and there is very little regen in those conditions. Not being use to using the brake doesn’t help either.

There is probably absolutely nothing wrong with the car. You just don’t have the right tires on yet and an adjusted driving style...

Agree but it's how she explained it, car shakes when trying to brake and "if vehicle doesnt stop contact telsa" are the concern for me. Roads were mote wet as to full on snow.

Like she pressed the brake pedal and the car wouldn't stop? Or she was expecting the regenerative braking to stop/slow the car and it didn't engage? Because those are 2 very different things and any discussion of one won't really be applicable to the other.
Pressed the brakes and wouldn't stop.said it just shakes as if it's trying to stop but isn't. She doesn't really use Regen alot. Also low speed, local roads. So nothing like coming off a. highway or something.

Pressed the brakes and wouldn't stop.said it just shakes as if it's trying to stop but isn't. She doesn't really use Regen alot. Also low speed, local roads. So nothing like coming off a. highway or something.

Like ABS kicking in on a slick road - which is like “just shakes”?

Doesn’t need much snow to clog up the crappy all seasons and cause the car to slip/slide when you want it to stop.....

That situation is my worst nightmare. Sorry to hear your wife experienced it. Either rotors were wet and trying to dry (shuttering) or she was pushing accelerator (brake cuts off motors/overpowers motors). Regen brakes don’t dry rotors and regen will let go if slowing with regen and hit wet manhole cover for instance. Curious if tesla finds fault/error but doesn’t sound like tires unless a patch of ice near stop sign.

Tesla tech told you “motors were spinning when they shouldn’t have been”?

Or your wife/you feel they shouldn’t have been?
SC appointment sat
That situation is my worst nightmare. Sorry to hear your wife experienced it. Either rotors were wet and trying to dry (shuttering) or she was pushing accelerator (brake cuts off motors/overpowers motors). Regen brakes don’t dry rotors and regen will let go if slowing with regen and hit wet manhole cover for instance. Curious if tesla finds fault/error but doesn’t sound like tires unless a patch of ice near stop sign.
Will update after SC appointment. Fingers crossed.

Reading you are still on All Seasons, was Regenerative Breaking still on the Standard setting? The shaking feeling to me could have been ABS/traction control while on Standard Regen.

I only question it because I had to do an errand this evening while the snow was coming down and had a slight slide on my street while braking but I still had regen on Standard. I changed regen to low and was ok for the drive. Roads were snow covered, and still on All Seasons.

Reading you are still on All Seasons, was Regenerative Breaking still on the Standard setting? The shaking feeling to me could have been ABS/traction control while on Standard Regen.

I only question it because I had to do an errand this evening while the snow was coming down and had a slight slide on my street while braking but I still had regen on Standard. I changed regen to low and was ok for the drive. Roads were snow covered, and still on All Seasons.
Regen is set to low. Her settings are as close to an ice.you can get, doesn't use Regen much anyways. She was.even saying it couldn't get.up our driveway with a little snow.

I'm interested to see what happens after your SC appointment. I'm in North Brampton and we had a lot of snow. I didn't experience the braking issue but had to be lighter on the acceleration. I did notice it handle a lot better than my bmw. I have rwd, all seasons and full Regen on.

Last edited:
All-season tires are more like no season tires and glad you’re getting winter tires next week. Under 7 degrees C and tires are hard as hockey pucks and won’t help out much in even a small amount of snow. I was stuck once on a small incline in my ICE car and that embarassment made me realize all-season tires are useless in the winter.

Sounds like the abs kicked in if the brakes/car were shaking or vibrating. Glad nobody was hurt and reassure your wife that winter tires will make a huge difference. The only thing that touches the road surface are the tires, so it doesn’t matter how good your brakes are if your tires aren’t suited for the conditions. That’s why I have Nokian Hakka R3’s for most of the winter and also a set of Nokian Hakka 9 studded tires when the roads are icy.

Last edited:
I'm a culprit for having a lead foot...even more so in the model 3...had to be careful today. Even though I was driving like a grandma, I hit a patch of black ice which was fun. The car started to fish tail but corrected itself right away. Thought I was going to slid into the center median